Author Topic: 3D won't turn on. Where do I start?  (Read 12847 times)

40 caliber

3D won't turn on. Where do I start?
« on: July 22, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
i went to start a pork but this evening. put in the smoker. plug it in. turn it on,,,,wait? nothing?

1. Check the GFCI plug, ensure the circuit is fine
2. change plugs, nothing wont turn on.
3. plugged a fan into the plugs I was using. to confirm there was power- Confirmed.

Where do i start? I am no wrench...

pull the back off make sure the plug is connected?
pull the PID and send it to someone to check?

It worked fine the last time i used it. It was raining but I cover it with a large tarp with only the smoke hole visible to water. I shut if off when i was done. it just refuses to start.

the pid is showing no temp, no lights of any kind. the only thing that just occurred to me is plugging it in and seeing if it got warm. that at least could show power to the unit vs lights on the PID?

thoughts?
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

ibbones

Re: 3D won't turn on. Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:35:10 PM »
Any luck?  Is it working now?
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

40 caliber

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:11:04 PM »
no, i dont know where to start. is there a fuse in the auber to check?  i will pull it this weekend and see what i can tell. open to any other thoughts.

i will check to make sure the cord is still connected. i have read that can be an issue
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Call Steve at SI. They will walk you through how to figure out what's wrong.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 04:57:54 PM »
This happened to me.  The switch on the Auber burned up on the inside.  I sent it back to Auberin and they replaced it for $10. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:32 PM »
I have had the tiny fuse blow. Couldn't get it anywhere local & had auber send me a couple. They said that it was uncommon to blow one.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

40 caliber

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 10:18:21 PM »
where is the fuse and what does it look like?

if that's not it, i guess I will send to auber. anything in need to know to pull this apart?
Tom From NH

Walt

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 11:17:19 PM »
On mine it is on the back located under the cap that reads "fuse"
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

40 caliber

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »
On mine it is on the back located under the cap that reads "fuse"

I assume this is after you unscrew the PID? i dont have anything that says that. I will be pulling the auber open tomorrow and see what i can see.

any other hints welcome!!!!
Tom From NH

Walt

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
I have an independent PID, not integrated. Sorry, that's all the info I have to offer.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

40 caliber

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »
I have an independent PID, not integrated. Sorry, that's all the info I have to offer.
Thanks Walt! anything helps!
Tom From NH

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
Tom - I'm not able to open up my controller as I am on the road. Makes sense that there would be an internal fuse. If you find it let us know. Should prove useful to all D model owners. I plan on opening mine when I return home  and have a look around.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

40 caliber

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 03:54:46 PM »
Well ,i did not find a fuse or anything that looks like one but i will wait for sarge to confrim
1. real easy to open , just 5 or 6 screws.
2. looks easy enough to swap out if necessary
3. I discovered a hole in the front of the unit, see picture. Now the hole looks obvious but that was after lifting the unit up and putting it back. I had seen what looked like a scratch on the panel and assumed there was green plastic underneath. In reality, the green was the circuit board

4. My neighbor brought over his voltage tester and we confirmed current (when plugged in obviously) from the plug, to the cord to the wires going into the PID>

I am leaning toward just ordering a replacement PID unit for $189 and cutting my losses. I have used this in the rain under a tarp and i'm pretty sure  it has gotten water on the unit. I doubt there is a debug / rebuild for this less than just getting a replacement pid. what do you guys think?

any other thoughts?
Tom From NH

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 04:37:51 PM »
what do you guys think?

I feel bad for you, if you had bought analog you would still be smoking. Even if you added a PID later you could still be cooking if the PID died.

My #3 has sat outside uncovered since I bought it, still smoking....
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

40 caliber

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 06:08:04 AM »
Don't feel bad, i'm a big boy, i made my choices!  I probably smoked 3 years of food in a year on this thing! it's doesnt sit still.

I do agree with you, however, I had a 2 before i went to a 3D. I basically sold the 2 for not much more than what the replacement PID is going to cost me. I wish I kept the 2 along with the 3.  not only as a back up, but i think it smokes a little differently.  I was concerned when i upgraded because I usually go for simpler over technical and it was really a toss up on this one.

it's still a toss up but i got what i got.
Tom From NH