Author Topic: Questions about smoking a Leg of Lamb  (Read 3125 times)

kelvinator

Questions about smoking a Leg of Lamb
« on: December 18, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
Okay so in the sample pack of wood I ordered from Maine Grilling Woods it comes with some Atlantic Olive wood. The site says it goes well with lamb. Either way I have been interested in trying to smoke a Leg of Lamb and I have a couple questions regarding doing so.

1)I think ideally I would like to smoke the Lamb to an IT lower than what I want the final product to be at which is 130-135 degrees and then sear it on the grill or in the oven to finish it off. So my question is should I go for grill or oven.

2) What IT should I pull the lamb from the smoker and start the sear?

3)How long should I sear it for?

4)Also what is a reverse sear?

5) How long should I let it rest for? Just curious to hear some peoples opinions. I saw some people say on the smokingmeatforum they let it rest for 2 hours which is ridiculous to me and I am quite positive meat does not need to rest that long. At least not leg of lamb.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA
New to smoking but worked as a cook for 4 years

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Questions about smoking a Leg of Lamb
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »
1)I think ideally I would like to smoke the Lamb to an IT lower than what I want the final product to be at which is 130-135 degrees and then sear it on the grill or in the oven to finish it off. So my question is should I go for grill or oven.

2) What IT should I pull the lamb from the smoker and start the sear?

3)How long should I sear it for?

4)Also what is a reverse sear?

5) How long should I let it rest for? Just curious to hear some peoples opinions. I saw some people say on the smokingmeatforum they let it rest for 2 hours which is ridiculous to me and I am quite positive meat does not need to rest that long. At least not leg of lamb.

1) Both should work but grill will give some pretty marks.
2) I would think 125 would give you room for temp creep after pulling and a quick sear.
3)If done by grill, high temp and a few minutes on each side to get the appearance and sear.
4)Reverse sear is exactly what you are asking about.  It is done after the primary cook rather than before it goes in the smoker.
5)Average of 20 minutes would be fine I would think. 

Just my 2 cents.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah