Author Topic: Wild first run with new 3D  (Read 3350 times)

DixonM

Wild first run with new 3D
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:44:52 AM »
Man I feel like I was using the old stick burner last night. First run on this new 3D bought a beautiful 10lb pork butt for first run popped it in and set the timer I used 190 for 2 hours and 225 until 195 temp. So I decide to watch it because it seemed to do some odd things with temp on break in well when I watched it at 190 deg I had a 10 deg fluctuation,then I went out at 10 pm for the jump to 225 deg the machine started to climb to 250 deg wear I shut it down. I ended up baby sitting it utill I got it figured out. My PID sittings were no were near the factory settings So I started there and with this forum I was able to get it close I ended up at these settings and from 1:45 this morning to know it has been with in 2 deg from the time I left it.
P 50
I 840
D 135
At 1:45am I put a pan of beer in the case turned the temp to 230 and was at the point if this did not work O Well I gave up and went to bed I need my beauty sleep or else. ;)
It smells good this am and is setting at stall temp we will eat it around 3pm if we are on time fingers crossed.   

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild first run with new 3D
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »
I hope it all turns out well. I have never don a two temp smoke.  I just set the smoker at 225 (most of the time) and the meat IT for 195ish and let it go. Never had a problem.  I couldn't even tell you what my PID settings are.  Never thought to look them up. But I get consistently good results.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DixonM

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »
I was doing this to help try and keep the wood from igniting. On a good note just came back in from another check on temp so at 6am 232, at 8am 232, and 9am 232deg, I checked the settings and It was set on 232 deg I thought I left it at 230 deg early this AM. I can not complain about that. I was going to run an auto tune after this cook and see what it comes up with. Just searching to see how to do the auto tune.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Dixon, did you find the autotune instructions in the Auber section?  It's the same.  And, how did the butt turn out?  I bet your initial climb to 250 was still due to wood combustion.  190 is too high for a stepped approach to keep wood from igniting in a 3; the burner stays on way too long.  Use 140 for 30-45 min, then step to 225.  As an alternative, just put a little foil under the wood and start out at 225...problem solved! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DixonM

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
Butt turned out good not my best but it did have some hiccups. It was on the smoker for 20 hrs total time. As for the wood I did have double layered foil with 4 holes exposed both blocks came out like lump charcoal. The PID was not set some of the values were set at zero when I first went through them I think it may have been missed but that is why we started with a butt they are very forgiving and not to costly. My plan is to do the auto tune this week. I will admit I did just take a crash course for PID controller settings I wrote down some notes and printed some tech info I will be better informed next time.Hard to believe but early in the AM I was wishing I had an analog over ride.     
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:14:09 PM by DixonM »

DixonM

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
Ran the auto tune today it came up with
P 106
I 779
D 194
I ran the test with a small pan of water and four red bricks on two shelves I did not install the floil I wonder if it would make much of a difference?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »
Think about a $5 chicken or some wings for your next test.  Cheap, good eats and a fairly short smoke time.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DixonM

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 08:04:03 PM »
I think the next run will be another butt with Mr Tonys brine. Local WD had them on sale for .99 cents per pound over the weekend and I bought two 9 pounders and put them in the freezer. Bought some 3.5gal food grade buckets and the rest of the items I did not have cant wait till the next smoke. :D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 08:16:01 PM »
I was just thinking it would be an easier test of the controller adjustments than an all day smoke. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
You settings should be close.  Good luck with the butt!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DixonM

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 12:36:12 PM »
Ok just stopping back in to date I have cooked 3 more boston butts, 1 picnic ham, 2 briskets, 3 turkey breast, and 2 sets of baby back ribs on my machine only other issue I have had was with the temp probe and a may be my fault to close to the bone so know i use time and my maverick as a back up. Tonight I have another boston butt that was brined in DivotMaker Jucie man is that stuff good.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:41:14 PM by DixonM »

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »
Thanks!  Glad to hear you like the brine!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DixonM

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 09:26:42 AM »
Still running like a champ I have cooked 2 briskets for christmas 1 for new year's eve a picnic ham and a boston butt this year so far for friends and family events. Love this smoker know my temps are rock solid and every one says the meat that comes out of it is great. ;D