Author Topic: Should I buy a used #3D?  (Read 2546 times)

Slvrsurfer

Should I buy a used #3D?
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »
Hey guys, after seeing the number of recommendations and the active community, I decided to get a #3D for my first electric smoker.  I am currently saving up for one but then stumbled on a used #3D on craigslist. The smoker was purchased in March 2016 and attached is a pic of the interior.   The outside looks great and has a cover. Do you recommend hopping on this for $500-600 or just buying new?

polarlys

Re: Should I buy a used #3D?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
I saw one here on the forum just the other day from a member in northern Ohio offered for $450.   I wouldn't hesitate to go for a used one.   From what I've seen here there's not much to go wrong that isn't easily repaired.

Roger from NJ
a happy 3d addict
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:13 PM »
For that kind of money I would for new. However,  if you can see it power up and all works well, maybe worth a chance, but not at the $500 mark. At least not for me.  I don’t know if the warranty is transferable. So you might get left high and dry down the road.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 12:20:01 PM »
I'm assuming it comes with more than just the one rack.  I'd also check all of the cables for any wear and tear.

Otherwise, turn it on and make sure it will come on to prove the element works.  I suppose the PID could be bad, but if it looks like it's been cared for and all then there probably isn't much risk.

Any word on why it's for sale?  With a new 3D being $870 (including shipping), I'd probably offer $500.  If it comes with any wood or other accessories than that's all just gravy.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

40 caliber

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 05:39:34 AM »
My 3D broke and i fixed it. I am no wrench. it's a simple box so even if something went wrong with it, it's not hard to fix. even replacing the PID is simple. My point is as long as the price is good, you wont get stuck.. Under $500, it's a "smokin" deal. ;)
above, its a good deal and it's all about your price point. Other than that, I love the size of my 3D. i upgraded from a 2 with no regrets!

Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

JSRFrench

• International Oilfield, Biker, Barbecue & Sports
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »
I would offer $400 for a used smoker.
There is not much that can go wrong with them which is not easily repaired.
Have had my 3 for close to 5 years, it actually gets a bit better with age.
J. French