Author Topic: The Briner  (Read 11329 times)

TX Gent

Re: The Briner
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 07:36:56 AM »
Picked up the 22qt Briner "on sale" from Cabela's website and plan to use it with this years Thanksgiving Turkey Brine.

It's a really nice way to keep any amount/size of meat under brine with the adjustable level disc ....really cool design and I wish I had one years ago....oh well, moving forward it's a keeper!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

raymillsus

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
So quick question I have read on here that you can brine a turkey that has a 3-4% solution. THe one I bought (Wife bought) is 8% I have never brined a prebrined turkey. But here is my plan.

I bought Cabelas Poultrey brine mix (Honey one)
Says to brine for 24 hrs I will  put it in the briner for 24ishhrs
Before putting it on the #3 my plan was to rinse it, rub it with Dizzy Pig's Mad Max Turkey rub.
Use Peacan, Cherry, and Peach wood for the smoke (read that is a great combination) I do have Hickory and Tequila/Jimbeam barrel too.
Put my ice bags on the breasts for 20 min or so to chil down the breasts. (I do this as I think they need to be colder so allow the dark meat to get to temp first.
IT in the breasts gets to 165 thigh is 175
Smoke at 225 until 140 it then crank up to 250?

We are doing this at the campgrounds so what I have will be limited but thoughts on this plan? The brineing and wood choice are, kind of, only thing that has me concerned. The solution is double what I have read on here is ok to brine at. And I have never used any of the woods that I bought that I read on here. :) I am going to put the bird in the brine tomorrow morning. and that will do it I think. All the wood I have is from Fruita Wood chunks.

Thanks for your help here. I know I may be overthinking this and if so just tell me to stop overthinking it. I am a big boy and can take it.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

TX Gent

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »
Good morning Ray ...

I'm going down the same road you are with a pre-brined 8.36lb young turkey this Thanksgiving

Mine was free with a $100. purchase at the grocery store a few weeks back. Reading the label the bird was injected with 9.5% of broth,salt, sodium phosphate, sugar and flavoring....humm ... but contains no gluten or MSG ... Praise The Lord and pass the gravy!

My plan is to brine the bird for 8 hours using 1 cup of Kosher salt and 1 cup of cane white sugar and that's it. Then wash and rinse well, dry with paper towels and put back in refrigerator to air dry overnight. TG morning, I'll pull the bird early and liberally sprinkle inside out with a mix of black pepper and sweet paprika, but no more salt or any oils or other binders.  I'll stuff the cavity with apples/oranges/onions all quartered to fill'er up.

Smoking will be @250 for how ever long it takes to get to 165 internal with both thighs and breast probed and monitored. The only addition to the smoker will be an aluminum boat with apples/oranges/onions again quartered and with a small amount of water to start. The fruit will caramelize and add to the wood flavoring. My wood choices are a mix of pecan and peach wood.

I too tend to overthink things but simple seems to work really well in these smokers as I'm proof of it...lol

Happy Thanksgiving Ray!

John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

raymillsus

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »
Good morning Ray ...

I'm going down the same road you are with a pre-brined 8.36lb young turkey this Thanksgiving

Mine was free with a $100. purchase at the grocery store a few weeks back. Reading the label the bird was injected with 9.5% of broth,salt, sodium phosphate, sugar and flavoring....humm ... but contains no gluten or MSG ... Praise The Lord and pass the gravy!

My plan is to brine the bird for 8 hours using 1 cup of Kosher salt and 1 cup of cane white sugar and that's it. Then wash and rinse well, dry with paper towels and put back in refrigerator to air dry overnight. TG morning, I'll pull the bird early and liberally sprinkle inside out with a mix of black pepper and sweet paprika, but no more salt or any oils or other binders.  I'll stuff the cavity with apples/oranges/onions all quartered to fill'er up.

Smoking will be @250 for how ever long it takes to get to 165 internal with both thighs and breast probed and monitored. The only addition to the smoker will be an aluminum boat with apples/oranges/onions again quartered and with a small amount of water to start. The fruit will caramelize and add to the wood flavoring. My wood choices are a mix of pecan and peach wood.

I too tend to overthink things but simple seems to work really well in these smokers as I'm proof of it...lol

Happy Thanksgiving Ray!

Happy thanks giving to you too Gent.

I think I am going to go ahead and brine for the 24 hrs as re-reading the jar it says "For atleast 24 hrs" to me that means it is not real strong. But the other folks are also doing turkeys at the campgrounds by means of Frying them. If ours does not turn out we will still eat :) Brining an already injected turkey is really new to me as I have always been told never do it unless fresh. But Everything i have followed here has been spot on. I am still reading. :)

Thanks for your reply.
-Ray
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

Walt

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 11:31:00 AM »
There are many more cost effective ways to brine something. It is expensive for a moulded piece of plastic. That being said, I have both sizes and love them. If your budget permits, they are a nice addition for this hobby.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 09:51:51 PM »
Do you have a deli or restaurant in your neighborhood? Maybe even a grocery store? A deli a few blocks from my house occasionally advertises stacks and stacks of pickle buckets available... for free. These are 5 gallon buckets that their pickles come in, so they are food safe, have lids, and are FREE! You could talk to someone at your grocery deli, or neighborhood restaurant or cafe, school cafeteria, (or anyone you know in hospitality or food service) and see if they throw away large food buckets. Small neighborhood places are more likely to happily save these for you. Food service has many things in these buckets besides pickles, like mayo etc., and they throw them away.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

raymillsus

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
The Cabelas Brine mix in with the Peach, peacan, and Cherry wood made an amazing turkey. Problem with it is no one ate the ham or the other Deep fried turkey. Which meant there was no left overs for samiches.  :D That honey poultry Brine from Cabelas is actually really good. Just wanted to give an update I put it in the brine about 7pm on Tuesday night. Pulled it out of the brine at 9am on Thanksgiving. it was amazing.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
That honey poultry Brine from Cabelas is actually really good. Just wanted to give an update I put it in the brine about 7pm on Tuesday night. Pulled it out of the brine at 9am on Thanksgiving. it was amazing.

So about a day and a half in the brine? Seems like a long time.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide