Author Topic: Auber PID in my #3  (Read 26063 times)

johnnytex

Auber PID in my #3
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
Tony asked me to write a little report on using the Auber PID in my #3 so here goes.

I had a MES 30 for years and finally decided to get something bigger. Searched the web and decided on my #3. I have had it for about 3 months and must say that is the best, easiest and most well built smoker you could ever want. After breaking it in and using it a few times, I finally got a Maverick ET-732 thermometer. When I had the temp set to 225 deg, the temp inside the box went from 210 deg to 243 deg. That does average out to 225 deg but needed better control to do jerky and others. Went to the web and decided on the Auber WSD-1503CPH. This is the same unit that Smokin-It is selling.

Here is there web page include pictures and the manuals:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=203

It  was very easy to install and I did not want to modify the unit. You could just turn the temp knob up all the way and it works fine up to 250 deg.
I wanted to get temps higher the 250 deg so I bypassed the controller.
I took the back off and there are two spade lugs on the temp controller. I just wired them together and taped it up.

There are two probes, one is smoker temp and the other is meat temp. I just dropped the probes thru the hole in the top, clip the temp 01 probe to a rack or use a wood block with a hole in it. Stick the temp 02 probe in the meat. Plug the Auber in the wall . Plug the #3 into the Auber and that is it.  I talked to Steve and he said the box and insulation was good to 500 °. The Auber works up to 383 °F. Since the #3 has a1200-watt element, higher temps should not be a problem.

There is a picture with Auber under the smoker on my cart.  The included cables are 6 feet long so location is not a problem:

Then you program the unit:

From their manual:

The initial program setting for the controller is listed in
Table 1. This program will control the temperature of the cabinet at 225 °F for 2 hours.
Then, change the temperature to 225 °F. It will stay at 225 °F until internal temperature of
the meat reaches 195 °F. Then, the controller will drop the temperature to 130 °F for 30
hours, waiting for you to pick up the food. If you set C03=0 and t03=0, when meats’ internal
temperature reaches 195 °F, the controller will shut off the heater, flashing END on both
windows, and turn on the beeping alarm to notify you that cooking is finished.

Table 1. Initial program setting
Step #             Temp (F)        Step #        F or t     Step    # value
C01                 225                 E01                 t           t01       2.0
C02                 225                 E02                 F          F02     195
C03                 130                 E03                 t           t03       30.0
C04                 0                      E04                 t           t04       0.0
C05                 0                      E05                 t           t05      0.0
C06                 0                      E06                 t           t06       0.0

You can do up to six different steps. This setting is what I use on my briskets and it works great. After the meat hits 195, it turns the unit into a warming oven.
What the Auber does is turn the element on full up to the target temp then it turns the element on and off at very quick interval like one second on one second off.

There is a picture of a 11 pound brisket with the two probes inserted. One for the Maverick and one for the Auber.

I then put a blank rack above the meat and clip the two probes to it.

This 11 pound brisket took 12 hours to reach 195 deg. With the brisket inside, the unit run 225 deg plus or minus 2 deg.

Here’s some links to other setups:

Here’s link to a temp graph in a #3:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/97559/smokin-it-smoker/640#post_1074069

This is for a more permanent Smoking Tex but it and the #3 looks the same:

http://therockbottom.net/BBQ/SmokinTexMod/smokintexmod.html

The only con I have found so far is that since the element is not on full blast after reaching temps, I had to use smaller pieces of wood in the smoke box. Any pieces over 3 ounces did burn well.

What I usually do now is load the #3 up before I go to bed and let it run all night and I wake up to great Q.
It makes my  #3 a true plug in, set temp and then wake for the great results unit.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:37:40 PM by johnnytex »
Tex From Ennis, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auber PID in my #3
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »
Thanks for taking time to do this, Tex!  I now understand much more about the Auber than I did before.  The step for a "hold" temp is really cool - didn't know you could do that!  I use 140 to hold meat after it's done cooking quite a bit.  I've held pork butts and briskets like that for several hours, with no adverse effects on moisture. 

I'll definitely be considering this unit in the future!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rajones19

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »
I own (and love) the Smokin-It #2, and recently purchased the Auber WSD-1204. Basically the same PID as above, but less wattage, since my #2 has a much smaller element. It has been fantastic. I can set it to 225 degrees, and it stays within 2-3 degrees forever. Prior to purchasing the PID, I was fighting to get it above 180 or 190 degrees until the very end of the smoke most of the time - with occasional wild swings up to 250+.

I'm looking forward to doing some salmon one of these days, and really taking advantage of the programmable steps. The ribs, brisket and butts I've done so far really haven't required me to program the thing. It has been a great addition to an already great smoker.

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
so.... just plug the auber into the wall, and the #2 (in my case) into the auber? that is it ? I understand how the probes work, but as far as getting temps to maintain, that is it? no electrical engineering? LOL
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

johnnytex

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »
If you don't want to go over 250 deg.

YEP
Tex From Ennis, TX

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »
Johnny Tex,
Thanks for the write up.  Have you tried taking the smoker above 250 with the Auber?  I ask because I was thinking that you could potentially add a step to handle the issue people seem to have with chicken.  By adding an additional step you could take the smoker up to 350 to finish the chicken and crisp the skin.    I was thinking something like this.

Step #   Temp (F)   Step #   F or t   Step    # value
C01           225           E01           t              t01           2
C02           225           E02           F              F02           140
C03           350           E03           F           F03           160
C04           130           E04           t           t04           30
C05           0              E05           t           t05           0
C06           0              E06           t           t06           0

My #3 just got dropped up by Fedex ground about 5 minutes ago!  I am so excited!  I can not wait to get the rest of the shipment.

Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

johnnytex

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 12:50:21 PM »
CW

I checked with Steve and he said 350 should not me a problem.
I am going to smoke a Turkey on Gobble Day and was gonna try this.
I am planning a test run with some yard birds this weekend.
I'll post how that came out..
Tex From Ennis, TX

cwshiles

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
Good luck!  I am looking forward to hearing all about it.
Charlie from MD

cwshiles

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »
Johnnytex,
How did your testing go with the Auber?  Did you take the chamber up to 300+ degrees? 

How difficult is the Auber to use?  I understand the steps and what they do, but not how to actually do it.  How long does it take to change the internal temp of the meat or add additional step/action?
Charlie from MD

johnnytex

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
I got my #3 up to 350 for two hours to clean and test.

I find it very easy to use. You press the set button and the step # comes up on the left screen (CO1 or E01) and the value (225 or t or F) is set on the right screen with the + and - keys. Pres set again and it moves to the next value. I have found that a chart like yous helps.

I am doing a #15 bird on gobble day. Will post picts.
Tex From Ennis, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 07:51:59 PM »
It's like you broke the sound barrier, Johnny! May have to change your name to "ChuckTex!" lol.  Nice to see the concept actually works!  I'd love to see Steve design a model with the Auber incorporated in it from the factory, with a "OEM" housing and all! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cwshiles

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 04:43:37 PM »
Me too!  That would be great! 
Charlie from MD

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »
I am actually in the process of building a custom PID unit to control my #2. Once I am sure that everything is up an running correctly, I will be building a stainless control panel to mount on top of the unit. Basically replacing the factory control panel. My goal is for the panel to be very "factory" looking. I have access to tig welders and equipment to make it as nice as possible. I really think this is something that should be part of these smokers giving them a huge advantage over just the basic thermostat control.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

johnnytex

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 12:42:37 PM »
Well, I did my first turkey with  the Auber yesterday and here’ how it went.

Had a 15# bird, brined for 24 hrs. in 1 lb of salt, 1 lb of honey, ½ a bottle of crab and shrimp boil, gallon of water and ice.

Rinsed, patted dry and rubbed with oil and 7 spice run.

Cold bird in an cold #3 at 9:30 AM. Auber set to 225.

Took 15 min for smoker to reach temp.

At 2:00 PM, IT reached 140, so Auber changed temp to 350.

By 2:15 smoker temp was 315 and stay there for the rest of the hour.

At 3:00, IT was 160, so Auber set smoker temp to 130.

IT coasted to 174 over the next hour or so.

Bird was very juicy and had a very crisp skin.

Here are Before and After photos.

Enjoy.
Tex From Ennis, TX

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »
JohnnyTex:

Thank yo so much for this great review.  I haven't used my smoker for a couple of weeks, now that it is getting cold up here in Minnesota, but the Auber unit looks like it may really help me control my smoker temps.  I have had some great successes with my Maverick, but the temps vary a bit too much at times, and that has also caused my failures as well (see my brisket try :)).  I just ordered one for my Model #2 based on your review, and am planning on bypassing the controller as well by taping the two spade lugs together.  I just talked to Steve (what a great guy) and he stated that I should be fine on the Model #2 as well.  Heck, if I can get my smoker to 300-350 for some of my cooks, I will be elated.

Your turkey looked awesome.  I hope I can get one to turn out like that for Christmas with my new digital controller.  Again, great review and thanks for all of the information.   
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!