Author Topic: Wood chunks - with or without bark on them??? Pellets question, also.  (Read 10179 times)

S and M

Re: Wood chunks - with or without bark on them??? Pellets question, also.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
Being very new to this also, I appreciate all the info.  Just want to say something about Mainegrilling.  I ordered a sample box and they inadvertently sent me chips vs. chunks.  I contacted them and they immediately shipped a new box at no cost.  They have great customer service.  I can't imagine going anywhere else
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

LM600

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »
Sounds a bit of overkill but I pressure wash the wood to make sure there are no mould spores (or as little as I can get) or bugs etc in the bark. Then leave in the sun to dry out for a couple of hours.
Marcus from Milton Keynes, England.

Outside : Pro Q Excel 20. Brinkmann Grill. Various Cold Smoke Generators.
Indoors : Electric Lava Rock Grill.

kelvinator

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 12:26:00 AM »
Mold or moss on the bark? 

Guess I'm asking what I should be looking for.  Some of mine had green moss on the bark, but wood looked fine.

Picture? 

Thanks for heads up

Super late reply, haven't smoked in awhile for various reasons. It wasn't moss and was on the wood itself. It was definitely mold. I never demanded a refund or anything. Was just too lazy to deal with customer service to get a replacement for a few chunks of wood haha.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA
New to smoking but worked as a cook for 4 years

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 06:18:00 AM »
I got a bit annoyed when I opened the bag of black cherry I got from Maine Grilling Woods and noticed mold on the outside of several of the pieces.
That is unusual. MGW ships their wood between 5-10% moisture content specifically to avoid mold. Higher moisture content has to be special ordered and they consider it to be green. It comes with a warning regarding mold. I have ordered the sampler and specified Green....It came around 15% and contained no mold.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

slojoe

• Retired and lovin it
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »
the only wood I use in my #2 now is the Mojobricks, they work very well in the smoke box of the cooker, last 3-4 times as long as wood chunks and don't produce the large smoke burps, they have several types and IMO well worth the price, no worry about mold, bark etc., try it, you might like em'
Joe, Smokin on #2, Navy Vet., Life NRA

Bebe

Pete
Brooklyn, NY

Rich B

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »
If you call Maine Grilling Wood and tell them you have an electric smoker they will split the wood chunks for you!  No additional charge......
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
Good to know, Rich.  Thanks.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

H3

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
I used to use MGW, but I have found that www.smokinlicious.com has much higher quality wood with no bark for a great price. They even send a card that tells you the moisture content of the wood in your order. I got the 1 cubic foot box double filet with Cherry Maple and Oak. I still have to split some of the chunks, but I use a small hatchet and its not a problem. I smoke all the time and have barely used a quarter of the box in 3 months.
Howard from Panama City Beach

kelvinator

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »
I got a bit annoyed when I opened the bag of black cherry I got from Maine Grilling Woods and noticed mold on the outside of several of the pieces.
That is unusual. MGW ships their wood between 5-10% moisture content specifically to avoid mold. Higher moisture content has to be special ordered and they consider it to be green. It comes with a warning regarding mold. I have ordered the sampler and specified Green....It came around 15% and contained no mold.

Yeah it was weird. It was only a couple pieces though so I just tossed them out. None of the other wood in the sampler box I got seems to have any on it. Still not sure what I am going to do with the white cedar they put in haha.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA
New to smoking but worked as a cook for 4 years