Author Topic: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass  (Read 97517 times)

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »
Yes. Walt go to any local hardware store... Talk to anyone in the store they will know what you need.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

beckhamk

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
I just wanted to pass this along to anyone looking for the rocket covers:

Here is the full DPST switch:
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Toggle-Switch-DPST-Amp/dp/B006IC0194/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1420904983&sr=1-2&keywords=Safety+Toggle+Switch+DPST

Here is the rocket cover itself which you can place over any of the DPST/DPDT switches:
http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Switch-Cover-Red/dp/B001TJAWDG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XC1JYGDDEV75H7KXYEA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »
Nice links for the switches!  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

beckhamk

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
Previously i provided links for the rocket cover and a DPST switch - on/off.   I wanted to add a note for others out there to help prevent you from running into what i did.   ;D

I did the bypass that CUTiger80  posted and i used a DPDT switch on / off / on.  I wanted to call out make sure you do not purchase a switch that say momentary on like this: DPDT Center Off Momentary On One Side.  The momentary means one of the on sides doesnt say in place it will fall back to off. Basically you would need to hold it in place yourself to keep the unit on.  I didnt realize that when i purchased it.  Just make sure you get a DPDT Center Off  and that it doesnt say anything about momentary. 

Also note that the rocket switch doesnt play well with the DPDT switches. It will fit over the switch, but when you close cover will move the toggle from an off position to off i believe. If you leave the cover up the switch will work fine. You might be able to dremmel out the inside of the switch to make it not do this though.  Just wanted to call it out to anyone wanting the on - off - on which give you the ability to use the build int controller vs auber.

Walt

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
I used a DPDT on / on & the rocket launcher works fine. No need for the off position.  Either the pid is on or the analog controller is on.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:33:30 AM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2015, 08:16:43 PM »
Exactly!

It's one of life's simpler pleasures.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

ChuckV309

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2015, 12:41:29 AM »
This is a question to those that have done the switched bypass.  Does anyone remember for sure what size the wire is for the job?  I am assuming it is 12 like the power cord, but just want to make sure before I get the supplies.

Chuck
Wishin I was Fishin!
Smokin-it #3 w/ auber and internal temp.
Webber Genesis
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
VP215 Chamber Vac

Chuck.  Central Illinois.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2015, 01:02:50 AM »
I'm doing a bypass soon as well. I would like to know the gauge and if everyone is using temperature insulated wiring or regular stuff since the smoker isn't really going beyond 250 much?
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
The controller wires are closer to 16 than 12. So, 14 would be more than sufficient. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

ChuckV309

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »
Thanks Dave.  I was planning on using 14, just wanted to be sure.  Going back and looking, I seen it was 14 and not 12 for the power cable coming in.  Thanks again for the reply.

Chuck
Wishin I was Fishin!
Smokin-it #3 w/ auber and internal temp.
Webber Genesis
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
VP215 Chamber Vac

Chuck.  Central Illinois.

Walt

« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:38 PM »
If I recall, the line from the power light must be cut and an extension must be spliced in.  That was a 16 AWG wire.  Everything else was 14.
Look on page 3 of "How to bypass an analog controller".  I generated a parts list needed ensuring only one trip to the hardware store. Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:00:56 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

paidin

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2015, 06:25:49 PM »
Jeff - This is my high end wiring diagram for the toggle switch.  Call me if it doesn't make sense.

Hi Rickne,
Your diagram is for a DTDP switch.  I am no electonic expert so I need help figuring out how to wire this for a DTSP switch like some others are talking about.  Would you have time to help explain how to wire it for a DTSP switch?  I think those only have 4 prongs on the back instead of 6 prongs like in your diagram, right?

thanks,
paidin
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

paidin

the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

paidin

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »
another question for you guys.  I noticed that the DPDT or the DPST toggle switch is to change it from the stock layout where the thermometer is used or a shorted situation where the two white leads are connected directly to each other.  Can't the same thing be achieved by tapping into both leads and connecting a simple on/off switch that can short the two white leads when the switch is on and return it back to normal when the switch is turned off?  This will allow us to use any old weatherproof switch including this neat switch here: http://www.amazon.com/Illuminated-Automotive-Toggle-Switch-Button/dp/B0060U92FS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=07QDRX8CSFA2EHZN8Q7K

Well, that switch is not weatherproof but it has a neat led built in. 

So I figure that if you short the two white wires while they are still attached to the temperature dial, it should still work fine and still allow the machine to revert back to factory settings when the switch is turned off.

what do you guys think?
paidin

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2015, 01:25:40 AM »
I ordered the following switch (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIDYQMO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It took a while (shipped from hong kong) but it was cheap, waterproof, and AC rated. I don't think you want to use the DC rated switches you were linking to. I haven't installed my setup yet so I can't comment on how well I like this switch. But I have received it (took about 3-4 weeks shipping).
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA