Author Topic: Can I use a pan for this?  (Read 2608 times)

Greenenvey

Can I use a pan for this?
« on: June 16, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
 going to try to smoke a blade roast that has been in my freezer,ive read to take it to 140 IT. The. Put it in a pan with liquid and take it to 200. I want to pull it .can I use a pan in this smoker? I thought I read it misses up the temps in the box?
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Durangosmoker

Re: Can I use a pan for this?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:03:06 PM »
I've never used a pan in my #2, except for smoked shrimp (which are amazing), but I would think in a #3, as long as your pan had LOTS of room on all sides you would be ok.  Any reason you couldn't brine it, then smoke it on a rack with a water pan next to the smoke box? if you are worried about it getting dried out, you could always wrap it in foil after it reaches an IT of 140, and finish it that way. What temp were you thinking of using?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Greenenvey

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:15:14 PM »
I've never used a pan in my #2, except for smoked shrimp (which are amazing), but I would think in a #3, as long as your pan had LOTS of room on all sides you would be ok.  Any reason you couldn't brine it, then smoke it on a rack with a water pan next to the smoke box? if you are worried about it getting dried out, you could always wrap it in foil after it reaches an IT of 140, and finish it that way. What temp were you thinking of using?
I'd like to not use a pan, but everything I've read seems to say it will dry out too much without the liquid? I'm going to brine it. Here is a pic of it
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

drains

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:56:28 PM »
I think it would be OK to cook in a pan just not to put a pan between something your cooking and the heating element, like on the rack below a brisket or pork butt. It plays havoc with temperature control. I have smoked a few of those blade roasts and I took them out at 140 then either finished them in the oven or a pressure cooker. They turned out really good. If I recall correctly that cut of meat is somewhat tough so low and slow is in order. I used a couple of ounces of hickory and it seems like it was only in the smoker a couple of hours @ 235 before I pulled it out and finished as I stated above. If you don't have an electric pressure cooker finishing in a crock pot with some aujus would work. You'll need a good instant read thermometer. Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:01:04 PM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »
Laura, if you brine it, it shouldn't dry out.  Smoke it to 140, then wrap in foil until 195 (no need for 200).  If you don't foil, it should be fine, too.  I've taken chuck roasts that high, with no problems.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Greenenvey

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:40:54 AM »
Ok thanks for  the advice it's in the smoker now.ill wrap it at 140
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »
How did your roast turn out Laura?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 10:02:56 PM »
If you take it to 140, it has taken on all the smoke that it will at that point. You could pan it with some additional cooking liquid cover that with foil and braise it until it begins to break down.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud