Author Topic: Leggs Blend #133 Peppered Jerky Seasoning  (Read 2306 times)

Jeffinn

Leggs Blend #133 Peppered Jerky Seasoning
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
Hi all!
 I bought a bag of this awhile ago and am trying to determine if I can use it as a dry rub. The label directions call for adding water and using it as a "brine". It looks like a few folks online have used it as a dry rub after adding the appropriate amount of pink salt.
Has anyone here used this particular spice blend as a dry rub?
Thanks.
Jeff
Jeff

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Leggs Blend #133 Peppered Jerky Seasoning
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:49:30 PM »
Jeff, are you sure it doesn't have any curing salt in it already?  Many dry jerky seasonings have #2 Prague powder in them, for use as a rubbed cure (where you don't mix it with water).  This one seems to maybe actually be a brine, since it says to add water?  Curious...going to have to investigate!

I just looked it up, and see that it is, indeed, just a seasoning mix!  States "does not include the sodium nitrite cure."  If you put it in a liquid brine, you should add #1 Instacure (Prague powder, 6.25% nitrite).  If you intend to rub on the meat, place in a plastic bag, use #2 Instacure (nitrite and nitrate).  The idea of using #2 for a rub is that the nitrates convert to nitrites, over the length of the cure.  Brines need pure nitrites. 

Bet it's a tasty blend!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:55:09 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!