Author Topic: Cutting the Lid  (Read 16582 times)

johnnytex

Cutting the Lid
« on: February 14, 2016, 12:15:04 PM »
Doing my first 4 hr chuck today.
Got the Rubbermaid Commercial 12-quart container with lid.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R8JOUC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01
I was going to cut the lid so the Anova fit but, wasn't sure the best place to put it.
Is it better on the back side or in the back corner?
Thanks for any advice.
Tex From Ennis, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Cutting the Lid
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 12:57:16 PM »
No critical.  I usually put mine more toward the corner, just to maximize space, but I don't think it matters, as far as performance.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »
I don't think it matters either. Toward a corner to maximize space seems like a good idea to me too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:16:15 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 02:12:47 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R8JOUC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01
I was going to cut the lid so the Anova fit but, wasn't sure the best place to put it.
Thanks for any advice.

Hope you meant 4 days :) as far as placement, don't really matter, just clip the bag to the side so it don't move and block the pump holes at the bottom...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
Thanks for any advice.

Hope you meant 4 days :) as far as placement, don't really matter, just clip the bag to the side so it don't move and block the pump holes at the bottom...

Tex: yes, 4 days for chuck steak, not 4 hours.
Bob: Tex was referring to where to cut the hole in the lid, rather than where to hang the bag of meat. Quite a clever idea to prevent moisture loss for a long sous vide!  :)
Tex: Please post a picture of your sous vide setup once you've got the hole in the lid.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:23:22 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

johnnytex

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
Tex: yes, 4 days for chuck steak, not 4 hours.
Bob: Tex was referring to where to cut the hole in the lid, rather than where to hang the bag of meat. Quite a clever idea to prevent moisture loss for a long sous vide!  :)
Tex: Please post a picture of your sous vide setup once you've got the hole in the lid.
[/quote]

Yes guys. I got it 4 days. It just seems so weird.
Get back to ya on Thursday!
Tex From Ennis, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 04:23:07 PM »
I have a lid for mine too, Tex, but haven't cut a hole yet.  My concern is that you have to remove the Anova to get the lid off, unless you cut a gap in the back.  That's probably what I'll do, and then just cover the gap with a little plastic wrap.  Still better than covering the whole container!

Edit:  I just went and did it!  If you cut the shape of the bracket, there are no gaps, and you can give it a little twist to get it on/off over the unit!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:47:48 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 04:32:09 PM »
I have a lid for mine too, Tex, but haven't cut a hole yet.  My concern is that you have to remove the Anova to get the lid off, unless you cut a gap in the back.  That's probably what I'll do, and then just cover the gap with a little plastic wrap.  Still better than covering the whole container!

I had assumed there would be a gap in the back, and kind of a semi-circle cut. You might not need to cover the gap with plastic wrap, even for a 4-day sous vide. It probably wouldn't lose much moisture through the gap, since sous vide temperatures aren't high enough to produce much steam (if any), so it's mostly from accelerated evaporation.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:43:47 AM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

johnnytex

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »

Edit:  I just went and did it!  If you cut the shape of the bracket, there are no gaps, and you can give it a little twist to get it on/off over the unit!

Looks great!
What tool did you use to cut it?
Tex From Ennis, TX

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 06:39:43 PM »
Looks nice!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 07:33:16 PM »
Looks great!
What tool did you use to cut it?

I just used a pair of tin snips, and cleaned it up with a sanding drum in the Dremel tool.  If I had been thinking, I probably would have used the scroll saw...cutting through that double-lip was tough!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »
Divot, what do you think about using an exacto knife?  Or maybe even a Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the hole?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 12:16:17 AM »
Divot, what do you think about using an exacto knife?  Or maybe even a Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the hole?

I used tin snips, but I have quite a bit of experience with them.  An Exacto knife would work, but I'd shy away from the Dremel tool.  It's pretty heavy plastic, and the tin snips worked well.
Tony from NW Arkansas