Author Topic: "Smokinlicious.com" wood  (Read 70623 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: "Smokinlicious.com" wood
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2016, 11:23:13 AM »
Scott, when you line the floor of the smoker with foil (not the wood box, but the actual floor of the smoker), are you remembering to take a pencil or something and poke the drain hole in the foil? It is actually easy to forget to do that, and it would restrict air flow causing your wood not to burn, which is what you experienced with your tri-tip, and your 4.4 ounce hickory test if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:57:27 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2016, 09:08:11 PM »
Great point, Kari!!  Sometimes, the simplest solution is the best.  Never even thought to ask this question! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2016, 05:55:32 PM »
Scott, when you line the floor of the smoker with foil (not the wood box, but the actual floor of the smoker), are you remembering to take a pencil or something and poke the drain hole in the foil? It is actually easy to forget to do that, and it would restrict air flow causing your wood not to burn, which is what you experienced with your tri-tip, and your 4.4 ounce hickory test if I remember correctly.
Every time!! ;)  I'm about to put 4 pork butts in, thinking I've figured out where to put the chunks.  Here's hoping for no fires. ;)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
Cut into 2 ounce chunks are still pretty good sized chunks. If you have any that are 2.0-2.5, I wouldn't cut them. But some many are close to four ounces per chunk, so I use my hatchet and a hammer to split them.

You'll find what works for you.
I just did that very thing for 4 butts going in soon.  Took a chunk of hickory and cut it in half and paired it with a piece of wild cherry. ;)

SconnieQ

« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2016, 07:08:06 PM »
Just leave that door closed, no matter WHAT the smoke looks like...  ;)
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »
I am..........even though the smoke coming out it pretty thick right now. ;)

SconnieQ

« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2016, 10:42:27 PM »

Sounds good. Better than unburned wood like the last time. It should taper off gradually. It usually comes out thick and billowy in the beginning as the smoker comes up to temp and the element is solid on.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:48:48 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2016, 01:10:20 AM »

Sounds good. Better than unburned wood like the last time. It should taper off gradually. It usually comes out thick and billowy in the beginning as the smoker comes up to temp and the element is solid on.
I believe you're right. ;) I think the smoke is done and now it looks like steam. Will know in the morning.

Want to know the most awesome thing? I got all four butts on one shelf!!  And there is space between all of them.  :)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2016, 11:30:03 PM »
How did your butts turn out?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2016, 06:37:45 PM »
How did your butts turn out?
The customer was well pleased, thanks for asking.  One of the chunks caught fire and turned completely to ash, the other completely blackened and crumbled.

SconnieQ

« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
The customer was well pleased, thanks for asking.  One of the chunks caught fire and turned completely to ash, the other completely blackened and crumbled.

That actually sounds perfect. I usually end up with some of both in each cook, and I consider that a success. All ash should taste just fine, and it is not unexpected on a long cook like butts or brisket. It doesn't necessarily mean that there was "combustion" on such a long cook. Black charcoal looking chunks is a nice slow burn. Unburned chunks are okay if you have other chunks that burned, and the food tasted good. So I think you found a great place to start adjusting for your own tastes. If you think it needs more smoke, add more wood. Sounds like you've got the wood chunk placement figured out.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:35:45 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2016, 08:28:07 PM »
I usually have a piece or too that turns to ash on a long smoke and I see no problem with it.

Your customer's comments/feedback is all that matters.

You can still tweak your wood placement a bit, but it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »
I usually have a piece or too that turns to ash on a long smoke and I see no problem with it.

Your customer's comments/feedback is all that matters.

You can still tweak your wood placement a bit, but it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it.

+1! 8) Results are what matters!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2016, 08:58:29 PM »
Thanks guys and gal.  :)

es1025

« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2016, 10:33:30 AM »
I am thinking about ordering some wood from smokinlicious, what type do you recommend? I still have some hickory from maine grilling woods. Also, what size box do you recommend? 2/3 cubic foot or 1 cubic foot? I usually smoking pork and poultry.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?