Author Topic: Pulled Chicken for BBQ  (Read 5930 times)

DougB

Pulled Chicken for BBQ
« on: February 23, 2014, 10:18:01 AM »
This is my first post, so newbie alert.  Got my Model #1 for Christmas and have used it twice so far.  I've smoked a Turkey and a Boston Butt, which both turned out great thanks to the advice I picked up here in the forums  :).

For my next smoke, I want to do some chicken to pull for BBQ sandwiches.  I need to cook enough to make 30 - 40 sandwiches.  I'm thinking I can only get 2 whole chickens (5 lbs each) in the Model #1, so I'm leaning toward doing bone-in thighs on the racks.  I'm guessing I can get 12 thighs per rack and use all 3 racks.  Does this sound about right?  I plan to brine for 2-3 hours, use cherry wood and cook at 230 degrees until internal temp is 170.  Any other suggestions or recommendations (brine/no brine, wood, smoke time, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Pulled Chicken for BBQ
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:29:47 AM »
Sounds about right on the amount per rack, Doug.  As to your questions - definitely brine, cherry's great with poultry, and your plan is sound.  Good luck!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »
Sounds like a great plan. Thighs are my favorite part of a chicken. 

Looking forward to seeing your results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
I have used thighs several times for pulled chicken, and your plan is right on the money.  Brining is very important and a couple of hours should do fine.   I leave the skin on the thighs but try to get the rub down under the skin.   Cherry wood is the way to go.   Usually the thighs hit 170IT at around 3.5 to 4 hours (I usually set the temp to 225F).

Good luck!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DougB

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Just curious, how many whole chickens is reasonable for the Model #1?  I'm thinking I can squeeze 2 in, but was worried about the meat touching the sides of the smoker.

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »
Doug,

I can only reasonably fit one 5 lb bird in my #1, sitting flat on its back.  I think it would be possible to get 2 in there standing on end (beer can chicken style), but I haven't tried.  The real limiter is height. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
Split your chickens...you should be able to get 3 reasonably sized chickens (6 halves) in there on 3 racks.
Splitting will also reduce the cooking time considerably.
You could also spatchcock them if they're not too big.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
Ah!  Great idea, Martin!  I didn't consider splitting them.  I like to fill my whole chickens with mirepoix, but splitting them would definitely work.  By the way...making jerky today with an equilibrium brine.  Thanks for the help - full post coming soon!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 03:40:54 PM »
Tony, when making your post please explain "equilibrium brine".
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »
Tony, when making your post please explain "equilibrium brine".

Oh, I will Walt!  I've been learning a great deal about brining lately, with Martin's help!  He's kind of a legend over on another forum, and has been a great help to me.  There's definitely more to brining than meets the eye.  I'll go into detail about the difference in brines, and post the results.  Very cool stuff!  Getting it together soon! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Lucasiowa76

• Adam Lucas
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 10:45:01 AM »
Im wanting to smoke two 5 lbs chickens today and am curious about splitting them.  You mentioned it cuts down on cooking time, about how long should I smoke and at what temp?  Thanks!
Adam Lucas
Newbie Smoker
Iowa

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 10:27:10 PM »
Im wanting to smoke two 5 lbs chickens today and am curious about splitting them.  You mentioned it cuts down on cooking time, about how long should I smoke and at what temp?  Thanks!

I just did two 5 pound chickens on my #1, both whole (breast side up), side-by-side on the middle rack. It was pretty tight, but there was just barely enough space for air circulation and smoke. They turned out great. Time will vary, but you should set your smoker to 250, and smoke until the breast temperature reaches 160 (or 170 in the thigh). No water pan needed for poultry. Mine usually take approx 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Remove, tent with foil for 20-30 minutes. You can also spatchcock them, by removing the back bone, then crack the breast bone and push them flat. You could then put one on the top rack, and one on the middle rack, bone side down. You might want to rotate the racks after 1.5 hours, since the bottom one will probably cook a little faster than the top one in this configuration. You should also brine your chickens. This makes a huge difference with the moistness and flavor of poultry. There are several brine recipes for chicken and poultry on the forum. If you don't have time to brine, then just go for it, seasoning inside and out. And don't expect crispy skin. It's all about the meat. If you have a dog, they will love the skin.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:28:59 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide