Author Topic: External charcoal smoke generator  (Read 3772 times)

smokinpete

External charcoal smoke generator
« on: November 19, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
Hi all,

New guy here.  Been using various charcoal, wood-chunk and electric smokers for a while now. I currently have a Dyna-Glo upright offset, and a modified Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker. I can churn out a massive amount of meat for parties with this combo.

Recently, my MES bit the dust in a freak overnight rain storm (separate issue-- need to build a hut for it).  Lately, I've come to rely heavily on my MES external firebox mod.  It's basically a cold-smoker setup, similar to the "mailbox mod", but I use it for hot smokes: Char-griller portable charcoal grill connected to the MES chip loader port via long 4" dryer duct, which gives great flavor without the temp swings and headaches of a side-firebox smoker. I can usually get 6-8 hrs of smoke from a single load of wood chunks and briquettes using the minion method (basket from charcoalbasket.com), and usually let it finish with just the heat from the MES. Still basically "set it and forget it". I've compared results with the Amazen pellet maze vs the charcoal, and I definitely prefer the latter.

So far, poking through the forum, I haven't read of anyone modding a Smokin-It smoker in this way. It'd require drilling a 3" hole in the side towards the bottom (with optional plug), and possibly adding a new adjustable vent to the top for air flow.

Sounds like blaspheme to rough up a nice unit like this, but I'm attracted to the easy(er) cleanup of this stainless unit vs the MES. What are your thoughts? Anyone done something like this?

Thanks!
-Pete

smokinpete

Re: External charcoal smoke generator
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »
Here's a link to my current (albeit no longer working) MES setup:

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
Better smoke with it stock for a  while to see if you think any mods are necessary.  I use an A-Maz-N smoke generator for my cold smoking but everything else is stock smoker. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 06:24:34 PM »
 I've never seen a reason or need to go through the process of modifying my smoker. It works fine as is. I may at some time in the future get an accessory from A-Maze-N for low temp/cold smoking.  But cutting large hole in the smoker?  I don't ever see that happening. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »
I can't imagine cutting into my SI as I can come up with no scenario in which it would be an improvement and many where it would be a detriment.  Even if it 'dies' the rheostat and element are both readily available so that it can be quickly and cheaply resurrected.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

smokinpete

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback! Right now, I'm going back & forth between one of these and an Assassin GF charcoal smoker.