Author Topic: Greetings from Virginia  (Read 2771 times)

SmilingMEL

Greetings from Virginia
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
Hey, folks,

My name is Mike, and I'm a fairly new owner of a model 1 and new to smokers in general, having only used smoking boxes and tubes in gas grills--and a smoking gun for cocktails and soups and such.

I ordered my model 1 on Black Friday. Once it arrived, I assembled and seasoned it that night, and had a boston butt brining the next day. My first go was in a light snow under partial cover. Used 3 ounces of cherry and 2 of hickory. Took a little over 12 hours to get 5.5 pounds to 190, which seemed slightly on the long side. Of course, conditions weren't exactly ideal. When pulled, the meat had a pleasant smoked flavor. Seemed a little dry, though. I only brined it over night, and I'm thinking I should extend that for my next try at pulled pork.

Looking forward to seeing what folks are doing here and learning as I go along. I think next up will be a whole chicken.

While I don't have any smoking experience, I've been sous viding all sorts of proteins and vegetables for the past several years. Will have to spend some time in that part of the forum, too.

Mike from Fairfax, VA
SI Model 1 and Weber Genesis II
Anova Sous Vide Cooker

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Greetings from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 10:25:17 PM »
Mike, welcome to the forum, and looking forward to your sous vide posts! A 5.5 butt at 12 hours does not seem long to me. Small butts can easily take 3+ hours per pound. Think of it this way, collagen takes a certain amount of time to turn to gelatin, no matter what the size. This happens during the stall. So if you are going strictly on an "hours per pound" basis, you have to factor a minimum amount of time in. A 5 pound butt could possibly take almost the same amount of time as a 10 pound butt to go though it's chemical reaction and tenderization (the stall), and get to 195 internal temperature.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »
Welcome Mike from SE Arizona. Enjoy the adventure.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »
Welcome aboard Mike. You have a couple of other SI smokers in the Virginia/DC/Maryland area. Happy smoking and Happy Holidays!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Mike.   You have found the right place for smok'in meat!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

TX Gent

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »
Howdy Mike!

Great first start and choice. Some do and some don't ....wrap that is.

There are many factors which contribute to your plating results and it all begins with the quality of meat.

All the best on your continuing smokes and do keep posting and contributing as you journey toward the best smoke ... ever.

John n'Texas
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
Welcome to the family, Mike! 

I personally never wrap anything...  I open the door twice:  once to put stuff in and once to take stuff out.  I do regularly brine, but sometimes that only for a few hours and I'm not sure I've ever brined more than 12 hours.  I do tend to do butts in pairs since that how I buy them.

Butts are fatty enough that it's probably not strictly required, but I always put a water pan right next to the smoke box when doing briskets and butts.  I can't come up with any harm in having a moisture source during these long smokes.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SmilingMEL

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll do my best to share when things go well and not just pop in to ask questions, though I'm sure I'll read far more than I post. That's just my nature. Again, appreciate having this forum as a resource and the people who make it worthwhile.
Mike from Fairfax, VA
SI Model 1 and Weber Genesis II
Anova Sous Vide Cooker

Roostershooter

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
welcome and enjoy your new smoker.  Great bunch here with loads of experience!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
Welcome Mike,
Glad to have you on board. Your first smoke looks excellent.
Happy Holidays.
Best Greg
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:41:00 PM by gregbooras »

TexasSMK

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 05:24:29 PM »
Welcome Mike--this is a great place to learn--question are always answered.  Great choice for a first smoke.  I brine, make sure the fat cap is on top, and use a water pan for my butts!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »
Hey Mike, I too am in Va. Lovettsville. Hope you are enjoying the smoker.
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

MacDarnell

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 02:38:33 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Durangosmoker

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 01:01:37 PM »
Welcome from the Hudson Valley.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.