Author Topic: Smoker Comparison Chart  (Read 35395 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoker Comparison Chart
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »
John - The 3/3D is a very heavy unit.  Shipping is the actual cost with no mark-up. Like others have mentioned on other postings, it only hurts once. The 3D will give a more stable temperature throughout the cook whereas the analog will fluctuate through the on/off cycles as explained in the FAQ section. Some folks favor the digital PID (D models) while others are very content with the non-D models and the fluctuations don't bother them at all. I guess it is a matter of preference and/or budget. The trend is toward digital. I am seasoning mine right now.  Dave
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:03:29 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 06:57:47 PM »
I'd like to see that excel chart, but can't open it.
Thanks for the response. I've been researching these smokers and I have some questions.
How many full briskets will fit in the 3d model, ribs? It appears that the ribs and briskets don't need to be cut. Will the 3d model Temps be more aaccurate than the #3? I live in Tacoma and do a fair amount of grilling and smoking in the winter, and though it doesn't get too cold here, there are times when temperature will affect the cook.
Is there anyway to get the shipping lower? I'm sure that si can't control the pricing for shipping but getting it a little bit lower would be nice.
We're having a northwest food show at the middle of March in Seattle, any chance that smokin it will be there? The show is March 20th and 21st, Sunday, Monday. I will be there.
Thanks again for letting me know and letting me ramble on.
John Louderback
bdlouderback@yahoo.com

John, shipping is what it is...big box, no markup (based solely on weight & dimensions).  Only way to get it lower is to go pick it up yourself.  Not sure how many briskets, since I only do 1 at a time, but I would think 2 or 3 full packers wouldn't be a problem.  Ribs??  10 full racks, using 5 shelves.  Weather??  lol.  Spend a little time here, and you'll see how many folks we have in the northern-tier states.  Trust me, you'll have no problems in Washington!  I've smoked at 9°, with no problem, but some of these guys get crazy in the negative temps!  Well-insulated, and the cold is not a problem.

Steve is doing a trade show in Lansing, MI, this weekend, and has a few more throughout Ohio & Kentucky.  He won't be in Seattle.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 09:43:09 PM »
I am one of those crazy northerners that smoke in cold weather. :)

I have smoked in -20F with zero issues.

BTW, welcome from ND John!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 12:00:11 PM »
I'd like to see that excel chart, but can't open it.
John I just sent you an e-mail with the chart. I hope you'll be able to open it.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Nimrod

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »
Nice job on the spreadsheet Andy.
Ive learned more about these smokers 'after' I purchased my #2 than before but still very satisfied with it for the smoking Im doing.  I was planning to just get the little guy but chose the #2 (primarily) because the element size doubles.  Interesting to compare the elements on these other brands.  Whenever I get ready to expand my smoker family, this info will be very useful :)
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 08:09:06 PM »
I ran a similar comparison when deciding to purchase my SI. It had the same results and I too shared the information several years back .... Nice work.

That first time I used it my 6 year old son had a seizure that exact same night. It was an awkward coincidence. Fortunately after many months in the hospital he was diagnosed with a mild form of epilepsy that he will likely outgrow by the time he is 12 or 13. He has had only two more occurrences in the following 3 years.

While there are worse things in life I wouldn't wish it on anyone... Especially having a seizure over finding a good purchase like an SI piece of equipment.... But hey whatever analogy works for you so be it.

Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

raymillsus

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 09:17:47 AM »
Great chart. Wish the prices were the same :D
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

Duder

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 12:03:41 PM »
Prices sure have gone up since this post was started. I paid $750 for the 2D last night, and it doesn't come with a cover like the spreadsheet says. Seems they have had to cut some costs.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 03:48:17 PM »
Everything changes with time.  But the chart is still useful in comparing specs and also points you in the direction of competitors for current pricing.  SI is still the best bang for the buck.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Margaretdivine

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2022, 02:42:03 AM »
If you are a beginner then I would recommend instead of getting too deep into the research try to get a basic smoker with minimum price. Smokebbq and Grills Guide is a good source to get basic knowledge.

What I have seen in the market that people start to research and they end up buying the wrong product based on their experience.

Emma Jake

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2022, 04:40:47 AM »
This kind of information is always helpful for the ones who love to grill and i'm one of them

Emma Jake

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2022, 03:06:54 PM »
This is the best comparison and i was looking just a clear comparison like this one

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »
So Emma, now that you have compared, which smoker are you thinking about getting?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Emma Jake

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2022, 11:27:48 PM »
Great comparison! I would like to read more on this

Emma Jake

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2022, 03:03:50 PM »
I want a smoker that is friendly for usage at apartment or balcony that will fit in my house