Author Topic: Participate!  (Read 44330 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Participate!
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:30:40 AM »
Hey, all of you who have registered on the forum, but haven't posted anything yet:  Go ahead and participate!  It's easier than you might think, and we enjoy the company!  You're obviously interested, or you wouldn't have taken the time to join.  So, what's stopping you??  What you will find here is a whole bunch of folks of "like mind" who enjoy sharing ideas about great smokes!  We're a friendly bunch, and it's family safe!

So, if you take the time to join our group, take the time to post something about yourself in the "Introductions" section!  We want to meet new folks who love BBQ!

Tony
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Participate!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
I agree with Tony.  This is THE site for the Smokin-it smoker.  While there are many sites out there (and I am active in many of them), this is the one site site solely dedicated to Smokin-it owners and their adventures. Other smoker specific sites are not very active, just once in a while posters.   And the the one size fits all sites, which are very active and popular are  great for a variety of reasons, but they can never be called "home".  They are however a great place to visit, to recruit, to speak loudly about the benefits of Smokin-it (some of you know what I am talking about), but they are not home.

So PM those who sparked your interest, either here or on another site, and invite them to get involved, or more involved.

Here's wishing all a very happy and prosperous new year.

Dave

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
Well-said, Dave! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
This is our forum, regardless of the size of your smoker or if you are looking for some intel, participate.

As a Yankee who loves BBQ, I have learned some much from my friends on this forum.

I actually enjoy reading your posts and implementing a lot of your techniques.

When I first signed up, Tony (Divot), Joe (UWFSAE), and Dave (Old Sarge) were the most active posters, they provided me with some awesome advice on buying my smoker.  Go big or go home right Dave...

BTW, it still bothers me that 2-2-1 for baby backs is not the way to go!, its 5 and half hours no peeky........

Ed
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
Ed,

Might also add 'go smart'.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
 ;D   Good point, Dave! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

bluecatpride

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »
Need some advice.  I always have to click on an item at least four times to open things in this forum.  Seems to be the only forum I have trouble with.  I have changed the setting on the browser to allow this as a highly trusted site but am still having problems.  Any suggestions.  I use this site a whole lot but sometimes it is frustrating. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 04:39:55 PM »
I'm sorry you're having problems, Bluecat!  I'm on this forum a lot, and have never had problems opening anything.  What browser are you using?  Provide us some details about your operating system and browser, and we'll try to help you figure it out!
Tony from NW Arkansas

bluecatpride

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »
I am using internet explorer 8.  My OS is Windows XP.  I have tried to use both Google and Google Chrome.  With Google  it might open the first time but only once.  With chrome it always takes the fourth time.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
Are you running Service Pack 3 for XP?  If not, I would suggest going to Windows update and downloading it.  XP is getting a little long in the tooth, and support is about to end (if it hasn't already).  So, get service pack 3 from Windows update, and then download Firefox (www.firefox.com) for your browser.  I find it much more reliable than Internet Explorer.  Also, your IE version is way out of date.  Do some updates, and see how it works.  This is not so much a "settings" issue as it is an "out of date" issue, I believe.
Tony from NW Arkansas

bluecatpride

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 04:57:26 PM »
Will do these things and let you know how it works.  Thanks a lot

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 04:59:07 PM »
One other thing, Cat... I would highly encourage an upgrade to Windows 7.  Stay away from 8 - still lots of issues.  There are some good deals out there on 7 (OEM version discs from places like newegg.com).  Definitely worth the money!  You'll see a vast improvement over Windows XP.  Very stable platform, and I rarely have any kind of hardware/software conflicts like you're describing.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
Bluecat you might try Firefox, granted I am on an Apple but I'm not having any issues, hope it works out...
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 09:34:13 AM »
So far I love this forum, I've read a lot on the other sites, but this one is geared exactly our smokers.

Most of the other forums are geared towards moding their existing smokers to get them to work.

These smokers just work, right out of the box.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 10:47:25 AM »
One other thing, Cat... I would highly encourage an upgrade to Windows 7.  Stay away from 8 - still lots of issues.  There are some good deals out there on 7 (OEM version discs from places like newegg.com).  Definitely worth the money!  You'll see a vast improvement over Windows XP.  Very stable platform, and I rarely have any kind of hardware/software conflicts like you're describing.

To preface let me say that I am a Microsoft employee and may be a bit biased.

With the release of Windows 8.1, the issues that most had with the original release have been resolved. I do not see any reason to install an older Win7 operating system. Other than having to get used to the new Start screen, I am not sure what problems people would be complaining about. Other than the start screen and some of the configuration options, you will not see a ton of changes that are visible. For example, your Windows Desktop where you spend most of your time works just as it always has. With the release of 8.1, you can even have your computer boot directly to your desktop instead of the Start menu.

If the new Start menu is a deal breaker for you (I would first encourage you to try it for awhile), there are several free products out there that can simulate the old Start menu.

I have been using Win8 since the Consumer Preview days and would not want to go back to Windows 7 again. I still have a Win7 computer that I occasionally use for testing customer issues, but I much prefer Windows 8.

Using Windows 8.1 will ensure that you have the latest Internet Explorer builds and should resolve your forum access issues.

That being said, I would not load Win7 or Win8 on an XP computer unless it is a computer that was purchased just prior to the end of XP being loaded on new computers. Computers have advanced so far since the XP days that trying to load a newer OS on an old piece of hardware will not yield very good results.

Desktop prices have come down so far, that you can get a pretty nice CPU unit (assuming your monitor is still good) for around $300. With a new OS cost of around $100-$150, why not get new hardware for just a little more?

Also, since Windows XP is no longer supported or being updated, it is vulnerable to attacks. So, accessing the Internet on an XP machine is at your own risk.

If for whatever reason you cannot get a new computer, I would make sure that you have applied all of your "Microsoft Updates" (note I did not say "Windows Updates"). If you go to update your computer and it says "Windows Update", look for an option on the screen that talks about installing "Microsoft Update". The difference between the two is that Windows Update only updates Windows, while Microsoft Update updates any/all Microsoft applications on your computer.

If you do not see an option for Windows Update, try using the following link:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.