Author Topic: Suggestions for Maverick Replacement Upgrade?  (Read 6490 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Suggestions for Maverick Replacement Upgrade?
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:41:27 PM »
Gents, I was about to replace one of my Maverick 733's... at roughly $70.  I like the range that it has and they've always been "good enough".  However, they aren't super accurate and the probes are kind of finicky and easy to make non-working.

So, before I shell out another $70, I'm curious what is better out there?  I don't mind paying 2 or 3 times the cost for something that is more accurate/dependable with probes that aren't so finicky.  I would like good range for the remote.  I've seen the BlueTherm Duo, which looks promising but not sure about that Bluetooth range... with they had something similar that wasn't Bluetooth. 

4 probes and more accurate/dependable would be a dream come true!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to your suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:43:49 PM by Libohunden »
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Suggestions for Maverick Replacement Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:51 PM »
Have you looked at the tappecue?  This link covers the features.  It has some good reviews.
http://www.tappecue.com/#!features/c21r
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:32:05 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:49:12 PM »
Thanks Sarge!  Tappeque looks nice.  it's an option for sure but there are some things I don't like about it. Cost, Probes and water resistance are its biggest negatives from what I can tell.

I'd also like to hear more about the igrill, thermoworks bluetherm duo.

Also, still interested in possibly a heatermeter. Still undecided about altering my smoker though.

When the Meater actually comes out, it may be the dream machine!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

es1025

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:08:34 PM »
I would suggest thermoworks products. Not sure about the bluetooth capability but thr products are outstanding. I have a dual probe device and a chef alarm single probe.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

va_rider

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 03:28:46 PM »
I've got a Thermoworks BlueTherm Duo that I'm absolutely happy with.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 02:17:51 PM »
I can't seem to find the bluetherm duo on their website?  Did they discontinue it?
The Woodlands, Texas

va_rider

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 02:29:14 PM »
Huh.... apparently they did. I can't find it on their website either.... damn shame. It's a great unit. Glad I got one before it was discontinued.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 08:27:17 PM »
Maybe they are about to release a 4 probe 2.4Ghtz version of it!  Or possibly a Wifi version! 
The Woodlands, Texas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 12:19:36 AM »
Libohunden, the Heatermeter don't require that you modify your smoker unless you want PID controls. You could run 4 probes into the box through the smoke hole. The wifi control/monitoring interface of it also gives you infinite range. Obviously the control only comes with the PID integration which does require smoker modifications.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Mr.Ed

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »
I have a little ThermoPro TP-08, It's similar to a maverick but is $50 on Amazon.
 http://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wireless-Digital-Kitchen-Thermometer/dp/B014DAVHSQ

Also I use two meat probes replacing the pit probe. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:22:17 PM by Mr.Ed »
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
Libohunden, the Heatermeter don't require that you modify your smoker unless you want PID controls. You could run 4 probes into the box through the smoke hole. The wifi control/monitoring interface of it also gives you infinite range. Obviously the control only comes with the PID integration which does require smoker modifications.

Tony, how much would a non-PID heater meter cost to build with thermoworks k type thermometer ports?

And thank you for your other messages on the heatermeter.  Much appreciated!
The Woodlands, Texas

es1025

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 04:35:19 PM »
Go the thermoworks.com, they have a great selection of well built devices.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Glock_21

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 07:44:51 PM »

I have two of the iGrill2 units.  They are OK, but not great.  Bluetooth is what it is.  My biggest issue with the iGrill is that I sometimes have to shut off the unit and restart it in order for it to connect to the App on my phone.  Probes seem to be as accurate as any other that I have used.  You can get an iGrill2 with 4 probes at Sam's for around 85 or 90 bucks.  They also pop up now and then as "Lightning Deals" on Amazon.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

Elliottbte

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »
Gents, I was about to replace one of my Maverick 733's... at roughly $70.  I like the range that it has and they've always been "good enough".  However, they aren't super accurate and the probes are kind of finicky and easy to make non-working.

I had similar frustrations with the 733 until I bought these probes:
http://www.maverickhousewares.com/parts/pr-022-br-waterproof-hybrid-probe-6ft-br-fits-et-732733735
I've had zero issues for a year now.  Also, I always remove batteries after each smoke as I think there is a low drain, at least in the receiver unit.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

Limey

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »
Brad you probably already know this but the receiver must synch before turning off or entering commands. Thus if you turn the receiver on and then quickly off again it will continue to search for a signal and drain the battery.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.