Author Topic: First Butt.. A great success  (Read 3939 times)

kona77

First Butt.. A great success
« on: May 22, 2016, 12:28:44 PM »
Put a 7.5lb butt on at 8:00 pm last night. Kept checking thru the night (12:00pm..3:00am etc) and learned what the "pause" is that I kept reading on this forum..Probe finally hit 190 at 8:15 and I wrapped it and let rest for 2 hours. The results were outstanding!!! Used DM's brine suggestion and a home made rub I found on-line. The butt had a great bark and the meat was really moist. Thanks again for all the great information everyone has shared on this site.

My only issue was I started the butt on the 2nd rack and I kept it towards the front of the 3-D. It was a good 6" inches away from the probe and I could not get the internal temperature over 150. Even moved the butt closer to the front and that did not help. I had cleaned the probe with a chlorox wet wipe after my first smoke and I know it is clean. I then moved the butt up to the top rack and the unit went up to 235 in 10-15 minutes. I see folks on this forum doing multiple butts and I know that means they need to use the lower racks. I know a larger butt would also not fit on the top rack.. How far do I need to keep a butt (or any other food item) away from the probe to keep it from impacting the temperature?? Assume it may vary from unit to unit     
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: First Butt.. A great success
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »
Move your probe to the top like it is should be and future smoking life will likely be a lot easier.  Steve has the D box probe in a less than perfect place. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 01:47:52 PM »
Kona, looks great!  How did you program the controller?  Are you sure you didn't have the first step set to 150 for a period of time? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kona77

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to take a look at the unit on the suggestion about moving the probe. I am little bit leery about drilling holes in the unit.

Tony- I was using the pre-programmed "P1" setting. On my first attempt the temperature reached 140 and when I moved the butt even closer to the front it reached 150. I do not believe I did anything different on my 3rd attempt other than moving the butt to the top shelf (it just barely fit). By the way I had the butt in your brine mix for a good 18 hours.. I believe your recipe calls for 12-13 hours. I have nothing to compare it against but it was certainly a moist and flavorful piece of meat.
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »
Kona, the P1 program is as follows:

C01  235  e01 F   F01  195   (Box temp of 235, triggered by internal temp, to 195)
C02  140  e02 t   t02   4.0    (Box temp of 140, for 4 hours time).

If you probe was exposed to box temp, it would have triggered the "hold" temp, step 2.  Not sure if it was, just thinking out loud.  When you put the meat in, do you remember what the readings were in the left and right windows?  Left being box temp, and right being meat temp.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

kona77

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:19:09 PM »
 Tony;
Was out of town for a few days and just catching up on stuff. I do not remember what the box temp. readings were on my first two attempts. Probably showing my ignorance of the 3D programming process but I thought Step 2 would not be triggered until the meat probe hit 195 ??   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »
You're right, about how the step is triggered.  I've seen probes be "fooled" several times, so that's why I was asking if there was a chance the probe was exposed to higher heat than the cold meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas

kona77

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 10:32:37 PM »
Tony:

I appreciate the suggestions. Certainly could have been "user error" as I get used to the
3-D programming. Will be taking our annual fishing trip next week so I will not be smoking for awhile. Plan to try ribs again in a few weeks.

This forum and all the good advise from the SI community is the main reason why I bought the unit. There is so much stuff I want to try (brisket, prime rib etc) and some day I will be able answer questions vs. asking them.

Gene   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »
Catch some big ones, Gene!  Sounds like that's what you should be smoking soon! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 12:27:22 AM »
Move your probe to the top like it is should be and future smoking life will likely be a lot easier.  Steve has the D box probe in a less than perfect place.

How would that be done?  I find the position in the 4D to possibly (since I haven't smoked anything in it yet) be problematic based on what I have read about not having any meat very close to it.
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 03:48:46 PM »

How would that be done?  I find the position in the 4D to possibly (since I haven't smoked anything in it yet) be problematic based on what I have read about not having any meat very close to it.

Scott, the 4 is so tall, I wouldn't think the lower probe location would be an issue, like in the 2 or 3.  But, if you want to move it, follow the instructions HERE.  It's not a hard job, just an itchy one!  Be sure to fill the hole, from the original location, with a bolt & nut, or just a dab of high-temp RTV gasket sealant.
Tony from NW Arkansas