Author Topic: Auto tuning now  (Read 2967 times)

Dan9327

Auto tuning now
« on: May 15, 2016, 07:29:19 PM »
Hello all,

So this 3D has been giving me fits. I can go a smoke or two and pull out pork that is to kill for. Then every 3rd smoke or so, the unit is just a giant headache that cause me to freak out.

I have done pork tenderloins in this a few weeks ago. Came out great and took just a little over 2 hours. Today tried same thing and couldn't get the unit to get hold temp. Set it at 225 and it reached 233. I switched power on and off and about 15 minutes later it wouldn't go above 215. Green light(element on) just flashed at about 5 second intervals. I'm so frustrated.

After about 4 hours of nonsense screwing around with it, I just pulled the pork at 145 and put it on the grill. Then promptly ran out of propane, which didn't improve my mood. So in the oven it went. Needless to say thank god for beer today.

I have had issues with this thing before, once 100 percent my fault and others completely unexplained why issues happened. I can by into "quirky" nature of auber a but only if it doesn't cost me a day of aggravation and the problem fixes itself. I'm at the point now that I don't ever know if this thing will work until I already purchased, brined, and rubbed meat. That's just no way to cook with a very expensive, few month old machine.

So anyway I decided to auto tune it today and it's currently running. I decided to do this before I contacted Steve in he hopes of some sort of answers. I previously contacted him and he wanted to ship me out a new unit but I was hesitant because shipping is really really expensive.

What is it that I should be looking for during this autotune? Currently I'm about 90 minutes in and it's flashing AT 153 in the left and 159 in the right. Have everything set up foiled etc like I would while cooking. Have two foil pans on top rack filled with sand.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Dan
Dan from Southern New Jersey
Novice guy with a 3D smoker

Dan9327

Re: Auto tuning now
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 08:48:19 PM »
Auto tune done:

P-61
I-500
D-296

I have no clue what that means.  maybe some help?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
Dan, the first generation of "D" models has the probe in a very precarious spot.  It is very subject to meat interference and heat shielding.  Be sure that your probe is clean and has plenty of clearance with the meat.  Being new, some of what you're experiencing is certainly aggravating.  If your temp over runs by 5 - 10 degrees, try waiting it out and it usually settles in with time.  It is not going to effect your end product in most cases. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:17:23 PM »
Dan, your numbers look inline.  I would recommend loading the smoker up with your sand pans (heat sink) and running a program of 225 for 2 hours.  Don't touch anything, just watch the temp occasionally.  This will be the test of your program. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Dan9327

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 08:58:02 PM »
Yea I made the mistake once of putting the probe into the meat. Since then I have been beyond careful to not make that mistake again. Also it is cleaned with a washcloth after each use.

I will run the 2 hour test in the next day or so and report back. I have already had to get the meat probe replaced. Man this thing seems to be really delicate.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
Dan, probes, whether Auber, Maverick, or any other brand, and inherently sensitive.  The bulb/capillary design makes them that way.  Until someone comes up with temp probes that move past that technology, they have to be treated gently.  I make every effort to treat my probes with care, and never submerge them when washing.  Any water introduced into the probe will cause it to fail.  In 3 years of using Auber PIDs, both stand alone and integrated, I have only experienced one meat probe failure.  But, that's why probes only carry a 90-day warranty.  Also, these are scientific-grade probes, so while they are better quality (accuracy-wise), that may also make them more sensitive to abuse (unintentional, of course).

Believe it or not, the units really aren't that "delicate."  Like I said, various Auber PIDs, and hundreds of smokes, and I've never had a failure, except one meat probe.  We'll get through this, together!  Thousands of happy owners, and we'll get to the bottom of why you're having issues!  One thing you will find here is lots of folks willing to help, and collectively, we usually figure it out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!