Author Topic: Ideas on feeding 100 people? (graduation party)  (Read 13110 times)

jpowell

• facebook
Re: Ideas on feeding 100 people? (graduation party)
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »
Also, when I'm cooking for that many people, I don't worry about brining them. Too much of a hassle.
Well, I considered that. Then learned that several people want to come sample my work to see exactly how good it is.  #gulp :-)
Figured I'd go all in and do my best to impress. 

Warming thoughts?
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »
Looks like an epic smoke, Jason!!  Save yourself some time, though, and pull those butts out at 190 to wrap/rest.  When you go to 200, the carryover cooking takes them about 5° higher, and will dry them more.  The meat also risks getting more "mushy" at 200.  190 yields really good pulled pork!

You know my thoughts on brining.... I'd brine 'em all! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 12:36:57 AM »
Looks like an epic smoke, Jason!!  Save yourself some time, though, and pull those butts out at 190 to wrap/rest.  When you go to 200, the carryover cooking takes them about 5° higher, and will dry them more.  The meat also risks getting more "mushy" at 200.  190 yields really good pulled pork!
The last butt I pulled at 190F had really firm the meat around the bone area for some reason. It didn't fall apart like the rest of the chunk?  I assumed it just didn't cook long enough even with the 4hr foil-n-rest it had. I'll shoot for 190 again and see what happens.  Thanks!
Jason
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

Greenenvey

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 10:33:45 AM »
Also, when I'm cooking for that many people, I don't worry about brining them. Too much of a hassle.
Well, I considered that. Then learned that several people want to come sample my work to see exactly how good it is.  #gulp :-)
Figured I'd go all in and do my best to impress. 

Warming thoughts?
I don't have any advice on because  I'm still waiting  to receive  my 3D , but I like the part about  you going all in and doing  your best. That's exactly  what I would do. Have fun with this endeavor  :D
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 07:24:51 PM »
The last butt I pulled at 190F had really firm the meat around the bone area for some reason. It didn't fall apart like the rest of the chunk?  I assumed it just didn't cook long enough even with the 4hr foil-n-rest it had. I'll shoot for 190 again and see what happens.  Thanks!

Play with it - find what works best for you!  Maybe try 195, and see if it works better.  I just have found 200 to be way too dry.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 12:17:52 PM »
Well, I had several setbacks so didn't get the 3D actually on until 1:48am!  GRRR
I had a hard time getting 2 butts on the top of the 3D without touching the internal prob :-(
I didn't like the bottom butts being so close to the heating element and wasting all the space near the top, but finally gave up and this was the final positioning. 

The biggest problem was that in all my rush and setbacks of the night (long story), I pulled the 4 butts from the fridge and they ended up sitting at room temp from about 11pm.  I had no intentions they'd be warming up from the fridge for almost 2 hours before going in the smoker <face palm>.  I think the internal probes were measuring high 40's to low 50's by the time I hit power on the 3D.
I set the 3D to 240F, set the 4 maverick probes to 170F and went to bed around 3am.
Around 5am probes on the bottom 2 butts started beeping that they had hit 160F IT already!  I was surprised and bummed they got that far so quickly...I assume because they had warmed up so much just sitting out?  I went back out and lowered the 3D to 225F.
Around 9:30am both bottom butts were right at 180F IT...and they stalled there until 11am when I finally woke up.  I went and bumped the temp back up to 235F and they've climbed to 181-183 in the hour since then.  Top butts are both at low 170's IT.
In hindsight, I should have just done 2 butts at a time.
I'm assuming the stuff will still taste fine, but also assuming it will not be the best it could have been.  Will know at some point later today :-)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:20:58 PM by jpowell »
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 12:23:25 PM »
3D will easily handle 40+ pounds of butts, that's what I would do also, here's a picture with 3 of the 4 butts I smoked all at one time a few months ago.

@kz0m - did you have problems when the top butts getting too close to the internal temp prob?
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 02:30:22 PM »
2:04pm the brined butt hit 190F. It basically fell apart when I lifted it out to put in foil :-)  It's resting.
Other butts were between 175-180F and not really moving so I wrapped them and put back in smoker ... which was not easy as they also were falling apart mostly because the fat caps were sticking to the grates.
So at least nothing is dried out thus far :-)
Now to wait for the foiled butts to hit 190.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 02:55:00 PM by jpowell »
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »
Jason,

It's not surprising they hit 160 that fast, at all.  Butts will typically climb to that temp really fast, but once they get in the 170s, and stall, the fast climb is over!  Personally, I never foil anything, so I just watch until they come out of the stall, and take them out at 190ish.  With a 4-butt smoke, you could have rotated the shelves halfway through, to keep them more even.

If you're handy with a screwdriver and drill, you can move the box probe to where it should have been to begin with.  The factory messed up, but now all new smokers will have it 1" down from the top.  Check out the Auber Instructions section for How to Install a Permanent Probe (it's at the top).  Really nice getting that thing up out of the way, and the use of a 1" nylon spacer also keeps an extra inch out of the box!
Tony from NW Arkansas

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 03:29:06 PM »
Rats! I freaked for no reason. Live and learn.
I need longer probe wires. They make any shuffling a pain when they are shorter. Actually I just want wireless :-)

Yeah I'll be moving that temp probe soon. What an unexpected pain that was.

Thanks for the continued help!
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 03:55:39 PM »
No problem, Jason!  That's what we're here for!

When I first started smoking meat, it totally freaked me out how fast butts and briskets initially climb!  It was like, "holy cow!  My 9 lb butt is going to be done in 4 hours, at this rate!"  Hehe.  Learned not to adjust temps, as the stall would end up lasting longer!  Go with the basics that pork butts are never going to take less than an hour per pound, and as much as 2.  Relax, and enjoy a cold beverage of choice! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »
My fear was I goofed up by letting the butts warm up for several hours before hitting the smoker.
What's the appropriate time frame between out of fridge and into smoker?
My other problem was setting the maverick to alert at 160F (in case I wanted to foil them)...had I set it to 190 I would have slept and been none the wiser lol.
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »
What's the appropriate time frame between out of fridge and into smoker?
My other problem was setting the maverick to alert at 160F (in case I wanted to foil them)...had I set it to 190 I would have slept and been none the wiser lol.

Fridge to smoker?  How long does it take you to rinse, dry, slather in mustard and rub? ;)   There's your answer!

I see why you did the 160 alert, but for me, that would have been the cue to rotate the two shelves, not foil.  Just the way I do things, and I have no problem with folks that foil!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Greenenvey

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 05:51:51 PM »
Jason,

It's not surprising they hit 160 that fast, at all.  Butts will typically climb to that temp really fast, but once they get in the 170s, and stall, the fast climb is over!  Personally, I never foil anything, so I just watch until they come out of the stall, and take them out at 190ish.  With a 4-butt smoke, you could have rotated the shelves halfway through, to keep them more even.

If you're handy with a screwdriver and drill, you can move the box probe to where it should have been to begin with.  The factory messed up, but now all new smokers will have it 1" down from the top.  Check out the Auber Instructions section for How to Install a Permanent Probe (it's at the top).  Really nice getting that thing up out of the way, and the use of a 1" nylon spacer also keeps an extra inch out of the box!
Will my new #3D have the probe in the new location?
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »
Tony - On the subject of relocating the probe closer to the top:  Would there be any benefit other than space to mount it from the side wall and parallel to the back?  Would temperature accuracy be affected if not close to the center of the smoker? Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus