Author Topic: "Smokinlicious.com" wood  (Read 70628 times)

Nimrod

Re: "Smokinlicious.com" wood
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
I guess I could say we have access to cows and hogs too but something to be said for 'ready to go'😉

Just might be opportunity to try something different though?
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2016, 09:24:48 PM »
You bet!  One log of local wood is enough chunks to last you a year in our smokers!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2016, 12:27:15 AM »
You bet!  One log of local wood is enough chunks to last you a year in our smokers!
+1. A little goes a long way in these smokers!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

Nimrod

« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2016, 11:50:14 AM »
Thanks Al!
I purchased the SI because of the quality but only now learning how truly efficient they are :D
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

Glock_21

« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
You guys talked me into it.  Placed an order with Smokinlicious for 2/3 cu/ft today, hickory and cherry. 
Guess i need to plan a smoke for next week to try out the new wood.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

DivotMaker

« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »
Guess i need to plan a smoke for next week to try out the new wood.

Absolutely!  You'll be glad you are getting the cleanest wood on the planet, and it will actually make you better looking, and make you feel better about yourself, as a Pit Master.  Don't underestimate the power of good wood! ;) ;D ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Glock_21

« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2016, 10:35:44 PM »

I already feel better as a pit master for ordering "real" wood.  Better looking?  Wood ain't gonna help that situation. ;D
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

DivotMaker

« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2016, 04:55:23 PM »
[quote author=Glock_21 link=topic=3349.msg47599#msg47599 date=1465439744
Better looking?  Wood ain't gonna help that situation. ;D

Ya' never know, Travis... it's like chicken soup; may not help, but sure can't hurt! ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2016, 05:10:43 PM »
Got my box of Smokinlicious wood today.  Looks like I got some with some good moisture content.  I HATE to waste things, but I believe I am going to go fire up the smoker with a piece and see if it catches fire or produces nice TBS. :)

Oh, and YES, Donna is the best.  Exemplary customer service.  I told her she deserves a raise. :)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

DivotMaker

« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »
Sounds good, Scott!  Btw - if you haven't done any experimentation on this yet, you might remember where the chunks were that caught fire.  All of these smoke boxes have "zones" that are hotter or cooler.  Make sure you don't place your chunks directly over the bottom holes, and use a different spot than the chunks that burned.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 05:27:42 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

Glock_21

« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
Box from Smokinlicious arrived yesterday.  Now, when and what to use it on??

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »

I used the cherry on 9 racks of baby back ribs on Friday and they turned out AWESOME!!  Well, that's what the people we were catering for said, anyway.  I barely tried just a little bit to see how it tasted and couldn't really taste the smoke flavor as much as the rub.

However, I honestly cannot tell just how much smoke I am getting out of this new smoker from the wood I have tried.  When my smoker has been on for about 15 minutes, I get perfect thin blue smoke, the smoke we all want to hit our food.  Problem is, that TBS is coming from the element heating up the drippings, etc and not from the wood as I have opened my smoker to see where the smoke is coming from that early in the smoke and there is NOTHING coming out of the smoke box.  Later during the smoke, I have a lot of white smoke coming out of the vent and the top right side of my door, but again, I don't know if it's coming from the smoke box or from drippings.  It's very frustrating, knowing I should be using TBS for smoking and not seeing it while doing so.  Or after the smoking is done, opening the smoke box and seeing that the wood doesn't appear to have smoldered all that much.

Have fun with your new wood. :)

DivotMaker

« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2016, 10:35:10 PM »
Scott, quit opening the door and let it smoke.  When you start to see smoke, from the hole, does it smell like wood smoke, or meat juice (like on the grill)?  There's a difference, my friend.  Just for fun, try keeping that door closed for the duration of the smoke, and see what happens.  Even when it looks like no more smoke is coming out of the blow hole (that's what I call the exhaust hole on top), the box is still filled with smoke.  If you open the door, more than necessary, you are disrupting the process of smoldering the wood and producing smoke, risking combustion, and letting valuable smoke escape. 

Now, before you take offense, look, again, at your statement: "I used the cherry on 9 racks of baby back ribs on Friday and they turned out AWESOME!!  Well, that's what the people we were catering for said, anyway."  That's powerful stuff!  Sometimes, we are much more analytical - and critical - than are our eaters!  We also tend to overthink things, too (I used to be really bad about that).  I am absolutely convinced that the smokinlicous wood is, by far, the best smoking wood I've used, and will stake my reputation on that.  With that said, we also have to let it do its job, which is to smoke.  One thing you need to do is find the "hot spots" in your smoke box.  Some time, take a handful of cheap chunks, spread them out evenly in your smoke box, and run it on 250 for about an hour.  Let them cool, and check out the chunks.  You'll see the hot spot of your element, and adjust accordingly.  The electric is a different animal, but you can certainly tame the animal and make it work for you! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2016, 06:56:23 PM »

I used the cherry on 9 racks of baby back ribs on Friday and they turned out AWESOME!!  Well, that's what the people we were catering for said, anyway.  I barely tried just a little bit to see how it tasted and couldn't really taste the smoke flavor as much as the rub.

However, I honestly cannot tell just how much smoke I am getting out of this new smoker from the wood I have tried.  When my smoker has been on for about 15 minutes, I get perfect thin blue smoke, the smoke we all want to hit our food.  Problem is, that TBS is coming from the element heating up the drippings, etc and not from the wood as I have opened my smoker to see where the smoke is coming from that early in the smoke and there is NOTHING coming out of the smoke box.  Later during the smoke, I have a lot of white smoke coming out of the vent and the top right side of my door, but again, I don't know if it's coming from the smoke box or from drippings.  It's very frustrating, knowing I should be using TBS for smoking and not seeing it while doing so.  Or after the smoking is done, opening the smoke box and seeing that the wood doesn't appear to have smoldered all that much.

Have fun with your new wood. :)

How much did your ribs weigh;how long did you smoke them; and how much wood did you use?  These details help us all to know what when right and what didn't.  I even keep a record of each meat I smoke so I can look back; compare the variations/changes I've made, and decide what I might do differently the next time.  Plus, I wouldn't remember otherwise :)   
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2016, 02:02:58 AM »
Scott, quit opening the door and let it smoke.  When you start to see smoke, from the hole, does it smell like wood smoke, or meat juice (like on the grill)? Sometimes it smells like just smoke, sometimes like smoke and our rub (which is one of the best smells EVER. ;) There's a difference, my friend.  Just for fun, try keeping that door closed for the duration of the smoke, and see what happens.  Even when it looks like no more smoke is coming out of the blow hole (that's what I call the exhaust hole on top), the box is still filled with smoke. How can that be?  Not trying to be argumentative, but if I can't see smoke, how can there be smoke?  You know?  If you open the door, more than necessary, you are disrupting the process of smoldering the wood and producing smoke, risking combustion, and letting valuable smoke escape. And increasing the time to finish the job. ;)  I REALLY miss the glass door of my MES.

Now, before you take offense, look, again, at your statement: "I used the cherry on 9 racks of baby back ribs on Friday and they turned out AWESOME!!  Well, that's what the people we were catering for said, anyway."  That's powerful stuff!  Sometimes, we are much more analytical - and critical - than are our eaters!  We also tend to overthink things, too (I used to be really bad about that). I never take offense at those that are trying to help me and I thank you for all of your words of wisdom and advice.  But, you're right.  We are contemplating making this a business and our biggest goal is consistency of product.  We HATE to go to a restaurant and have a great meal, go back and have it taste different because someone cooked it differently or something happened.  In this case, I worry about whether or not the wood is actually smoking or not.  If it's catching fire or not and producing a smoke that will ruin my food, etc etc etc.  I am really trying not to freak out about it all. ;) I am absolutely convinced that the smokinlicous wood is, by far, the best smoking wood I've used, and will stake my reputation on that.  With that said, we also have to let it do its job, which is to smoke.  One thing you need to do is find the "hot spots" in your smoke box.  Some time, take a handful of cheap chunks, spread them out evenly in your smoke box, and run it on 250 for about an hour.  Let them cool, and check out the chunks.  You'll see the hot spot of your element, and adjust accordingly.  The electric is a different animal, but you can certainly tame the animal and make it work for you! That sounds like great advice.  However, I'm having one of my not so bright moments and have to ask, do I avoid the hot spots like the plague, or is that where I want my chunks to make sure they actually smoke?

I am totally and completely 100% self taught.  If you consider being on Smokingmeatforum dot com A LOT as self taught.  And the two things I remember more than anything is 1: Leave the door closed and just cook low and slow and 2: You want thin blue smoke.  There is another forum topic somewhere that I brought this issue up and some responses were made, but if I don't find them and respond there, please know I am just going on what I have read for the last couple of years what I should be looking for in regards to smoke color and when I see solid white smoke........or none at all coming out of the "blow hole", I do tend to panic and wonder what's going to become of the treasures behind that big stainless steel door. ;)

Thanks again for EVERYTHING.  I do sincerely appreciate it.