Author Topic: First Attempt at Cold Smoking Cheese  (Read 12340 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First Attempt at Cold Smoking Cheese
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 08:06:09 PM »
I still have the screenshot, Gregg!  Hands-down, one of the best, and funniest, things I've ever seen!  He's a legend! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 05:16:47 PM »
Just a quick follow-up on my cheese smoke.

I tried a small block of the Colby/Jack on 1/24 (8 days after the smoke) and it was still really smoky and had a pretty heavy ash tray taste.

I am hoping that some more time mellowing in the fridge will tone it down.

I will try again this weekend and post another update.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »
Gregg,
Were your blocks wrapped loose or vacuum wrapped?  I've read and seen both.  I went with the loose wrap thinking it could breathe better. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »
Vacuum-packed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 07:12:53 PM »
I'ts been a long time since this post has had an update.  How did you cheese turn out?  And I would like to see the funny selfie. ;)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 12:50:45 AM »
The cheese turned out awesome! I have smoked several other batches since then and now have a pretty full stock of smoked cheese (for now). But since summer is coming rapidly and temps aren't getting that low anymore it will have to last me until Fall.

The A-MAZE-N AMMTS worked awesome for the cheese.

The selfie was of Wiki sunbathing in a swim suit in his back yard on a lawn chair in the snow. I think he pulled it, so you'll just have to use your imagination. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 07:24:20 PM »
The selfie was of Wiki sunbathing in a swim suit in his back yard on a lawn chair in the snow. I think he pulled it, so you'll just have to use your imagination. ;)

No offense to anyone new, but that selfie is reserved for those of us that saw it a few years ago....funniest thing I've ever seen!  I would never post this screen shot without Wik's permission!  I just wouldn't do it!  So, don't try to make me!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 01:31:20 AM »
The cheese turned out awesome! I have smoked several other batches since then and now have a pretty full stock of smoked cheese (for now). But since summer is coming rapidly and temps aren't getting that low anymore it will have to last me until Fall.

The A-MAZE-N AMMTS worked awesome for the cheese.

Thanks.  And thanks for the visual.  But, not really. ;)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.