Author Topic: Does it get to hot to smoke?  (Read 2572 times)

Greenenvey

Does it get to hot to smoke?
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:54:16 AM »
Hi, as im waiting  on my new #2D to ship, it dawned on me I have really done most of my smoking with prior  smokers in the winter. Now that I'm in Idaho and we have very hot summers and I want to smoke fish, am I going  to have issues smoking in the heat?
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

slojoe

• Retired and lovin it
Re: Does it get to hot to smoke?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:32:48 AM »
Should not be a problem, the heat here in Louisiana has not affected my #2 in any way.
Joe, Smokin on #2, Navy Vet., Life NRA

Walt

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:02:16 PM »
Only an issue for cold smoking. The summers here in Louisiana can be overbearing with high 90's in both heat & humidity. I added an external smoke generator, the Big Kahuna, which makes the process much easier. I smoke 2 or 3 times a week year round.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

drains

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 05:33:56 PM »
Been here a while now and never heard of anyone having issues with either hot or cold weather. I've smoked below freezing in the wind and in hot as hades summers here in East Texas in smothering humidity and absolutely no ill effects. Only smoker I ever used that weather had no effect on whatsoever.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:54:15 PM »
You may need to look into getting an A-MAZE-N Smoker:

A-MAZE-N Cold Smoke Generator

Maintaining smoke in an SI without the cold smoking plate can be tough in hot weather. For less money, I prefer the A-MAZE-N smokers verses the cold plate. You can also use frozen water/soda bottles to help keep the heat down too.

But, in average temps, you should not really even need the A-MAZE-N smoker. Just make sure you use chips instead of chunks as they will start to smoker at lower temps.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.