Author Topic: Hello Smokers!  (Read 2250 times)

tjones96761

Hello Smokers!
« on: April 26, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
Wanted to say hi and thanks for the great info so far. I bought a 3D and put it on a craftsman cart last week. Smoked boneless breasts for lunch Sunday then a med rare rump roast for dinner. The breasts only took 1hr 20min from cold, that was a big surprise. And my first time starting from a cold smoker. My 2oz wood chunk just looked blackened and exactly the same shape it was going in. So I left it and just added a 1.8oz chunk for the rump roast. It came out slightly bitter on the surface, but still very good. Probably should have discarded the reminents of the first smoke.
No issue with the PID, I'm fluent in HMI/PLC languages from work. I can see where someone that hasn't been exposed to those things might struggle tho.
I've got "no peek" ribs going now that should be ready about the time I get home. Set controller last night so all I had to do was stick the ribs in this morning. C1 at 0f for 3hrs then C2 at 235f for 6hrs then C3 at 170f for 12hrs. Got some different woods, so trying .8 maple, 1.3 apple and .5 pecan. Never used maple or pecan before, should be interesting. I'll be home soon after C3 hits so I can either pull them or reset and cook more. This is the exact reason I bought the 3D. 2 working parents with kids trying to eat somewhat healthy is tough when there's only 2 hours from the time we get home and bedtime, and in between cooking, eating, showers, homework and dishes have to be done.
It is kinda stormy here, hope the power doesn't go out and reset my controller...
I've been cooking and grilling for years, just started smoking in January. Bought a second hand Cajun Injector XL from craigslist that did mostly OK for $100. Door seams leaked like a sieve, and it would only get to about 235 at the rack when set to 275. But it served its purpose, testing the water before I dove in. I did mod it with a smoke box, air pump and amnps pellet tray that I still have. Haven't tried to hook that to the 3D, but might if I decide to cold smoke. I did like using the amnps and ability to mix and match different woods without investing a ton of money or storage space. Pros and cons to every decision I suppose...
Thanks for having me gents!
"It’s not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would do it, if it were easy." - Tyrion Lannister

When I get tied down by the ties that bind, seems like I'm never gonna find the time to do what I need. - Jason Boland "Somewhere Down in Texas"

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello Smokers!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »
Welcome from Delaware!   You have found the right place, and it sounds like you are breaking in the 3D nicely!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »
Welcome Tim from SE Arizona. Enjoy the SI3D. Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
Welcome, Tim!  That's an interesting program for ribs.  I'll be interested to see how they turn out...please post some pics and let us know!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 04:54:49 PM »
Welcome from ND Tim! You are going to love your #3D.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »
Hey Tim, Welcome from N'Eastern MA. 
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

drains

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »
Welcome from Texas Tim! Enjoy your new smoker. Come hang out with us when you can.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3