Author Topic: Venison Summer Sausage  (Read 4223 times)

Joe Rinaldi

Venison Summer Sausage
« on: April 04, 2016, 05:59:24 PM »
I did 20 lbs of Jalepeno with Hot Pepper cheese Summer Sausage yesterday. Turned out great.  Here was my programming, 140 2 hrs. 155 3.5 hrs. 175 to IT 155. I was hoping for more smoke production at the 155 set point. I'll have to work on that. I used the jerky dryer after the first 2 hours. Total time was around 17 hours. When IT reached 150 they went into the ice bath for 40 minutes then placed in the fridge overnight. I just Vacuum sealed and in the freezer they went. Plenty of snacking this summer! 
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Venison Summer Sausage
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:06:05 PM »
Wow, Joe!  That summer sausage looks incredible!  I'll be more than happy to send you my address, if you have more than you can handle! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:19:28 PM »
That looks awesome Joe!

Did you use chips or chunks? At lower temps, you will get a lot better smoke production out of chips or chunks that have been cut down to slivers, or even pellets. The chunks are hard to keep smoldering at lower temps.

Also, if you haven't found the hot spot on your element, a quick test with an empty smoker and your smoke box filled from front to back will show you which part of your smoker runs the hottest.

Your sticks look really good and evenly cooked. I am kind of surprised that the bottoms didn't get a little too much heat with them being so close to the heating element. If it were me, I think I would try to rig the top strings to pull the sticks up closer to the top of the smoker and further away from the element. But, if your sticks cooked as evenly as they look, this may not even be necessary.

I could sent you my mailing address too. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:21:42 PM »
Because of the non-edible casing and use of the fan you can get away with having a lot of smoke. I like chips for the low temp long smokes.

Sausage looks good, nice job.   
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:56:23 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have chips and didn't even think to use them.  Do you guys place them in foil or lay them directly on the bottom of the wood box?  As far as the bottoms cooking hotter, they didn't at all.  Even temps throughout.  I will raise them up next go round for sure though. Other than the low smoke I couldn't ask for a better cook.  Thanks to you guys I think I've got that resolved for the next run.   
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »
I use a chip tray when I use chips. If you don't have the chip tray, yes I would use foil. You don't necessarily have to wrap them in foil, but just make kind of a foil boat for them to sit in. I have heard that the #4 elements are pretty powerful, so putting the chips directly in the smoke box may cause too much combustion.

I have done tests with a full smoke box, so I know where my hot spots are at. So, I strategically place chips in both my hot spot as well as the spots that are not quite as hot. Brian (AKA Pork Belly) also soaks some of his chips which aids in a delayed smoke starting point because the chips don't really start smoking until they dry out.

So, using this or a combination of these things should help you extend your smoke on the next round.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »
I use a chip tray and nothing else, I also use way more chips than would seem reasonable, at least a couple of handfuls. I do the same for jerky.
- Sigmund Freud

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 05:12:13 PM »
Does the chip tray go in the wood box or do you place it on a rack? 
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 05:18:22 PM »
It goes in the fire box to block the big holes. The chips go on  top of the chip screen.
- Sigmund Freud