Author Topic: Auber / Maverick / Confused & Frustrated  (Read 7664 times)

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
Re: Auber / Maverick / Confused & Frustrated
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »
I did a little work today.  I installed a toggle with the launcher cover in translucent red.   While in the back of the smoker, I checked all wiring from the original controller bypass.  I re-routed some wires to keep from crossing too many wires up. 

Once finished I decided to do another auto tune thinking maybe I had fixed the issue.   Well, I don't think it's necessarily fixed. 
Tonight's auto tune results:
P-100
I-53
D-131

I did get closer to what I believe the norm is with my drop in probe so I may check that again. 

The other thing I tested was Auber temps as compared to my iGrill & Maverick 733.   I placed 1 maverick probe and 1 iGrill probe next to where the Permanent Auber probe was.  I also dangled an iGrill probe next to the controllers bulb just for comparisons sake.   The maverick and iGrill were within 1-3 degrees of each other the whole time except for initial ramp and secondary ramp.  The Auber was reading 5-10 degrees higher than the other two probes the entire cook. For instance when the Auber said 225, the other probes were reading 217.  This could be a reason for longer cook times.

Is there a way to calibrate the Auber probes?  I have not seen reference to that but have not looked very hard yet. 

I am going to try the stock controller tomorrow to see how well it holds temp as you all suggested. 

I also included some graphs of the auto tune. You can see when the auto tune finishes and it tries to hold to 225.  The Auber never jumped more than +/- 1 degree and read 225 although both the other thermometers disputed that. 

Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »
Charlie, I don't think the cph series has the probe offset (calibration) feature, but I'll check.  The gph series does.

It does!  Under lock code 155, you will SC1 and SC2 (probe offset, +/- 20°).  I would use the ice water test, with both probes plugged in, and see what they are reading.  Then, enter the offset to adjust to 32°.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:31:35 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cwshiles

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »
Thanks Tony!   I still think my auto tune numbers are funky with the in wall probe. The drop in was a little closer to the norm.   I'll calibrate, retry it and also test my stock controller one day this week. I planned to do it today but had a long day at work. I was day dreaming about BBQ and my next smoke all day. 
Charlie from MD

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 09:54:48 PM »
I think the offset setting will help, Charlie.  Set it, and smoke something!! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

cwshiles

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 12:15:18 AM »
Ok.  I ran the smoker with the stock controller after adding my toggle switch.  It worked but did notice some interesting things.  Maybe you have seen the same. 

I set the #3 to 225 on the dial.  Wet sand in the pan and water box touching the smoke box. 

The temps at the bottom (Stock probe) and top of the smoker wall mount Auber probe)were about 10 + degrees apart.   I put my iGrill probes next to both locations upper/lower to test and graph.  The swings are larger than I would have expected.  What was interesting to me is that at 225, the lower part of the smoker was hitting and exceeding 225 where the top never actually made it to the target temp of 225. No wonder myself and others have had issues with with slow cook times; it'snot getting to temp, and when it gets close it swings back down to 205.  Has anyone seen this too?

Possible fixes?
  • want to cook at 225?  Turn the dial to 235.
  • adjust the stock controller by adjusting the dial.  I think I saw a post on this.

Has anyone upgraded their bulb/ capillary / analog controller?  Lots of them out there. I would think that one might exist that can regulate the temperature to a slightly tighter swing. 

I will calibrate all the probes in the next couple days and cook this weekend. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:18:38 AM by cwshiles »
Charlie from MD

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 06:41:54 PM »
Interesting, Charlie.  Smokin Tex started the factory probe in the middle of the box, and I now believe it's a bad location; too close to the element.  I believe (and Auber agrees) that the heat near the top of the box is the most stable, so future generations of the standard controller units should have the probe up high, like we do the Auber probe.

You can re-calibrate your dial by following this link:  Temperature Control Adjustment

Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »
Hi Charlie, took some time to digest your photos and went back to the first post and read everything again.  I think the offset like Tony suggested will work.  That link I sent has replacement units but at a cost in excess of $100.00 if I remember correctly; not sure it is worth it.  My CS has the probe just above the element.  I like the probe at the top just like our home oven. The first few smokes I did (CS) went fine, but the temp climb was pretty good considering the probe was within inches of the heat. With the probe on top, and a meat product between the element and the top probe, the meat is going to absorb a lot of the heat and may I state even have a cooling effect on the rising heat before it gets to the top probe.  In time, as the meat or in your case wet sand, starts climbing in temp, things start equalizing. If you look at what I posted earlier regarding butts in the CS, times were all over yet weight pretty much the same.  I gave up trying to figure it out and just enjoyed the results. I know you are aware of all this but I was drinking a cold Negra Modelo and felt the urge to chime in.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

cwshiles

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 11:41:47 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.   I am going to cook something up this weekend and see how it performs.  I will adjust the analog control to up the temp and hopefully balance out the heat at the top of the smoker.   

Enjoy the Negro Modello.  I just had on of those last week. It was on my international beer club list.  100 beers from around the world.  I am 5 beers away from my second lap. :-)

Thanks for humoring me and my tests. I just want it right and I want to use this puppy but after the previous poor experiences I got frustrated and stopped.  I am glad you guys are here for the sanity checks and advice. 

By the way, Tony, did my going back to the analog controller do what you expected?  I am assuming that was to make sure the wiring wasn't amiss. 

Any thoughts on why my wall probe is giving such different read outs than my drop in probe?  I have not contacted Auber yet but may.  I Also need to do my probe calibration. 
Charlie from MD

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 06:47:07 PM »
Charlie, testing the stock controller helped eliminate a problem with the element, more than anything.  Try the probe offset, and let's see how it goes.  Congrats on almost starting your second lap! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas