Author Topic: Building HeaterMeter PID - DIY  (Read 60333 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Re: Building HeaterMeter PID - DIY
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »
You bet.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Trip

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »
Didn't feel like making a new thread, doing a pork butt for the fourth

Think I need to play with my values some, getting some bigger swings.  Had to open twice to adjust the wood and put in the water can I forgot...

http://si3.twowheelvinyl.com
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:48:32 PM by Trip »

wasitim

« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
I know it's been a while since anyone has added to this thread, but here goes.

When you wire the SSR, are you using the blower or using the servo wires for control or does it even matter?
Tim - Cape Cod

lbnaz

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2016, 07:23:46 PM »
You use the Blower output. The servo output is used to control a damper (not used on an electric smoker). Mine works great on a SI#3 with solid state relay. If you need the software setup let me know.
Larry
Corning,NY
SI #3 with Heatermeter
Wilmington Grill Cape Fear

Trip

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2016, 06:22:54 PM »
Responded to you, Tim.  Hope you got everything going.  Blue pair  5 - 4.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2016, 11:58:06 PM »
My HeaterMeter is still going strong. I spent some time resoldering it and cleaning the joints afterwords because I was having quite a bit of "noise" issues. I haven't used it much since the resolder but I'm doing a dual pork butt smoke session tomorrow night so we will so how it goes.

Tony from Marion, IA

lbnaz

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2016, 02:26:03 PM »
How did the Heatermeter work?
Are you still having noise issues? Mine has been working great, I have used it about 10 times now, its nice to be able to use your phone to monitor & control. The Pit probe on mine is the only one that fluctuates looking somewhat like noise. I think it is just reflecting the temp shift from the heating element being cycled on and off. I need to look closer at this sometime.
Larry
Corning,NY
SI #3 with Heatermeter

wasitim

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
Thanks for the help with the wiring guys. Got it all hooked up and doing some test runs now. Trying to find the correct PID values. I don't have the back cover on yet but it's swinging past the set point by a bit. 130 SP is hitting 155 before settling back. I do a bit of cold smoking with cold plate so I'm hoping to get PID control around 90F. I normally do salmon for 3 hours where I turn it on full tilt for 15 minutes each hour. Cold plate and ice tray and it comes out great. I suppose if I can PID that low, I can hack some scripts to do the bang bang. I'm currently using Tman's P=10, I=.007, D=20. I'd like to get that overshoot down. I suppose until I have some product in the S2 I'm just wasting my time. Can't wait to get the email and notifications going so I can check this all out from the boat in the summer.
Tim - Cape Cod

lbnaz

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »
 Glad you got it working. I tuned mine with nothing in it. Didn't have to change tuning much at all when I started smoking with food in it. It usually will hold +/- 1 unless the wind is bad here ( I get tremendous wind at my house at times) then it will swing out sometimes as much as 5 to 10 degrees. I have email & sms working as well as remote monitoring from anywhere. This thing is just awesome. Doing a pork butt right now. Good Luck with tuning.
Larry
Corning,NY
SI #3 with Heatermeter

Trip

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »
I haven't tried to go that low yet, but was considering it.  Does the wood get smoking that way or are you using an amnps or something?

I like a bit of swing in mine at higher temps, the wood seems to smoke better and the meat seems to cook at the same speed as normal operation of the SI3 instead of a lot slower with the constant on and off switching.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2016, 08:17:41 AM »
How did the Heatermeter work?
Are you still having noise issues? Mine has been working great, I have used it about 10 times now, its nice to be able to use your phone to monitor & control. The Pit probe on mine is the only one that fluctuates looking somewhat like noise. I think it is just reflecting the temp shift from the heating element being cycled on and off. I need to look closer at this sometime.

I think I finally got to the bottom of my noise issues. I had a bad probe that was affecting everything. I'm doing a prime rib smoke today so I'll know for sure after a few more smokes under my belt that it's truely fixed.

Tony from Marion, IA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2016, 08:27:50 AM »
Thanks for the help with the wiring guys. Got it all hooked up and doing some test runs now. Trying to find the correct PID values. I don't have the back cover on yet but it's swinging past the set point by a bit. 130 SP is hitting 155 before settling back. I do a bit of cold smoking with cold plate so I'm hoping to get PID control around 90F. I normally do salmon for 3 hours where I turn it on full tilt for 15 minutes each hour. Cold plate and ice tray and it comes out great. I suppose if I can PID that low, I can hack some scripts to do the bang bang. I'm currently using Tman's P=10, I=.007, D=20. I'd like to get that overshoot down. I suppose until I have some product in the S2 I'm just wasting my time. Can't wait to get the email and notifications going so I can check this all out from the boat in the summer.

Tim - I've cold smoke salmon once and it turned out great. Here's what I did:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3157.msg24296#msg24296

Tony from Marion, IA

wasitim

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »
I haven't tried to go that low yet, but was considering it.  Does the wood get smoking that way or are you using an amnps or something?

I like a bit of swing in mine at higher temps, the wood seems to smoke better and the meat seems to cook at the same speed as normal operation of the SI3 instead of a lot slower with the constant on and off switching.

Sorry for late reply, was on vacation last week.

I've been following SconnieQ's approach here http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=o7df1n4edv95k4ob67je4tntu5&topic=2770.msg21136#msg21136

You turn it on full blast for 15 minutes then off for 45. Repeat over three hours, it's perfect, just like you'd get from a great deli. I've been playing with different sugar/salt/spice ratios. They've all been good but haven't found the perfect one yet.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:19:11 AM by wasitim »
Tim - Cape Cod

wasitim

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2016, 08:18:24 AM »

Tim - I've cold smoke salmon once and it turned out great. Here's what I did:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3157.msg24296#msg24296

Yeah, that looks great Tman!. I'll be doing some of the hot smoked variety soon. Been on a homemade bagel making kick lately since I built a wood fired oven in the back yard so I've been looking for that soft cold smoke. I use the cold smoke plate and fill a roasting pan with ice cubes. Never see more than 90F.
Tim - Cape Cod

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2017, 09:58:59 PM »
I got a few extra of these HM's built up. They work great. I'm still using my original but have built up some for sale to those without the DIY motivation for soldering electronics.

Tony from Marion, IA