Author Topic: Time to reach set temps?  (Read 4839 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Time to reach set temps?
« on: January 10, 2015, 07:58:05 PM »
My previous smoker was a propane unit and I was used to quicker start button to cooking temp reactions.  What are you guys with model 4's experiencing for reaching your program set points? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Time to reach set temps?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »
My second smoke with my Auber and both have taken around 1:45 to go from ambient to programmed temp. 

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
Dave,

How long does it take to reach temp when empty?  I am guessing it is just the meat in the smoker acting as a heat sink that is causing the delay.

Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:09:11 PM »
Nearly 2 hours to reach temp seems like a long time.   I have a #2 and it reaches the set temp usually within 1 hour.   This weekend I was smoking in 15F weather and I reached 225F within 1 hour; all I had in the smoker was 17 meatballs.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »
Dave,

How long does it take to reach temp when empty?  I am guessing it is just the meat in the smoker acting as a heat sink that is causing the delay.
BH,
Reason for posting the thread was to see if other model 4 owners experienced the type of temperature lags and to point out that this is very much a factor in determining ones smoke times. 

PhatterMike

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 09:29:32 PM »
Mine gets to 225 in about an hour, last week I did 12 slabs of baby backs (3 racks 4 slabs each), 5.5 hours, start to finish.. I'll watch it closer next time I cook & will let you know exactly how long it takes... Keep in mind that mine is usually starting at 60 - 80 degrees this time of year...
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 02:17:50 AM »
Mine gets to 225 in about an hour, last week I did 12 slabs of baby backs (3 racks 4 slabs each), 5.5 hours, start to finish.. I'll watch it closer next time I cook & will let you know exactly how long it takes... Keep in mind that mine is usually starting at 60 - 80 degrees this time of year...
How did you get 12 racks of baby back ribs on 3 shelves, did you use rib racks?
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.