Author Topic: Auber numbers  (Read 3713 times)

Mike

Auber numbers
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »
I just installed the permanent probe and did my first auto tune. I used the set up as shown in the instructions. I believe it went well, took about 2.5 hours
And the...At...stopped flashing
My question is what do the numbers really mean. When I went back into the set up these are the settings.
P=72, I=933, D=233. Is there a "norm". WSD-1200GPH PID. Took DM's advice and mounted the probe higher then under the top shelf.

#2 with water pan/water and two bricks. Foil and drip pan

Mike
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:04:15 PM by Mike »
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

BHamel

• Administrator
Re: Auber numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:28:02 PM »
We went to Auber to speak with the owner about our PID's and I needed to have a better understanding before I went.  After much research and reading I acquired a nominal understanding of the workings of a PID.  The following is from Wikipedia and is one of the easiest breakdowns that I've seen in regards to an explanation of the P the I and the D.

"These values can be interpreted in terms of time: P depends on the present error, I on the accumulation of past errors, and D is a prediction of future errors, based on current rate of change.  The weighted sum of these three actions is used to adjust the process via a control element such as the power supplied to a heating element.  By tuning the three parameters in the PID controller algorithm, the controller can provide control action designed for specific process requirements. The response of the controller can be described in terms of the responsiveness of the controller to an error, the degree to which the controller overshoots the setpoint, and the degree of system oscillation."

Hope that helps,

Ben
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

Mike

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »
Ben ,Thanks for the response, so from what I wrote, can I believe my set up is correct. 

Mike
#2 and Weber Char.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:14:11 PM »
Mike, your numbers are very close to mine, which are quite a bit different from the preset settings for the Bradley.  I believe the autotune is essential to getting the best performance with our smokers.  It "learns" how efficient they are, and makes it hold temp really tight.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
Thanks DM, I am so looking forward to my next smoke, with the permanent probe and Auber... For me my next project is a brisket. This is the main reason I got into this wonderful endeavor. I am so glad I purchased the smoker. My first smoker was a propane MB and it was truly a PITA, no joy...
Steve has been awesome to deal with from Smokin-it and has always answered any product question.
For the Admin's here on the forum...thank you, usually with in minutes you answer most if not all questions. This is by far my favorite site to be part of.

Mike
#2 and Weber Char.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »
I just love engineering talk and barbecue... It just couldn't get any better unless we added beer, bacon, and football in the same topic. 🐖🐷🏈🍻
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »
Hey Steve, I was eating bacon, and having a cold one, when I watched the Packers school the Falcons about Lambeau Magic on Monday!  Does that count?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »
And to Mike - Thank You!  We're glad to help! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas