Author Topic: Attempting first pastrami this weekend  (Read 7676 times)

jaka (Ken)

Re: Attempting first pastrami this weekend
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
SconnieQ thank you for the prompt and informative response. This is a great forum.
Ken Admire
Retired from Navy and also oil/gas industry.
Using #3D Smoker. Started with the 2D and
loved it but gave it to one of my sons when I
bought the larger 3D.

noak

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »
When I reheated my pastrami I used the steam method. I just boiled some water and put my metallic pasta strainer on top of the pot and covered it. That created plenty of steam to re-heat the pastrami and make it moist.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 03:22:21 AM »
This guy uses Ruhlman’s exact recipe for the cure and the rub (except for 6 days in the cure instead of 3, and a mustard coat before the rub), and a smoking technique that can easily translate to the SI. A really well-done video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3z1kcZfkEE

Also, if you have the ability to sous vide, you can low-temp smoke to an internal meat temperature of 150 or so, then vac seal and sous vide at 143.6F (62C) for 72 hours.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:31:34 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
I watched the video.  Saw that the cure was added to the brine and then boiled.
I thought heat deactivates the cure. So when making a brine with cure, it should be added after the cure is cooled.
Am I wrong?
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »
I watched the video.  Saw that the cure was added to the brine and then boiled.
I thought heat deactivates the cure. So when making a brine with cure, it should be added after the cure is cooled.
Am I wrong?

Yeah, I didn't notice that. I agree. I would definitely add the cure after the brine has cooled. That tiny bit of cure will dissolve in cool water just fine. Ruhlman also adds the cure before he boils the brine. There is some debate as to whether boiling affects the sodium nitrate/nitrite. I've not found a scientific answer to that, just opinions. But I think the generally accepted approach is to just be safe, and add the cure to the cooled brine. Also, for the final tenderizing cook, I prefer to add 1/2 cup liquid to a pan and cover tightly with foil, rather than just wrapping in foil, but I think both ways should work.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 08:27:15 PM »
I add cure to my brines while it is heating, and it has never "not worked," or been "deactivated."  I'm not sure who came up with that theory, but I don't believe it's a fact.  The meat has never failed to cure with #1 added to a warming brine.  Keep in mind, though, I don't heat my brines to a very high temp...just pretty much steep them to dissolve and blend the ingredients.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 10:43:48 PM »
I add prior as well, with great results. To dissolve the soluable spices, I use an instant hot water heater.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

JustChillin

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 07:44:20 AM »
Happy Saint Patrick's Day! After reading through this topic, I couldn't resist smoking two 3.5+- corned beef flats. They have been soaked in water for about 12 hours, rinsed & dried and rubbed with mustard/seasoning ( seasoning pack ground, pepper, smoked paprika & brown sugar ). They will be headed to the smoker for 3-4 hours @ 225 then wrapped in foil with some beer and back to the smoker until they reach 190-195. If ready, off to the cooler until dinner time. Thanks to all for the great suggestions. IMO, this forum is what makes SI smokers great.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »
Great minds think alike. I just finished a couple of pastramis using Meatheads recipe that is like Katz in NYC. SconnieQ is right, primarily pepper and coriander. See the attached for recipe and method. Plus a couple of pictures to prove I did it......  :) Turned out great! I used it for sandwiches at work. I know it's supposed to be steamed and all of that but straight up with mustard works too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:34:17 PM by BedouinBob »
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 01:01:40 AM »
Very nice work!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

JustChillin

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:01 AM »
Bob those look great! Mine turned out wonderful but I took them out of the cooler to slice when everyone was ready to eat and didn't get a chance for photos. Reubens today and I might even do some hash for breakfast.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
David, pastrami hash? Yum! What's your recipe?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 06:14:16 PM »
Looks great, Bob!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jimeo

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 09:59:16 AM »
With all the cheap corned beef around had to try for myself.  Super easy and super good, even better after a few days in the fridge.  Great Ruben! Great pastrami and American omelette! Thanks for the inspiration fellas...
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 10:32:46 PM »
Great looking pastrami noak and Jim. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066