Author Topic: need help on smoking pork belly  (Read 5583 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

need help on smoking pork belly
« on: August 24, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »
I think I've read most of the pork belly posts but am hot smoking my first pork belly this afternoon (2 lb 7/8 oz.) and need help with the following:

How much wood?  I'm thinking about 3oz. cherry or a mix of cherry and hickory.

Do I cut the wood in chunks, strips, ?

To remove or leave the rind (skin) on?

I plan to cool it after smoking and place in the frig. overnight, and then reverse sear on the grill Sat.  So should I remove the belly from the smoker at 165 or less since I'll be searing it on the grill later?

Do I set my 2D for 225?

Sue
Cedar Point, NC

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: need help on smoking pork belly
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
Hi Sue, I would do it the same as doing bacon. If you want light smoke use the 3 oz. If you want a little more, use 4 oz. I smoke bacon at 200 and did a fresh pork belly recently that way too with good result. Do it rind on as it will be easier to take off after smoke. Only take it to 150 deg IT and it is fully cooked. The reverse sear will crisp it up nicely. But so that after taking the skin off so it crisps that side too. With respect to the wood, since the temp is low, the chips will work better so split your chunks as small as possible. Post your results. We all live vicariously here!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 03:09:44 PM »
I'm not getting the reason for the reverse searing. Can you enlighten?

I cold-smoke most of my bacon or sometimes do more of a warm smoke. So, the hot smoke to 150-165 is new to me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »
Not sure she's making bacon, Gregg... post wasn't clear.  But, I took it as she's smoking a fresh pork belly, without curing.  May be wrong, though...  Can you clarify, Sue?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »
Here is one I did today for tacos. 7 day cure with savory flavors (rosemary, garlic, pepper), 6 hour cold smoke, 2 hour hot smoke (pecan), 1 hour braise in white wine, chicken stock, mushrooms, rosemary, garlic & pepper @ 400 then 5 hours @ 225 followed by a hard sear in the griddle. It was chopped and served on a flour tortilla with a quick pickle of chopped brussel sprouts, onions & seranno pepper.

Lost focus after that last picture & forgot the money shot. Hands were too full of tacos.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 01:27:39 AM »
I depends on what you are doing with the pork belly, but if you want really succulent, melt in your mouth, thick slices or chunks (not bacon), the low/slow braise after smoking is the way to go. Unlike bacon where you smoke to 150, then crisp relatively thin slices, larger pieces need to go through a tenderization process like pork butt. Walt's method looks pretty good to me. You can slice or chop however you want in the end. When I make pork belly for asian pork belly buns, I refrigerate the braised pork. (It's too tender to even try to cut right after cooking.) Then I cut the cold belly into 1/2 in slabs, and reheat by warming the slabs in some of the braising liquid. You can also crisp on a grill, or in a cast iron pan depending on how you are serving it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:34:55 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:59:35 PM »
Not sure she's making bacon, Gregg... post wasn't clear.  But, I took it as she's smoking a fresh pork belly, without curing.  May be wrong, though...  Can you clarify, Sue?

Looking back on the post you may be right. I didn't catch that possibility.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:26:31 PM »
Walt, that looks great!  Nice job! 

Hope the flooding didn't affect you, brother!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 06:12:25 PM »

No, I smoked the pork belly using the Project Smoke recipe for Barbecued Pork Belly.  No pictures yet as I will sear it on the grill tomorrow (Sat.), and it is resting in the frig now.  The result was so good that my husband and I wanted to dig in right away but we're inviting our neighbor for dinner tomorrow so we restrained ourselves, other than several small bites!  Here are the details:

I took the 2 7/8 lb pork belly out of the frig about 2 hrs. before smoking, cut the rind off and applied the rub (from the recipe) on all sides.  I used 2 pieces of cherry wood weighing a total of 2 7/8 oz. and set the 2D at 220 degrees and the probe at 160 F.  I  wasn't sure about the placement of the probe but attempted to find a spot away from the fat.  I started the smoker at 1:10pm, but in a little over an hour, the smoker beeped.  I knew it had to be the placement of the probe, so I placed it in a different position; restarted the smoker; and reset the probe to 165 F.  This time, all went well, and the smoker cut off at 4:40 pm.  I placed the pork belly on a wire rack and let it cool to room temperature, then put it in a plastic storage bag and refrigerated.  Supposedly, it will taste even better if refrigerated overnight.  I'll let you know.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 06:27:03 PM »
I depends on what you are doing with the pork belly, but if you want really succulent, melt in your mouth, thick slices or chunks (not bacon), the low/slow braise after smoking is the way to go. Unlike bacon where you smoke to 150, then crisp relatively thin slices, larger pieces need to go through a tenderization process like pork butt. Walt's method looks pretty good to me. You can slice or chop however you want in the end. When I make pork belly for asian pork belly buns, I refrigerate the braised pork. (It's too tender to even try to cut right after cooking.) Then I cut the cold belly into 1/2 in slabs, and reheat by warming the slabs in some of the braising liquid. You can also crisp on a grill, or in a cast iron pan depending on how you are serving it.

Crisping on the grill is what I intend to do tomorrow night.  Along with the pork belly, I'm fixing 2 sides I've never done before:  Asian-style green beans with Szechuan sauce and a slaw like salad combined with tart apple slices and blue cheese crumbles.  Wish me luck!
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »
Looking forward to the pictures, and review, Sue! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 10:47:25 AM »
Looking forward to the pictures, and review, Sue! :P

Here are the pictures of my pork belly along with Szechuan green beans and slaw with apple slices and blue cheese crumbles.  After I seared the green beans in a hot frying pan and added the sauce, I mixed a small amount of the sauce in my slaw.  Then, I seared the pork belly in the frying pan mixed with the Szechuan sauce.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 09:20:56 PM »
Looks fantastic, Sue!  Thanks for the pics!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 06:57:22 PM »
Looks fantastic, Sue!  Thanks for the pics!

Next time, I will brine overnight first although the recipe I followed did not call for it.  I think all pork is better if brined before smoking.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 07:15:07 PM »
You may not have noticed, Sue, but I think brining is a great idea! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas