Author Topic: Condensation behind the cover on the PID CONTROLLER  (Read 4400 times)

Golfer1659

Condensation behind the cover on the PID CONTROLLER
« on: August 23, 2016, 12:37:40 AM »
So I don't if it's just me but I can't win with this unit, I've managed to make great bbq by giving what the unit gives me at the time but it just seems like it's deteriorating with more and more use.

I am super anal about how I store my unit and keep it clean and follow all instructions to a T.

The last cook, I noticed concensation droplets inside the PID controller where the numbers were.  Obviously afterwards it went away but the machine has been acting up not keeping temps or going way over.  It's just been back and forth and makes me think I made a huge mistake buying this and maybe I should just could my loses and move on......
Kyle
Smokin it 3D
First smoker ever and here to learn!!!

Durangosmoker

Re: Condensation behind the cover on the PID CONTROLLER
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 05:22:33 PM »
Call Steve the owner and tell him what's going on. You should still be under warranty, yes?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »
First I've heard of that, Kyle!  I have a 2D & 3D, and they live on a covered porch.  I do have rubber plugs in the meat probe port, to keep bugs and moisture out.  The bottom of the controller is solid steel, so the only way there could be moisture in the controller is if the seal is not intact or you've gotten water in the meat port.

The easiest way to fix this is remove the controller screws, and dry it out!  Not sure how it got moisture inside, and like I've said, I've never heard of this.  Unscrew the controller, and take a hair dryer to it to thoroughly dry it out, check the gasket and reinstall.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

PNW Smoker

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:58:55 AM »
I noticed the same thing. I will take a picture tomorrow and post.
Andrew from Olympic Peninsula, Washington
SI #3D
Weber S-420 Grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »
I noticed the same thing. I will take a picture tomorrow and post.

Please do!  Maybe it's something that happens in particularly humid environments, I don't know.  But, if it's a problem with others, it's something we need to find a cause and fix for!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

rettaps

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »
fix it, i just bought a 3D and i don't want the PID to go bad, :)
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 05:47:40 PM »
First I've heard of that, Kyle!  I have a 2D & 3D, and they live on a covered porch.  I do have rubber plugs in the meat probe port, to keep bugs and moisture out.  The bottom of the controller is solid steel, so the only way there could be moisture in the controller is if the seal is not intact or you've gotten water in the meat port.

The easiest way to fix this is remove the controller screws, and dry it out!  Not sure how it got moisture inside, and like I've said, I've never heard of this.  Unscrew the controller, and take a hair dryer to it to thoroughly dry it out, check the gasket and reinstall.

I think you may have mentioned this previously but I can't find it.  Where did you get your rubber plug that also covers the port during rain.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

JackT

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:44:35 AM »
I've owned my 3D since the beginning of January. While I do have a covered patio, I do not cover my 3D the majority of the time (it does not get directly rained on). Not once have I experienced the condensation issue mentioned here, but am curious of the cause. My location near St. Louis gets plenty of humidity, rain and high and low temps, so condensation could be an issue, but so far has not. PNW Smoker said he'd post a pic or two, please do. Probably something that can be solved.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »
I think you may have mentioned this previously but I can't find it.  Where did you get your rubber plug that also covers the port during rain.

Allied Electronics Jack Cover

Pretty cheap insurance against internal moisture, and they hold up great!
Tony from NW Arkansas

ibbones

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »

Wow!!!  Under $2.00 but almost $12.00 to ship?  Unless I want to drive to Ft. Worth, Texas to pick it up.
Could they not just drop it in an envelope and mail it? ???
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Durangosmoker

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »
Maybe Steve would buy a large batch and resell them on the smokin-it website with more moderate shipping fees.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »

Wow!!!  Under $2.00 but almost $12.00 to ship?  Unless I want to drive to Ft. Worth, Texas to pick it up.
Could they not just drop it in an envelope and mail it? ???

Wasn't that much when I bought them (bought 2 of them).  I bet if you call them, they would send a small, non-fragile, item US Mail.  They seem like pretty good folks.  OR, you could print off the pic and find it at your local electronic shop.   ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas