Author Topic: Celery product vs tender quick for faux smoke ring  (Read 3366 times)

curegeorg

Celery product vs tender quick for faux smoke ring
« on: August 20, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »
I see some of you using tender quick for faux smoke rings.  Has anyone tried celery powders?  Celery powders are naturally high in nitrate and used similarly to curing salts. 

I was thinking of putting it in my rub and cooking it rather than TQ and rinse. 

My wife is weird about food and doesn't like artificial stuff.  Don't want to open the debate on the facts about nitrates, etc.  I know..  Lol.  I also don't want to hear her complaining, so thought this would be a compromise to get the smoke ring for presentation purposes.
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber

Glock_21

Re: Celery product vs tender quick for faux smoke ring
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »

Never tied the celery powders.

I would just like to figure out why we (myself included) are so obsessed with faux smoke rings in the first place.   ;D ;D

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »
I would just like to figure out why we (myself included) are so obsessed with faux smoke rings in the first place.   ;D ;D

Easy answer:  Eye candy!  The food experience is so visual!  If you look at something, and it doesn't have eye-appeal, your brain immediately decides it will NOT taste good (even if it does).  We have seen that gorgeous pink ring around smoked meat all of our lives, so when it's not there, our brains tell us it isn't really BBQ.  Even though we know it doesn't change the taste, it just makes the presentation so much more appealing!

I'll be interested to see what you discover with the celery powder, Coolio!  Although nitrites/nitrates are not "artificial," I understand your need to put your wife at ease.  Many commercial producers use celery powder to "fool" the consumer that their product is "all natural," but the simple fact is that it's a marketing gimmick, nothing more.  Nitrates are nitrates, no matter what form they're in! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

curegeorg

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 09:36:30 PM »
Putting the smoke ring is easier than explaining what it actually is and is not.  Your average person sees the smoke ring and thinks good barbecue so it's one step towards a good experience. 

Competition they aren't even supposed to score for it, but it's a psychological thing to most.  Like being nicer to a pretty lady than a fat man... 

I'll do some and see what happens I guess. 
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber

curegeorg

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 03:21:37 PM »
From what I have read, celery products are typically used more in the curing process.  The processes using celery are apparently trade secrets because there isn't much info on it.  The levels can vary greatly and it is unpredictable - not what I want in what can be a dangerous item.  Seems too risky for me to experiment with blindly, nor am I looking for celery flavored meat (LOL), so this goes to the way back burner until someone with more time cracks it.
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber