Author Topic: RTIC Coolers  (Read 32411 times)

es1025

Re: RTIC Coolers
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
We did a test on the tumblers for yeti, rtic, and ozark trail. Based on the temperature test, ozark trail was the best bang for your money. Less than 1-2 degree difference over a five hour timeframe. Ozark was the cheapest and the coldest over the five hours.

Not saying you should not buy the rtic product, but i thought i would share some information.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2016, 12:52:40 PM »
Just received my rtic 20 hard cooler but unfortunately as I was walking out the door for work and won't be back for a couple days.
It says the rtic 20 will hold 5 more pounds of ice than the yeti.
Greg how many drinks are you looking to hold plus ice?
I can check it when I get back.

That is a great question and something that I have been debating. I would want to hold at least a case of cans/bottles and maybe more. That is why I am thinking that I might start with the 45, so I can hold a case and a half of cans and then decide if I want a 20 for run and go situations where I would not need as big of a cooler later. Or maybe get the 20 first and the 45 later.

I really need to go look at some YETI's to get a visual of how big they are.

The other thing that throws me off is that the RTIC 20 says it will hold 24 cans plus ice, whereas the YETI says it holds 14 cans with recommended 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio. The RTIC is the same width as the comparable YETI Roadie and is a fraction of an inch taller and longer. So, I am just curious how the RTIC can claim that it can hold 10 more cans than the YETI but only be a fraction of the size bigger. The only conclusions that I can come to are that RTIC is not including as much ice (YETI says 2:1 ratio) or the RTIC cooler walls are not as thick. I can see the less than an inch size difference adding a few cans, but 10?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
That that sounds like a lot and I will put 24 cans in mine tomorrow and report back with pics. Another thing to consider on these coolers are the weight!!!
Rtic 20 17.50 lb
Rtic 45 25 lb
Rtic 65 36.50 lb
That's empty weight and they have rubber feet on bottom which is good for not sliding around. A loaded 65 in the back of the truck will not slide at all you have to pick up to move.
One thing bout rtic and yeti that they are well built coolers. (But yeti is over priced)
John ohio locomotive engineer
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »
If you want to hold a full case with enough ice, get the 45.  Trust me!

But go look in person:)
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »
Well no time for pics with beer in it but I did see how many Busch lights would fit.
30 Busch lights!!!!!!! And leaves 1 1/4 ta 1 1/2 space between the cans and the lid. So I see where they get the 24 cans. With a pre chilled cooler (frozen gallon of water in it) and put cold cans in it.
It should stay cold for a long time.
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2016, 07:55:43 PM »
(frozen gallon of water in it)

Isn't that a gallon of ice? ;) ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2016, 09:39:01 PM »
Lol ya got me!!!!
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2016, 07:10:53 PM »
I looked at some YETI's of similar size to the 20 and 45, and am thinking that the 45 will be my first RTIC cooler. I may get a 20 down the road as well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2016, 12:28:43 PM »
Just recieved my RTIC 65. I still have not tried out other coolers yet but the can and the mug I use a lot and love them.
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »
I really like the price of the RTIC coolers, but I wanted a cooler that fit between their 20 and 45, so I ended up buying a Yeti 35.

I did order the Softpak 40 and still waiting for it to arrive. The cost was $149.00 vs the Hopper 40 from Yeti at $399.00.

Greg

Walt

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »
I purchased a couple of the igloo sportsman series (yeti knockoff) from SAMS a couple years ago. I have the 20qt & 55qt versions. I was curious if these RTIC models were more cost effective. Seems like it depends on the model.
           RTIC             IGLOO Sportsman
20qt   $124.99       99.98
45qt   $174.99        N/A
55qt    N\A             199.98
65qt   $199.99        N/A

Food for thought... The RTIC 65 looks like a real good price. While picking up your next brisket check out the IGLOO Sportsman 20, its substantially less than the RTIC 20.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2016, 07:19:28 PM »
I looked at the igloo at sams club and then when I looked them up on the web I didn't like what I read on the reviews on Amazon. Insulation is missing in spots on some of there sportsman coolers (the 55 anyways) doing the flash light test.   
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

Walt

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »
I haven't had any issues but I will give that flashlight test a try. I have had the 55qt in the back of my truck for a couple years now and the 20 in my wife's SUV. No complaints.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Hertz

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »
I've had the 20 for almost two months now, and I love it. I use it in my Jeep on the weekends, or just around the house in the yard, and during the weeks it is my lunchbox in my service truck. No complaints at all.  8)
Herb -- Washington State