Author Topic: How to get a Smokin-it model 3 to Canada  (Read 10247 times)

SmokinJack

How to get a Smokin-it model 3 to Canada
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:06:03 PM »
Like to buy a model 3, but I live in Canada.  Is there an easy way to get the unit in the US so that no duty is paid.  Has anyone in Canada picked up their smoker in the US.

Thanks

Canadian Fizz

Re: How to get a Smokin-it model 3 to Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I will be buying a #3 in spring. No use buying now it's almost winter here.
I'm new to smoking and am looking forward to starting. Another question. Does anybody have measurements of the #3? I want to build a custom stand and I need measurements of the bottom and caster spacing. I emailed Smokin' it  but have got no reply so I was hoping somebody here can help me.

Thanks
A new smoker
Fizz

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
Might want to PM Spresso or Smokester - they're both from the Great White North, so they can probably help.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rharbour

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Smokin jack I live in Manitoba , and just got it shipped to border services in dunseith North Dakota , it will cost you 10 bucks for the guy to hold your parcel , then you go down and pick it up, it cost 80 dollars in taxes .
Rob from Manitoba , Canada
Proud owner of the smokin-it #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:23:07 PM »
Thanks, Rob - forgot you in my list of northern members!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »
SmokinJack, welcome to the club.

I'm from the Toronto area and have been researching different brands of smokers for a few months and I was always attracted to the "Smokin It" brand.  I have relatives in the Akron Ohio area and visit them often, especially for the US Thanksgiving, however I couldn't wait until November so I make a trip to Ohio in early August to visit family and pick up my #3.  Since Steve is located in Akron about 10 mins from where I was staying, it worked out really well because I didn't have to pay shipping and since I crossed for more than 48 hours, it was duty free.  Considering the dollar is close to par, it was a sweet deal, so sweet that I picked up two units (one for a friend) and all the accessories for both units.

I calculated the cost to ship to Canada, plus the duties and taxes and it pretty much will double the price of the unit.  Depending on where you are located, you can ship to a border service that accepts parcels and holds them for you for pick up.  Since they are on the US side of the border, shipping charges are much lower and they will hold for a long period if you can't make it right away.  In Niagara Falls US, there is a company called CBI USA ( http://www.cbiusa.com/ ) that will charge $5.95 per parcel plus $5 surcharge if it is oversized.  Once you cross the border, if you stay for 48 hours, you can bring it back duty free.  The way I look at it, shipping alone is about $300 to Canada, that cost savings will cover the price of a hotel for two nights (if you don't have family in the US) and you get a mini stay out of it and you can support our American friend's economy.  If you don't want to book a hotel, then the duties and taxes are about $100 - $150.

In terms of measurements, there are posted in the FAQ section of the smokin it site (The inside dimensions are 15" x 20 x 22" with a total weight of 135 pounds. The outside dimensions are 17" x 28" x 29-1/4").

This weekend is our Thankgiving so I plan on putting a Turkey in the smoker, then in November I am going back to Ohio for the American Thanksgiving (can't have enough of that Turkey) and I will be picking up some more accessories.  When I picked up the two #3's I had 5 people in the van and I managed to squeeze two of these in, however they are big units and I had to take them out of the box and discard the packaging just to get them in.  If you are only picking up one unit, then it shouldn't be a problem.

As for your choice, the Smokin It brand is great, you will be very happy with your purchase and the #3 is a great choice, the size is perfect and for the price, it is half the price (if not more) than the competition.  Good luck and enjoy.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:19:14 AM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

SmokinJack

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 07:55:43 PM »
Thank you all for your help!

I'm Toronto and I just got an e-mail for the Smokin-it company.  They are located in Akron Ohio which is great for me as we are going on vacation in March.  We are planning a trip to Sanduskey and will add a special trip to pick up my smoker.  The total cost to have it delivered to Canada is way to much and it's cheaper to stay two night in the US than having it shipped.

My problem now is waiting until then...

Thanks,   Jack

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:41:58 PM »
Hey Toronto Tony - that's some good info for all your brothers and sisters from the Great White North!  Sounds like you have the plan down for getting smokers into Canada!  I'm sure your unwrapped #3s made the trip a lot better than that guy from California's unwrapped #3 he returned by FedEx!  ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 10:36:06 PM »
Smuggling smokers in Canada, EH!  That's epic.  We have to do our best to get these units into our market in the Great White North by spreading the word. 

SmokinJack: Sandusky is about 80 minutes from Akron and lots to do will you are down there.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:05:39 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »
That's too funny, Tony!  I almost used the "EH' in my post!  Big Bob and Doug McKenzie fan!  ;D Good day, EH!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 11:09:58 PM »
Yeah, I remember that movie EH! Strange Brew....classic low budget film.  That takes me back.

What can I say, we love our beer.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Canadian Fizz

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 05:56:22 PM »
My problem is I live 2 1/2 hours from the US border so getting it shipped to a broker for me is not an option.
Can anybody think of a reasonably cheep way to have a #3 shipped to Regina Saskatchewan? Also anybody want to venture a guess as to what the cost of shipping might be?

Thanks
Fizz

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
If I remember correctly, the shipping costs to Canada are about $300, but I can't confirm if that includes duty and taxes?  I would recommend you contact Steve from Smokin It to get a price before you order it.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It