Author Topic: "Texas-Style" brisket (sort of)  (Read 13033 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
"Texas-Style" brisket (sort of)
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »
Smoking a 12 lb packer cut, Angus Prime, brisket today.  Started last night with injection:

1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire
2 tblsp crystal hot sauce
2 tblsp demerara sugar
1 tblsp salt
1/3 cup Foster's beer 

Trimmed the fat cap down to around 1/4" and scored it for seasoning/smoke penetration.  Rubbed it down with Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning, and left it to relax and get happy in the fridge overnight.

I call this "Texas Style" because Baldridge Secret Seasoning is the closest think I've ever found to the taste you get at the small West Texas steakhouses, so I'm calling this "Texas Style!" 

9 hours into the smoke, and sitting at 195.  Plan to pull it out at 200 for a foil wrap and rest (1-2 hours).  The halves are looking great!  I'll get some pics of the finished briskie, but here's what it looked like after resting in the fridge (at 5:30 am):
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

Re: "Texas-Style" brisket (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
Hit 200 about 9:15 into the cook (@225).  Cutting the 12 lb brisket in half reduces the cook time, at least I've found, due to the size.  So, 1 1/2 hours per pound, for 2 6 lb chunks, I guess is about right. 

Double-foil wrapped, and they're now resting peacefully in the cooler with a heavy towel on top.  I'll let them rest for at least an hour, but probably 2 (depending on how long the family can hold out)! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
Looking forward to the pics of the finished brisket.  I have a packer brisket in the freezer and waiting for an opportunity to smoke it.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »
Getting close...gonna unwrap in about 10 minutes!  I wait with anxious anticipation! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 06:43:21 PM »
Another Smokin-It success!  I always feel like I'm bragging, but this little beauty never fails to turn out good Q, despite "me!"  Pulled the briskie out of the foil after a 2-hour rest in the cooler.  Very moist and tender.  This is the first time I used Baldridge's Secret Seasoning on a brisket, but wow!  Great looking bark, and the taste was just as I anticipated.  If you haven't tried this seasoning, you owe it to yourself to try it!  I have a post on it in the "Rubs" section.

Here's the pics!  Sorry the one on the plate is a little blurry - I was shaking with hunger! ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:07:58 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »
That there is a nice lookin brisket.   I have got to get a brisket in the smoker real soon.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Thanks, Tony!  In my pre-Smokin-It days, I was always a little afraid of brisket - too many horror stories.  Nothing worse than a tough brisket!  Now that I have a Smokin-It, I'm no longer afraid of one of the toughest meats to smoke!  I haven't had a failure yet!  Amazing how good these things work. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

BIG BOB

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
looks great Divot.... I am a little too busy right now for a long smoke, my next will be either a brisket or a couple butts.

QUESTION: Where in Indiana can a guy get a GOOD Brisket?

Sam's Clubs ?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
Hit 200 about 9:15 into the cook (@225).  Cutting the 12 lb brisket in half reduces the cook time, at least I've found, due to the size.  So, 1 1/2 hours per pound, for 2 6 lb chunks, I guess is about right.

Hey there, when you say that you cut the brisket "in half," how exactly did you do that?  Did you separate the point from the flat, or did you just cut it down the middle?

Also, did you notice one half of the brisket being ready ahead of the other?

Thanks,

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:13:36 PM »
looks great Divot.... I am a little too busy right now for a long smoke, my next will be either a brisket or a couple butts.

QUESTION: Where in Indiana can a guy get a GOOD Brisket?

Sam's Clubs ?

I get my meat at Sam's Club here.  The briskets are Angus Prime, so they're pretty good quality!  I bet your Sam's Clubs there have good meat departments, too.  I find all kinds of cuts there that I'd have to go to the butcher shop for -- at a much better price.  Rarely disappointed with the quality of the cuts.
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »
Hey there, when you say that you cut the brisket "in half," how exactly did you do that?  Did you separate the point from the flat, or did you just cut it down the middle?

Also, did you notice one half of the brisket being ready ahead of the other?

Thanks,

- Phil

Phil, I just cut a portion of the flat off so it will fit the 12"x13" shelf of the #1.  Not ideal, but seems to work.  I keep the deckle and flat together on the other end, and put that one on the lower shelf.  The cutoff flat, on the top shelf, does get a little more done than the big half, but not enough to ruin it.  The bulk of the meat is in the bigger half.  If anyone has a suggestion on a better way to cram 2 gallons in a 1 gallon bucket, I'm all ears! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Etex

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »
Divot, it's not bragging if you can do it.

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »
Thanks, Tex!  I always feel a little guilty 'cause it's just so easy to make really good Q in these things! 
Tony from NW Arkansas