Author Topic: first smoke update all done now  (Read 9743 times)

bighoss

first smoke update all done now
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
]i was able to get the ribs and the shoulder in it every thing went it at 7 am and took the ribs out at 12 so tinder so juicy the thiner side of the ribs were more tender than the bigger side so what can be done bout the bigger side not being as tinder i  and i will update agen after the shoulder comes out rite now it is stalled at 167
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:28:29 PM by bighoss »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: first smoke update 1
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
Looks mighty tastey, Hoss!  It's lunchtime, and that picture's killing me! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bighoss

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
lol thanks i will post a pic of the shoulder when i comes off

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »
Generally, if I noticed that certain side of the rack of ribs is thinner than the other, I will either trim some of the meat off of the thicker side or separate the thinner side of the rack and smoke the two pieces separately.  This will allow me to remove the piece that may be cooked sooner.  It really is trial and error and the longer it cooks the more tender it gets.  Just be sure not to overcook.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

bighoss

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »
ok i am think bout making some hooks to hang them next time but over all they are some of the best ribs i have had better than the ones you get from ppl that cook all time and sell on the side of the road i think if i made hooks i  could do like 3 slabs of ribs and a small butt but if i just did ribs i think i could get like 8 or 10 half slabs in there

bighoss

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:59:31 PM »
well the shoulder stalled at 165 167 for about 2 and half 3 hrs and i think it just broke its up to 169

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
Be patient with the stall as this is normal for pork shoulders.  You also have the option to foil to shorten the stall, but that approach will soften the bark.  Good luck and post some pics.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

bighoss

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
i will post pics when its done it just now up to 176 i am hoping it will be done by 7 at 7 it will have been in there for 12 hours and 4 min

bighoss

Re: first smoke update all done now
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »
the shoulder was on for 12 hours i took it out at 182 as the family was hungry let sit for 5 min and then pulled it all though it is really tender and juicy the bone did not slide out that easy so next time i know to start it eailer and let it go till it hit 200 205 i just in a hurry and was wanting to eat  but it is so so good i think next i will go with the boston butt and not the shoulder as this one has a good amount of fat

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »
Ah...that may explain the long cook, Hoss.  I thought you were doing a Boston butt.  You probably had a "picnic" cut (the higher part of the leg, which is actually a little tougher meat).  Funny thing about pork butts....kind of unpredictable!  I've cooked ones that have taken at least 1 1/2 hours per pound, and ones that took barely an hour per pound!  You just can't see inside that piece of meat and look at the tenderness and fat! 

In the future, if you start one early and it gets done before you're ready to eat, just leave it in the smoker after it hits 200 at a setting of 140.  It will "rest" in the smoker until you're ready, but the cooking process will stop.  I've done this many times with no adverse effects. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

bighoss

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »
Ya that is true but I can't compline cause I got it for 1.99 a pound meat here in central Florida is kinda pricey if you don't get it on sale

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
I understand, Hoss!  Great price, and I bet it tasted great!  Sometimes we just have to learn from the cuts we get - it'll prepare us for the next time! :)   Sure looked good!
Tony from NW Arkansas

bighoss

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »
Thanks

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
Hey Bighoss, great looking pulled pork.  My last pork butt was 10 lbs and it was in the smoker for 22 hours to reach 195.  I then wrapped in foil, towels and put it in a cooler to rest for 2 hours.  Turned out great, but a longer cook than expected.  DMV is right, these things can be unpredictable.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

BIG BOB

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 07:27:45 AM »
well done Bighoss,  I have learned something new on every smoke as well as with others' posts about their smokes!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.