Author Topic: first smoke  (Read 7571 times)

bighoss

first smoke
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »
my model 1 came today so i seasoned it after it came so tomorrow i am going to some ribs and a small pork shoulder iam going to use apple wood i was think that maybe 3 or 4 oz of wood would be good and the apple wood i got is chips

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: first smoke
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
Bighoss:  Good luck with your first smoke. 

I primarily use 2 - 2.5 oz of apple wood chips for smoking ribs.  I find that anything more than that is too much for my taste.  I have tried the 2-2-1 & 3-2-1 methods and the results were ok, but not fall off the bone.  Last night I smoked a rack of back ribs and took Joe's approach of leaving them in the smoker for 5 hours with little interruptions.  I have to say, they were they best ribs so far, nice bark, yet moist, tender and juicy on the inside.  Look for my post in the pork section as I will post with pics tonight.

For the pork shoulder, it really depends on the size as smaller pieces I would use 3 - 4 oz and larger pieces 5 - 6 oz.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:55:07 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »
Congrats on your new arrival, Bighoss!  Happy times ahead!  Smokester is spot-in about the wood.  My only recommendation would be to maybe do separate (first) smokes on those two very different meats.  Also, did you get the chip screen?  If not, you need to find some chunk wood (or use the hickory dowels until you get some); chips won't work in the #1 smoke box without the screen.  If you have the screen, be sure to soak the chips before your cook.

I'm a big fan of chunk wood - it smoulders instead of burning, and is much more consistent.  Check out the "What wood do you use?" section for lots of tips on wood!

Good luck on the inaugural smoke, and let us know how it goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bighoss

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:56:35 PM »
ok so i should do them seperate then and not togather but could i do them togather if i need to

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Yes, Hoss, you can certainly do them together.  I was just suggesting that because it's your first cook, and the real estate in our #1's is kind of limited.  You might want to consider getting to know your new friend with one type of cook at first, just so you can see how it performs on short or long smokes.  The shoulder will take quite a bit more time than the ribs, and both at the same time will really increase the cook time.  Also, for something like a pork butt, you want good airspace around it for smoke & heat penetration (and evenness).  Not trying to rain on your parade, by any means, just making a suggestion. :)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

bighoss

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »
ok thanks for the info i will fig it out in the morn but if i do deside to do them at the same time how long do you think it will take

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
What does the shoulder weigh, and what kind of/how many ribs?
Tony from NW Arkansas

bighoss

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28:31 PM »
st louis stlye ribs one slab and the shoulder is 6lbs

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »
OK.  You'll be hard-pressed to fit all that on 2 shelves in the #1.  When I do a rack of spares, I have to cut them in half and use 2 shelves.  The butt is going to take its own shelf.  At best, you'll fit the butt and 1/2 rack in there. 

The butt should take around 9 hours (@ 225, unwrapped the whole time).  The ribs take about 5 1/2 hours unwrapped @ 225.  The butt will probably "stall" around 160-170 degrees internal; just ride it out.  The stall is what happens when the fat and connective tissues break down, and the meat experiences "convective cooling," just like we do when we sweat.  The heat will dissipate in the meat, and it will hold the same temp for a long time (sometimes several hours).  Keep it in until it reaches 200-degrees, then remove and foil wrap to rest.  Put it in a cooler with a big towel over it, and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.  A lot of folks rest 'em for an hour or two, but you'll find the meat to be very moist and tender after 30 minutes.

Didn't mean to tell you how to build a watch when you just wanted to know what time it is, but "how long will it take?" usually is more complicated than just saying how long. ???
Tony from NW Arkansas

bighoss

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »
ok thanks for the help i will let you know how it turns out tomorrow how can i tell when the ribs are done i have read that when you pick them up with tongs if the meat cracks they are done is that rite

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 10:46:24 PM »
Old Sarge had a great tip that I use now - stick a toothpick in between the bone and meat to feel the pull away.  You can feel how tender the meat is, and how cleanly it pulls away from the bone.  Works like a charm!  You're also right about the tong test.  Good luck with it tomorrow!! ;D   I have to wait til Saturday for my next cook. :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas