Author Topic: to wrap or not to wrap  (Read 11220 times)

bighoss

to wrap or not to wrap
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
should you wrap with foil about half way through the cook time to keep the meat mosit or will it stay mosit with out being wraped as iam new to the electric smokers and do you need to put a water pan in to help keep the meat mosit or no and if you put meat on the bottom rack should you switch it with the one on the top rack about half way to keep froming being dry any info will help thanx

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: to wrap or not to wrap
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
Hi Bighoss,

Welcome to the site.

If you wrap the meat during the mid-point of your smoke, it will keep it moist, however it is also not necessary.  Wrapping the meat will also soften your bark, therefore it really depends on the results you are trying to achieve.  Even without wrapping, if you place a pan with some form of liquid at the bottom of the smoker, that will add moisture to the chamber which will help you achieve a moist finished product.

I would also recommend mentioning what type of meat you plan on smoking and place your thread in the specific sub-category on this site.  You will most likely receive more replies if placed in the appropriate sub-category.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »
Wrapping should not be necessary for moisture, but some recipes (like the 2-2-1 method for BB ribs) call for wrapping during the cook process.   When possible, I smoke in my #2 without wrapping.  Even with BB ribs, they come out nice just smoking for 5 hours without any wrapping.  I suggest trying different methods to see which works best for your taste.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
Big Hoss... I am new to electric smokers- all smokers really... I have smoked babybacks in my #2 USING THE 2-2-1 METHOD.... OUTSTANDING!!!! I am attempting spares this weekend, may go 3-2-1 just to feel comfortable, but a lot of guys on here don't touch ribs except for a spritz or two.  I am gonna try both ways eventually. All I know is that these guys really know what they are talking about and will not steer you wrong.    Enjoy!!!!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

bighoss

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
i just ordered a model 1 and i will try both ways when i get it

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
Big Hoss, I'm an advocate of unwrapped smokes.  Brisket, pork butt, spares, baby backs, pork loin ... all do an amazing job of staying moist without foiling and give you tremendous bark with this method.

• Spritzing is always an option, but the Miss Lilly's Flavor Savor is a great accessory and helps to keep the chamber environment moist.
  • Injections are my preferred method for larger meats (brisket, pork butt, etc.).
  • Brining is outstanding for any poultry and even pork loins.
  • Marinating also works and is best with thinner cuts.

I advise you to experiment with both unfoiled and foiled preps; I like the slightly increased smoke flavor and bark development but your mileage may vary.

Congrats on your Smokin-It #1 purchase and be sure to ask if you have any questions whatsoever.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

bighoss

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 05:35:43 PM »
ok so how offten should i add water what ever to the flavor savor and were should i put it if i have stuff on both racks

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »
Hey Bighoss, great advice from Joe (as usual).  I, too, have become a big convert to the unwrapped cooking method.  I think a lot of that was developed for the smokers that tend to dry meat out a lot more, so it was designed to counter that.  These units, especially with a water pan, just produce moist results; no wrapping necessary!  As for the water pan, you shouldn't need to refill it, even during a long smoke.  I use aluminum "mini loaf pans" and fill them about 1/2 full.  Never had one go dry.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
Big Hoss ... I'm a proponent of putting anything you'd be willing to drink in the Flavor Savor.  Beer (lagers and such) are very good, as is apple juice.  Since basting hams and the like with Coca-Cola is damn near a Southern tradition, I've tried that a time or two and it's tasty (but sticky).  I don't recommend acidic juices based on my experience but white wines work well.

Basically, I try to match the flavor profile of the desired final product to whatever liquid you have.  The flavor won't be pronounced so, in theory, you could use water just as easily ... but why miss a chance to impart flavor?
Joe from Houston, TX

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:52:19 PM »
Hey Joe:

You have captured my interest.  When you mentioned basting with Coca Cola, how and when do you apply it?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

bighoss

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
ok i will try but if i get the flavor saver were should i put it if i have stuff on both racks i know the loaf pann goes by the fire box and about how much meat can you stuff in the model i know like 22lbs but lets say a big brisket or 2 bostan butts
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:56:31 PM by bighoss »

UWFSAE

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:56:55 PM »
@Smokester:  Simply putting Coca-Cola in a spritz bottle is the best way but I supplemented it with a water pan on the grate with my old stick burner.

Growing up in Georgia, hams cooked in the oven got a regular basting of Coke and they were nothing short of a party in your mouth.  Admittedly, Coca-Cola is "mother's milk" in GA so it was a bit of a no-brainer.  You lose the acidity of Coke with the heat of smoking or baking so you're left with a slightly sweet flavor with amazing caramelization and a legitimate depth of flavor.

Even better, take some Coca-Cola and reduce it over low heat by 1/3 and then apply the reduced liquid with a basting brush.
Joe from Houston, TX

UWFSAE

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »
Big Hoss, I hang the Flavor Savor on the lowest rack near the smoke box.  It reduces through the cook and creates an amazingly humid smoking environment which keeps everything super moist.

The Flavor Savor hangs by two lips that fit over the grill spokes like shower curtain hooks.  It takes up very little space in the smoker and, most importantly, doesn't eat up your real estate for the meat.
Joe from Houston, TX

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 10:14:27 PM »
Thanks Joe:

I may just try both methods of spray and basting as I really like the caramelization that it will create.  Rather than reducing, I have coke syrup (concentrate) flavour that I could use to based. this stuff is thick like molasses which I can even use as a binding agent.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

bighoss

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 07:19:57 AM »
so how offten should you baste or sprtiz like a average of all the meats