Author Topic: The Briner  (Read 26852 times)

es1025

The Briner
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
All-

I saw this gadget on another smoking web site.  They were demoing the product.  It essentially a locking food grade bucket that can hold up to a 25# turkey for brining. 

I am not a proponent of uni-taskers but this one might make smoking poultry and brining in general a whole lot easier. No more wasting ziploc bags and putting weights on the food to keep submerged.

I am planning on purchasing this product very soon. 

The company has two sizes, the large measures 15.75" tall, 12.50" diameter hold 22 quarts of liquid, and a smaller model measures 10.5" tall, 8.75" diameter hold 8 quarts of liquid.

I figure for $30 for the large or the combo of large and small $45, not a bad deal.

http://www.thebriner.com/
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: The Briner
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:00:41 PM »
Ed, that is great!  I'll probably be ordering soon, too.  Very innovative idea, and I like the smaller size to fit in the fridge.  I wish the website gave more details on what's in their brine packages.  I'll probably just order a briner jr. without the pre-packaged brines.  Thanks for finding this!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

pigsmoke

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »
these seem kinda pricey for what they are, just a plastic jug? what am I missing here?

I brine my stuff in Tupperware. The wife has one of just about every size imaginable and I just pick the one that's closest to the size of my product.  I cover my product with brine and then close it up using the tight fitting lids that come with the container. I take it out of the ice box once or twice during the brining stage and either just shake it a little, or turn the meat over in the container. There isn't usually any problem with the meat needing to be "anchored" down to keep it under the brine. For brining a large turkey, you can get used pickle buckets from just about any restaurant. I don't know if I'd use a Home Depot plastic bucket for this, they probably aren't made of food safe plastic. If your gonna brine large hams, turkeys, etc on a regular basis, I'd go to a restaurant supply place and buy those big Lexan tubs. You can brine a mess of hams or turkeys at once in those things.

McSev2010

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-RFS6PPSW2190-6-Quart-Food-Storage-Container/dp/B002PMV77G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1380932977&sr=8-5&keywords=brining+buckets

I bought 2 of these, 1 8 qt and 1 6qt, to use for brining since they came with lids. I haven't found anything yet that I brine that won't fit in them.

es1025

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:48:29 AM »
I ended up buying a food grade container from a restaurant supply store.  $20 including the lid.  Hopefully will be smoking a turkey breast very soon.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:58:37 PM »
Well gang, maybe I'm a sucker, but I ordered a briner jr.  I just couldn't get past the innovative design with the disc that holds the food down.  I'll let you know how it works when I get it, since I definitely plan on doing more brining! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 06:15:23 AM »
Tony
I am curious to see how much actually fits in the Jr.  I am still thinking about it. I am in the same boat the large capacity one is too big for the fridge. I figure the jr. needs to hold a 10# bird for me to consider.
Ed from Northern NJ

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
Looks interesting. As an alternative, and I use these myself, are ziplock bags. 

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/BigBags.aspx?SizeName=Large
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

es1025

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 06:07:12 AM »
Tony
The company got back to me.  The Jr. will fit a turkey breast but not a whole turkey. I guess those darn legs get in the way. I do like the product concept.  I may order.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
Mine's shipping tomorrow, so I'll be testing it next week!  I bet it will fit a small turkey, which is all that will fit in my #1. :-\
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »
I got my Briner Jr. last Friday, but haven't tried it yet.  I think it will fit a pork butt, chicken, or turkey breast.  I'll post a review when I try it out!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 07:52:21 PM »
Jury is IN!  I like the Briner Jr.!  I'm probably going to order the larger one, too.  I've brined a couple of pork butts, chickens, and currently have 9# of pork loin curing for Canadian bacon (a whole loin, sectioned into 4 pieces, fit just fine).  BTW, I cut the loin up in 4 pieces to aid in the curing process, not for fitment.  The whole loin could have been cut into 2 4 1/2# sections to fit in the Briner Jr.

I'll post a product review when able.  I find it to be sturdy, and the lid snaps on tight.  The disc locks in place to hold the food down, so you load the meat first, then fill with brine, then put the disc in to where the meat "floats" to - then add a little more brine.  This way, you create a fully-immersed chamber of brine that the meat can move in.  I like to give it a little wiggle, ever so often, to move the meat around (for multiple pieces).

The Jr. fits in the fridge well.  The big one may have to get a separate mini-fridge just for it.  That's how I'll justify another mini to the wife, at least.  ;D   We all know what it will be filled with when not occupied by the briner!  LOL  ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
Tony:

Thanks for the review. For a few reasons, we are not at home and couped up today. That said, I pulled the trigger on the Briner (bypassing the Jr and going right for the larger boy)!!!!

I did this based on your final note that says you like it, and that you'll eventually go for the Briner as well. I think I have the fridge space next to the key & CO2 tank in the basement based on their dimesions.

Thanks for the note on the Briner... and also indicating you'll ultimately have both!

Steve

PS - I've heard brining ribs are exceptional!
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
That should fit anything you'd want to brine, Steve!  And yes, brined ribs are excellent!  Used my Jr. last night on a 9 lb butt, which is in the smoker now!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »
Here it is and fits nice next to a quarter.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!