Author Topic: Smoked Hot & Sticky Wings  (Read 3559 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Smoked Hot & Sticky Wings
« on: August 17, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
So, last post until the Cowboys destroy the Cards today ... I brined 10lbs. of drumettes and flats in a Brine for Smoked Hot Wings for 16 hours in the refrigerator.  This morning, I removed them, gave them a thorough rinse and applied a binding agent of Crystal Hot Sauce and molasses, and then a Rub for Smoked Hot Wings.  2.25 hours at 250 over 2oz. of apple wood and 2 oz. of hickory and they were transferred to a large aluminum pan and covered in a "Sticky Heat" Hot Wing Sauce and put in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes.

Everyone who tried them thought they tasted good but rated a "medium" on the heat scale ... until a few minutes later.  Let's just say that this is a sneaky heat, one that sticks with you; apparently the molasses and brown sugar mask the hot sauce and cayenne for a little while.

Overall, this was a definite success.  The texture of the chicken was spot on and the smoke component really helped give some depth of flavor to balance the heat.  This is a keeper but next time I may try honey rather than molasses just to see if it also mutes the up-front heat.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:33:29 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Spresso

Re: Smoked Hot & Sticky Wings
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
that looks really nice...
did you smoke them on the stainless grills or on a pan?
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »
At least the chicken was hot...too bad your Cowboys weren't. ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »
@ Spresso:  I always smoke on the grill racks ... even if I want to reserve any drippings I just put a pan underneath them.  My thought is that using a foil pan with a small portion like a chicken wing flat or drum would block smoke penetration to 25-30% of the total surface area of the wing.

@ Divot:  Sigh ... I just keep telling myself, "It's only preseason ...".
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!