Author Topic: "Sticky Heat" Hot Wing Sauce - UPDATED  (Read 7464 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
"Sticky Heat" Hot Wing Sauce - UPDATED
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
This Sticky Heat Hot Wing Sauce I'm posting is designed to pair with the Brine for Smoked Hot Wings and the Rub for Smoked Hot Wings that I posted previously; the flavors should be complimentary and will help promote a nice crust during a two hour smoke over apple wood.  After that (weather permitting) they'll be finished on a hot grill after a toss in my Hot & Sticky Wing Sauce; if it rains, they'll take a quick trip under the broiler.

After letting it simmer (and perhaps reduce a bit too much) I decided to add 4 oz. of beer (Shiner Bock), more garlic, and a bit more of some other ingredients.  The proof will be in the pudding tomorrow after the sauce has "rested" overnight.

HOT WING SAUCE      
2 Cups Crystal Hot Sauce
1.5 Cups melted salted butter
2/3 Cup molasses
1/2 Cup dark brown sugar
1/2 Cup beer (Shiner Bock)
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
2 Tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tsp ground black pepper
1 Tsp white pepper

- Bring hot sauce and butter to a simmer and add brown sugar and dry spices; stir until sugar has dissolved.   
- Add molasses, stir for a minute or two, then remove from heat.   
- Smoked wings should be tossed in the sauce; a large bowl with a heavy ladle of sauce should do the trick.
- With the high sugar content of the sauce, wings should be grilled or broiled with medium heat to help caramelize the sauce.   
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:38:20 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!