Author Topic: Bourbon & Molasses Smoked Chuck Roast  (Read 6791 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Bourbon & Molasses Smoked Chuck Roast
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:35:34 PM »
I found a post on the LTB forum about smoked chuck roast and decided to give it a try ... Kroger had a great sale ($2.29/lb) so I couldn't resist.

I injected each using a simple mix of melted salted butter, worcestershire sauce, molasses, a few tablespoons of my beef rub, and a little Wild Turkey ... I cooked it down to about the thickness of steak sauce to burn off the alcohol and refrigerated overnight.

Today, I injected two cold 4+ lb. chuck roasts with a goodly amount of the marinade I made, then applied a thin layer of molasses to the outside and liberally applied my beef rub.  They went in the smoker with a 50/50 mix of pecan and cherry, and a Shiner Bock went in the hanging water pan.  I set the smoker for 215 and let it do it's thing.

Temps stayed stable but these roasts cooked much faster than I anticipated ... they hit the target temp of 150 in less than two hours.  They were removed and wrapped in HD tinfoil and then held for 45 minutes.  I started carving with very thin slices but had to keep swapping angles to cut against the grain of the meat ... the once I just broke down had at least four distinct grain changes.  The final product was ridiculously juicy ... the collected juices were added to the giant pile of sammich meat but it didn't even need it.

One stayed here and was sliced up and the remaining whole roast found a good home with some friends.  I'm serving this on some french bread for a different spin on French Dips.

The flavor was exactly where I hoped it would be ... molasses and bourbon will be in my rotation for a long time to come; I had some reserved marinade that I added a splash of balsamic vinegar to and it made a KILLER steak sauce.  If I had this to do over again I'd likely back the temp down a little more (205?) and add some sort of tenderizing agent to the injection.  While the meat that was safely against the grain was quite tasty, other bits give my jaws a workout.  I probably would also bust out the food slicer and cut it deli style as well.

Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Bourbon & Molasses Smoked Chuck Roast
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »
Nice, Joe - another roast recipe!  Sounds like some great flavorings to this one.  I found the 200-degree cook on a sirloin tip roast really aided the tenderness.  Considering chuck cuts have so much more fat to break down (like a brisket or butt), I'd probably try 190-195 for a longer time.  Obviously, the smaller/thinner cut of a chuck roast is not going to cook like a brisket, but I would think low and slow would help the tenderness.  Internal temp is the same, no matter how long it takes to get to it, isn't it?  Thoughts??  This whole roast thing is going to be a learning process for all of us...not exactly your "traditional" Q! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »
If I weren't injecting this prep it might be an option; like butchers, I don't simply poke one hole ... it's a 3D grid to permit maximum flavor penetration and those holes are the issue.  With the typical (and reasonable) temp swings as the element cycles on and off during 95+ days in Houston, there's a dramatic uptick in risk of bacteria as I've noticed the element does operate differently depending on environmental norms; as the chamber is already semi-heated (in direct line of sunlight, ambient heat, etc. I'm simply not willing to run the risk of "fooling" the internal thermostat and driving the temp down below 160.  With a marinade rather than injection I'd be more willing to accept a lower temperature for smoking.

The texture/chew was 85% good, 15% chewy, an acceptable ratio for Choice chuck roast done in a new prep.  Either way, I'll be tinkering with it in the months to come.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »
Can't wait to hear what the "tinkering" yields!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »
Guys... Any updates?

I have a sirloin tip that I want to do...

brine? Temp? Time?
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »
Steve, the next sirloin tip roast I do will follow my prime rib protocol.  200 smoker until IT hits 128 (med rare), wrap/rest for 1/2 hour while the oven heats to 550, then reverse-sear (6-7 min) until the outside is nice and brown.  A good sirloin tip should be about as tender as prime rib with this method.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:18:36 AM »
Understood.

Temp for rare? 120?

Roughly how long should I game plan? We will go by IT however just to ball park it.... I'd say this one is in the 4lb range.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!