Author Topic: Smoked sirloin tip roast  (Read 30438 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Smoked sirloin tip roast
« on: August 03, 2013, 07:22:47 PM »
Getting a little crazy tomorrow, and smoking a 4.77 lb sirloin tip roast!  I plan on injecting it with Tony Chacherie's butter garlic injection tonight, let it sit in the fridge, and then coat with onion salt and Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning before smoking.  I plan to smoke at 200 until internal temp is about 140 (going for medium).  I'll let it rest for 30 minutes out of the smoker, then reverse-sear in the oven at 500 untill the crust is browned. 

I've done prime rib like this, and the results were incredible!  Any suggestions on a sirloin roast would be appreciated! 

BTW, on the Tony C's butter garlic injection:  If you do a chuck roast in the crock pot for pot roast, do yourself a favor and inject with this the night before.  It makes the most incredibly tender pot roast, with a little zing, I've ever had! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

Re: Smoked sirloin tip roast
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »
Shoot that butter garlic into a briskie the night before and you won't be sorry...........keep us posted on this excellent sounding cook tomorrow..... 8)

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »
Just injected the roast and rubbed with Jim Baldridge seasoning.  In the fridge til cook time.  I'm probably gonna throw it in about noon tomorrow...shouldn't take more than about 4 hours, I think.  Straight hickory on this one - nothing fancy.  I'll let you know how it turns out! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »
Smoke, I was actually going to do a briskie like that, but the selection at Sam's today was terrible (which is unusual).  Saw a good looking sirloin tip roast, so I thought I'd try something different!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
I put the roast in #1 at 12:00.  5 oz of hickory dowels, 200-degrees.  I'm roasting this one on a rack in a pan, so I can catch the juice for au jus!  Looking at about a 4-hour cook.
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
What's the final prep going to be?
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 07:29:37 PM »
Pulled it out of the smoker at 141, wrapped in foil.  Pre-heated the oven to 525, and sauted the squash & zucchini.  Here's the recipe for the side dish:

2 zucchini
2 yellow squash
1/2 Vidalia onion
1 ripe tomato
sprinkle with garlic salt
light sprinkle with kosher salt
Italian cheese (Romano, mozzarella, Parmesan, Asiago)

Saute the veggies in olive oil, then add the cheese.  Continue to cook until melted.

I put the roast in the oven for about 6 minutes, just to sear the outside.  Sliced it and dug in!  Didn't need to make the juices into au jus, as it was very juicy already, and quite tender.

Next time, I'm pulling it out at 135 (more medium-rare).  It was very good, but just a little more "done" than I expected.  It was medium, but I think a little more rare might have been better.

Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 12:49:17 AM »
Nice cook ... that'll make some good sammies for leftovers as well.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
Thanks, Joe.  This was an experiment, but the flavor turned out great.  If you have any ideas on how to get a little better crust (bark) on it, I'm all ears.  Tasted great, but looked a little anemic.  :(   I think next time I'll do away with the baking pan and go straight on the rack.  I think the aluminum pan shielded it too much.  Probably go straight on the rack, smoke until the exterior looks better, then maybe foil until it reaches temp?  Any suggestions here will be appreciated!
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »
Get a good cast iron skillet and put it in your oven; preheat to your maximum and let the skillet come to that temp.  Then, when you reverse sear place the meat in the pan ... think of it like cooking chicken under a brick (even heat from both top and bottom).  When I do prime rib at home I sear first with this method before the slow roasting ... I imagine it would work nicely with a reverse sear.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 09:53:15 PM »
Get a good cast iron skillet and put it in your oven; preheat to your maximum and let the skillet come to that temp.  Then, when you reverse sear place the meat in the pan ... think of it like cooking chicken under a brick (even heat from both top and bottom).  When I do prime rib at home I sear first with this method before the slow roasting ... I imagine it would work nicely with a reverse sear.

Good tip, Joe.  I, fortunately, own a couple of really good, old cast-iron skillets I inherited from my Mom.  She was a great "country cook" who would never even consider cooking in anything other than cast-iron (at least for frying pans).  I'll give it a whirl!
Tony from NW Arkansas

bighoss

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
can you make it into pulled beef like brisket

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
Hoss, I don't think it would be very tender - too lean.  I was going for the medium/medium-rare "poor man's prime rib" with this one.  It was tasty, and pretty tender, but I would think over-cooking it might make it tough.  Bet you could use a cut that has good marble in it, like a chuck roast, to cook long enough to pull.  Hmmm....got me thinking. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

bighoss

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »
ya me to cause here in florida a brisket is to much for me rite every places i have looked to day they want like 6 bucks a pound but do u think a chuck roast would be good

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
A chuck roast, I'm sure, would be very good - but I don't think you'll get a brisket flavor (very different cuts of meat).  Hard to believe that a cow can have so many taste varieties!  Just think about the different tastes you get from different cuts of steak alone!  Big difference in taste between a filet mignon and a tri-tip!

Here's a chuck roast recipe recipe from UWFSAE (Joe) that looks pretty tasty:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=878.0

Hopefully, some others will join in the discussion on chuck roasts!  This might be a good experiment for this weekend!  I think I'll get a big chuck roast, season it like a brisket, and give it a shot (just in the name of science, of course) ;D ;D   I think the fat content should make it render well, and be pretty tender. 
Tony from NW Arkansas