Author Topic: How did you find out about Smokin-It?  (Read 35369 times)

Bigumdaddyo

Re: How did you find out about Smokin-It?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »
 I am glad you asked. I never thought (nor did my family or friends) or even think I would own or use an electric smoker. I bad-mouthed anything that did not use charcoal and/or wood. It was my CB stick burner that made me feel like hey I could become a BBQ chef.  I am not sure what sparked my interest (fathers day maybe), but when something does I love nothing more than researching the heck out of it on the internet. I read all about electric smokers. I ran across the Smokin-it on Amazon and checked out their web site. It looked good, but not many reviews on the net. It came down to the Cookshack, Smokin-it and Smoken-Tex.  I went as far as ordering the Smoken-Tex 1400 and paid for it using PayPal. It was due to ship the next morning. That night I was watching YouTube videos on electric smokers and saw an out of box review of the model #2 by garygardens and a first smoke of the Smokin-it model #3 by Daniel Slagle. I also saw several other Smokin-it videos. I did a little more searching and found Smokeasaurus's out of the box review of the Smokin-it # 3 on the LetsTalkbbq.com. Oh man! I had buyers remorse in a bad way! I got up the next morning (at 5 AM) and started calling the company I bought the Smoken-Tex from. No one answered the phone so I left a couple messages and sent an email. Well, about two hours later the owner of the store (MyRubberNeck.com) called me. I explained I made a mistake purchasing his smoker and wanted to cancel. He understood and  refunded  my PayPal account with-in a half an hour. I have had my Smokin-it smoker a couple of weeks now and never looked back.
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »
Yep, I'm DivotMaker there, too, Smoke!   ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:25:48 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »
I am glad you asked. I never thought (nor did my family or friends) or even think I would own or use an electric smoker. I bad-mouthed anything that did not use charcoal and/or wood. It was my CB stick burner that made me feel like hey I could become a BBQ chef.  I am not sure what sparked my interest (fathers day maybe), but when something does I love nothing more than researching the heck out of it on the internet. I read all about electric smokers. I ran across the Smokin-it on Amazon and checked out their web site. It looked good, but not many reviews on the net. It came down to the Cookshack, Smokin-it and Smoken-Tex.  I went as far as ordering the Smoken-Tex 1400 and paid for it using PayPal. It was due to ship the next morning. That night I was watching YouTube videos on electric smokers and saw an out of box review of the model #2 by garygardens and a first smoke of the Smokin-it model #3 by Daniel Slagle. I also saw several other Smokin-it videos. I did a little more searching and found Smokeasaurus's out of the box review of the Smokin-it # 3 on the LetsTalkbbq.com. Oh man! I had buyers remorse in a bad way! I got up the next morning (at 5 AM) and started calling the company I bought the Smoken-Tex from. No one answered the phone so I left a couple messages and sent an email. Well, about two hours later the owner of the store (MyRubberNeck.com) called me. I explained I made a mistake purchasing his smoker and wanted to cancel. He understood and  refunded  my PayPal account with-in a half an hour. I have had my Smokin-it smoker a couple of weeks now and never looked back.

That's a great testimonial, Daddyo!  My hope is that all these great ideas will help Steve and Ben really grow their company!  They definitely beat-out some of the "big boys" in your case!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »
This one's kinda gone cold...  Anyone else out there want to share their story of how they found the best smokers on the market today?? 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smoke Monkey

• Porkchops and bacon, my two favorite animals.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
I found out about Smokin-It after researching smokers on the internet to replace my old Brinkman charcoal smoker (which was always a hassle to use). I was trying to make up my mind whether to go with a gas or electric smoker. After reading dozens of reviews on both I decided to look for an electric smoker due to the ease of use and not having to worry about running out of propane or stoking a fire. I stumbled on a link to a video on YouTube of a guy unboxing a Smokin-It model #2, seasoning the unit and doing his first smoke. I was really impressed with the way the unit looked. I decided to investigate further and found several other videos which demonstrated the ease of use and quality construction of the unit. After a visit to the Smokin-It website and reading  several posts on the forum I decided to pull the trigger and order a Model  #2.

I am happy I did. Not only do I feel that I found a quality product but also have found a community of fellow Smokin-It owners for support along with a company that cares about it’s customers.

Happy Smokin'
Steve from Albany, NY
Proud owner of a 2013 Model #2 and a
Weber Genesis for grillin' and rotisserie

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 08:21:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Steve! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

rickne

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 11:48:42 PM »
I thought I would revive a good thread since I'm a brand new Model 3 owner.

Like several others, I never thought I would go Electric.  It wasn't "natural".  I love cooking and my family loves BBQ.  But I just didn't have time to do it and didn't.  My neighbor bought a MES and I helped him with his first two cooks.  The food turned out good and I was amazed how simple it was.  I decided I had to have electric so that I could cook more often.  Thus, the search started.  It quickly came down to CS, ST, and SI through internet research.  I entertained a Blazin Grill Works Pellet cooker for a while. It's a really nice unit.  But I didn't think I would get the smoke that I wanted from it and it was pricey.  I have a grill and didn't need another one.

I chose the Smokin-it for four reasons:  Size/value = larger cooking area for the money, double latched door, 12 foot cord, and couldn't find a negative review.

I almost went Smokin Tex 1400  because I could pick one up for the same price locally.  But I decided I would be "settling".  I wanted the extra capacity and the double latch door. 
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »
Glad you went SI, Rick!  Thanks for the info!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 10:55:42 PM »
I just registered, thanks for the tipoff.  Now we can start spreading the news on the Smokin-It product line, help Steve grow his business.  He will have to start some kind of smokin point system that we can use to get discounts on future purchases.....  Kidding of course, anything to help Steve out.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:15:56 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »
I just registered, thanks for the tipoff.  Now we can start spreading the news on the Smokin-It product line, help Steve grow his business.  He will have to start some kind of smokin point system that we can use to get discounts on future purchases.....  Kidding of course, anything to help Steve out.

Hehe...I'm all about the "point system," T!  I'm wanting to upgrade to a #3 next spring! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »
In regards to my purchase, I spent many hours researching and I really liked what I saw about the Smokin-It smoker, but with very little information, I was hesitant.  I kept learning towards cooks hack, but the price and size where a sticking point, but then I started looking at replacement parts and the electronic temp control was a steep $225 large ones.  At the same time, time I couldn't get the Smokin-It out of my mind.   Then I started looking at the smokin text as an alternative to the cookshack, but the features on the Smokin-It were just to good to be true and a comparable product.  Well, needless to say, my heart was set on the #3 and I never looked back and absolutely no regrets.  It is the. Best bang for the buck, great quality, customer service and Steve stands behind his product.  I love my smoker.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

BIG BOB

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 08:52:25 AM »
I have never owned a smioker, so I researched a lot of reviews, almost bought a MES, my buddy has a MES Xl propane, and I knew it was a lot of babysitting, and strangely, one day... Smokin-it review came across the screen, - i was intrigued, all reviews were great for the most part.     BUT.... the true selling point for me was this forum. I know that I could ask questions, share ideas, etc with others who have the same smoker as me. That is what sealed the deal.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »
Good info, guys!  Thanks for the input!
Tony from NW Arkansas

sts3d

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
My son and I were at the Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo last March and saw t the Smokin-it display I talked to whom ever was working the booth. He was very knowledgeable , I liked what i saw.They had a deal on a scratch and dent #2........ We wandered around the show for a while..... I then went back to pull the trigger but all the smokers they had on hand were spoken for. So 8 months later I had to have one(#2) when my POS smoker crapped out on a brisket I was doing for a neighborhood party. My neighbors tend to collect on my back porch when there's smoke in the air  ;)
I'll even smoke the squeal.

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 03:58:36 AM »
I had gone through a lot of smokers from the big box guys and a unit from the local BBQ shop. I went online to search for something better. Glad that I found Smokin-It, never been happier.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2