Author Topic: How did you find out about Smokin-It?  (Read 35433 times)

Captn Cook

Re: How did you find out about Smokin-It?
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 05:07:38 PM »
Found this post and as a new recruit to the forum I thought I'd add my short, simple story.   

For decades I'd been a dedicated 'griller'....certainly not a week would pass without something coming from the grill, and most weeks, several 'cookouts' per week. 

Maybe 7-8 years ago my youngest daughter (bless her soul!!) bought me a small electric smoker that looked like one of those old-timey electric 'roasters'.  Well it was love at first smoke, and over a period of years, despite caring for my baby with religious fervor, it finally rusted-out.  Replacement parts weren't to be found, and the unit was no longer sold.

I was BUMMED.... so began my search (Internet of course given the age) for a new one.  Stainless steel was my first priority, and fitting the designated space on my porch/deck (wife calls it my outdoor kitchen...but not fancy enough to deserve such a name) was second. 

I examined closely the offerings of several makers, reading reviews about them, checking out their forums if they had one, etc.  It pretty easily narrowed down to Smokin-it and now I have a new 'love at first smoke'. Despite living on the water (salt that is), I'm thinking the cabinet will still be in bristol shape when it becomes an inventory item in my 'estate'.  I stocked up on several temperature controllers and heating elements, so I should be good to go for as long as I'm good to go.
George from the 'Redneck Riviera'...the beautiful Emerald Coast of Florida's panhandle

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »
Sounds like you're set, George!  Pretty smart thinking, buying elements and controllers ahead of time!  You never know what the future holds, so good to be prepared! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Wik

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »
For me it was some intense web searching.  I had my eye on one of the competitors for a couple years, then this fall I began my search again on web, amazon, etc.  I think Amazon probably was probably my first hit on this smoker along with another similar brand.  I basically sat down and compared models / sizes / features.  Granted I knew I wanted a "hold" feature, but it was just too expensive on all the competitors.  Then I seen Smokin-it with its analog version and on the same site the Auber PID if I wanted to add that type of feature.  It still seemed like a better value than all the competition.

So the only thing that I was caught up on is made in USA or not.  To be honest I have some Beer Brewing equipment from overseas from Stout Tanks and by far it was the best value out there, so I decided to let go made in the USA factor and pull the trigger on a Smokin-it #3.  Shipping was prompt and I was impressed with the quality and sturdiness of the smoker.  Needless to say I only waited a couple weeks to order the Auber PID from right here as well.  Again shipping was very quick.

Lastly I had one small issue and when I reached out (on Christmas Eve since it was front of mind during my smoke that day).  I really didn't think I would have anyone contact me until later that day or after the 1st of the year for that matter, but within a hour or two I got a response back and resolution was already planned.  I about fell out of my chair when I saw the email that day.

Needless to say I'm TOTALLY impressed with the product, customer service, and all the great people contributing and helping others out on this forum.  I sound like a salesperson, but this is definitely one purchase I will never 2nd guess.

Happy new year everyone,
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

rickne

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 12:30:55 AM »
I love the fargo/mordhead area!  Miss going up there cor the big squirt tournament.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
This is a Copy of my Email to SI that I sent with my order:

Smokin-it,

I stopped at a friends house last night for a few beers and to admire their new baby boy. While visiting I mentioned that I  was getting a Bradley Smoker.  I had borrowed a Bradley in the past and had good results. At that time , my friend looked at me like I had just dropped his child and stated "Oh……K"

A few later beers into the evening he put his hand on my shoulder and with a grave look on his face, and said "I know you may have your heart set on that Bradley, but let me show you what you need."
I then received a demo and testamonial on his Smokin-it Model #2. He is thrilled with it and loves the food he can produce. I admired the quality of construction and the ability to use multiple wood types. While the Bradley does make tasty food I had always been slightly turned off by it's Refurbished Dorm-Frige appearance, and frustrated by being limited to the hockey pucks for smoke.

I thought your prices were reasonable for what I am receiving and I appreciate the gift of the chip tray and rib hooks. However I was shocked by the obscene shipping costs. I guess that is the negative aspect of All Stainless Steel Construction.

If you would like to include a thank-you note or small gift as commission to your Michigan Sales Representative, Detective Adam (Name and Dept. included on original) PD with my order I would be happy to deliver it to him.

I look forward to using my #3,
Brian

*Update SI sent my buddy a Flavorsavor and Seafood Rack, so get out there and refer some new owners!
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Jackie

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »
I was researching pellet grills because of the auto feed system and realized I wanted one mostly for smoking.
One internet link led to another and I found electric smokers.  The competitors all seemed to have major flaws in the $300 - $500 price range.  It is almost like Steve looked at the more expensive smokers and thought he could make one just as good for less money.  Positive reviews on customer service, replaceable inexpensive heating elements, and comments on this forum made my decision easy.
Jackie from South Carolina
Gamecocks are Smoking

DivotMaker

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Jackie!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

moelkhuntr

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »
Still waiting on the 4 the specials. No newsletter yet. Waiting to order a #2.
Cattle farmer, hunter & fisherman

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
Seriously? You could be smoking right now. Your only talking about a few dollars worth of stuff. It would be nice but dont let it get in the way of good food.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »
Order today and you'll get a free cover!  It's on the website.
Tony from NW Arkansas

moelkhuntr

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »
Been in hay field all day and just checked web site and ordered #2.
Cattle farmer, hunter & fisherman

DivotMaker

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2014, 10:40:29 PM »
Been in hay field all day and just checked web site and ordered #2.

Congrats!  Oh, on the hay, too! ;)   Looking forward to having you around!
Tony from NW Arkansas

restorick2378

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »
From the looks of this thread I was in the same boat as many others.  Not sure about electric smokers, my only experience was a friend's MES and he was hot/cold with how it performed.  Another friend got a Traeger for Father's day and raves about it.  The food was good, but not really "smoked" if you know what I mean.  And I wasn't keen on the combo grill/smoker idea.  I already have a well broken in Weber for my grilling, so I really wanted a good smoker.

My brother is into smoking anything, and he knows his way around a charcoal/wood smoker.  But quite frankly, while I was learning how to use it, I became frustrated because I'd have to hang around and tend the smoker for 6-10 hours straight.  The idea of being able to "set and forget" using the #3 with the Auber PID really got me shifting my preference from wood to electric smokers.

My first real exposure to Smokin-It was like this:
  • I googled "Traeger alternative" and found some sites for other grills/smokers
  • I visited those sites and they pointed me to smoker specific forums
  • Cookshack got my attention first, but soon I found Smokin-Tex
  • Searching for reviews on that company, I found Smokin-It and liked what I saw

It sounds like a lot of steps, but in reality, it maybe took me 2 search sessions to find this place.  That said, I'm a much more patient and determined searcher than the typical consumer.

If Steve is looking to grow the company, my suggestion would be to invest in organic search and not do pay-per-click.  PPC is very expensive and can erode cash flow quickly.  Organic means getting more videos on YT, doing some site work to get better rankings for keyword searches, maybe even being more visible on some other forums.  Maybe even a referral program for existing customers?  (hint, hint...)

Not knowing his growth tolerance, he would definitely need to research the options to determine the best option, as nothing would be worse than for him to get a ton of great visibility and not be able to deliver.

For the record, I'm not a web guy, but I do consult with companies on sales, marketing and customer service operations.  Also for the record, I'm gonna be on top of the watch tower telling everyone I can about Steve's support, responsiveness, and of course, his product quality (as soon as I get it next Monday!   ;D)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...  Have a great weekend!
Rick
Rick from Wisconsin
#3 with Auber PID - Lazy-Q heaven on earth!

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Rick!  Those are things we're actually working on.  As you know, it takes a little time in a competitive market to get good ranking.  Ben, the IT Guy, is heading that way.  One thing that really builds organic results is good content!  We're fortunate to be ranking pretty well in searches for recipes and smoking techniques.  But yes, I agree that the product website is a little more difficult to find than it should be.  Bear with us, and keep those suggestions coming!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Barrel99

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »
Really interesting to see how others made their decision on Smokin-it. For me it wasn't too different. I have been smoking using the Weber 22 inch kettle for a long time. I would throw in the charcoal briquettes a bunch of wood and smoke. Lots of billowing white smoke. It always tasted good, but not like real smoking. It was always a hot smoke, fast. Had to watch it at all times.

Then I got a Landmann vertical propane smoker. This changed everything for me. I was able to maintain a reasonably good and consistent temperature while using my Maverick. But, I had to watch things constantly. A pork butt took all day of watching and tending to the wood box and water pan. Here in South Florida that meant sitting by the pool all day, going in the water when it got too hot and having a few beers. Too tiring for me. Life is tough.

I recently saw an infomercial for the Masterbuilt MES that looked like it was real easy to use. I went online and found Sam's sells the 40 inch for $300 + shipping. I bought it. After trying it a few times and not liking the way the chips burned, I bought the Amazen pellet box. Smoke was better, but I did not like the machine and returned it.

Then I researched and was going to get a pellet smoker like the Rec Tec because it was the cheapest of the better machines, but not really what I wanted. Strictly a price consideration. More than $1000 was too much. I really did not want to spend more than $500. That led me to the Cookshack, high priced, and the SmokinTex a real consideration. Further research came up with the Smokin-it. I liked the price (shipping sucks), the size, the great reviews and the large racks for ribs so I purchased it.

That's my story.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:36:37 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!