Author Topic: Using wood chips vs hickory chunks.  (Read 10085 times)

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Using wood chips vs hickory chunks.
« on: July 10, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »
Hi everyone:

I bought the wood chip insert with my Model #2.  I want to start experimenting with different types of wood, as I only have used the hickory dowel chunks from Smokin-it.  They work great, and I will always have them on hand, but I want to now venture out. 

Should I soak the chips before using the smoker?  Do I add more chips than I would a hickory chunk because of faster burn?  I have been using about 3 ounces of hickory chunks. 

Thanks. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Using wood chips vs hickory chunks.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:01:50 PM »
With chips, I would soak them for 30 minutes prior to use ... chunks shouldn't need it.  I will note that you will tend to get longer, more consistent burns (i.e., better smoke) with chunks.  While online vendors like Fruita Wood or Maine Grilling Woods may not be for everyone, there are still others choices to consider.

I'd definitely shop locally if you can; n local BBQ/Grilling/Smoking business should be able to direct you to a regional purveyor or even stock specialty woods themselves.  Alternatively, you may consider some of the Weber chunk woods (available through Amazon.com or others) as they've been reasonable options in a pinch.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:32:50 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »
I would soak wood chips.  For a 3+ hr smoke, I would suggest enough chips to get 2-3oz of wood; otherwise, a small amount of chips would be gone in less than an hour.   I guess chips would be best suited for short smoking events, but I actually bought the smokin-it unit for the benefit of using wood chunks.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »
I, personally, love the convenience of chunks.  No special grate, no soaking, etc.  The best feature of these smokers is convenience in achieving quality results, and I find chunks allow that.  The chunks smoulder for the right amount of time, and there's no reload required.  The hickory dowels from Smokin-It are awesome, and they're talking about adding some additional woods.  I have apple, cherry, and peach from Fruitawood.com, and they work well, tool.  My only problem with their chunks is the size; they are generally too big for our smoke boxes.  I've had to re-size them to fit.  Quality wood, though.  Stay away from the big-box store brand woods; they are typically too dry for our smokers (they'll flare-up and burn instead of smoulder). 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 10:09:11 AM »
chunks.  chunks smolder.   chips burn to fast and can become a temporary heat source.  chips may be handy if you are doing poultry and want a real light smoke profile......

es1025

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »
I agree, the chunks are the way to go.  Although you may have to re-size the chunks they do burn very well.  the smoker is so tight you don't want to interrupt the smoking process by having to add chips.  I typically go 4oz on shorter smokes and 6 oz on longer smoker.  I do like the hickory dowels from Steve, can't wait until I can get the cherry wood dowels.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Spresso

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
I don't think you need to soak your chips at all.  All soaking does is delay the smoke.  After a while it will be at the same temp and humidity level as it would have been without the smoking....
Actually if you want to extend the smoking time from chips.  soak half your chips and wrap them in foil. 
make another  wrap with your unsoaked chips.   you just created 2 different time slots for the smoke to start...
depending on where you place your chips also makes a difference,   
mine is hot on the back,  less so at the front....

I have been smoking with chips as opposed to chunks as I have a LOT of chips left over from using my grill to smoke previously.  I just calculated and I needed 12-14x as much wood chips before the #3 came along.   huge difference in preparation, time and money!!
I have a lot of different flavours too, so it may be a while before ( if at all ) before I decide to switch to chunks....
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

cjr71244

• New to Smoking, model 1 owner
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 10:39:12 AM »
found this interesting chart which helps me figure out what woods I should use for each type of meat. Would love to hear your guys thoughts.

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 07:50:48 PM »
That's a good chart, Chris - thanks for sharing!  Have you seen our chart?  Hope it helps!

Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

cjr71244

• New to Smoking, model 1 owner
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 07:09:30 AM »
I didn't know about your guys chart! I'll go with that thanks

Codered1080

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »
nice chart beats writing all my temps on my smoker  8) 8) 8)

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
Glad to help, Red!
Tony from NW Arkansas