Author Topic: Smoker Essentials: Bayou Classic Stainless-Steel Seasoning Injector  (Read 4630 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
I remember doing cookouts in college or for fraternity rush using cheap injector after injector after injector ... they were neat little devices, and a great way to enhance flavor for the novice griller/smoker, but they were flimsy and prone to leaking.  Fast forward a decade plus change and I still love the injection philosophy but have the good sense to spend a bit more up front for a much better toy.

The Bayou Classic Stainless-Steel Injector hold two ounces of liquid and comes with two injector needles:  one for liquids and the other that can be used for marinade with minced ingredients.  While not without some flaws, it's head and shoulders above any other plastic injector I've used and has improved my ability to create juicy brisket and pork butt.

PROS:
1.  Stainless steel construction is extremely sturdy and after a year shows no sign of wear and tear.
2.  Easily broken down for cleaning and reassembly is just as straightforward.
3.  The dual needle setup gives me something that the cheaper plastic injectors never could: the ability to deliver marinade with minced garlic, shallots, etc. deep into the meat.

CONS:
1.  The single biggest drawback is a silicone ring that allows the syringe to maintain a leak-proof seal.  If you're not careful, you can easily tear this and as far as I can tell there is no way to get a replacement from the manufacturer.
2.  The needle for marinades with minced content will sometimes clog, necessitating the push/pull method of clearing the injector needle.
3.  My "sous chef" doesn't like it as she complains it's a bit big for her hands.  (That's what she said!)
4.  A very minor quibble would be that I miss seeing the volume of content remaining as you could with plastic injectors.  Even a small strip window might weaken the integrity of the syringe design so this is by no means a deal breaker as I'll trade this wish for durability every day of the week.

FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS:
Injections are a bit of a contentious subject for many smokers; traditionalists reject them in favor of traditional marinades or a rub on its own.  For my money, I'd rather inject some simple flavor into larger hunks of meat like brisket (and the occasional pork butt) than suffer from dryness.  I think that this fulfills a niche in the smoker's gizmo arsenal and a very useful one at that.  For a smoker who takes care of his equipment and understands that this product has some limitations then it is a solid addition for the BBQ'ing hobbyist.

VENDOR RECOMMENDATIONS:
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-5011-Stainless-Steel-Seasoning/dp/B000KDZ1VA/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:12:57 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Re: Smoker Essentials: Bayou Classic Stainless-Steel Seasoning Injector
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:27:05 PM »
Here's another option and the one I use (I have the 4 oz. model).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cabin/Food-Processing/Smokers-Accessories%7C/pc/104798880/c/104723280/sc/104582880/Cabelas-Commercial-Marinade-Injectors/728895.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F_%2FN-1101300%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104798880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104798880%3Bcat104582880#tabsCollection

This model doesn't come with a minced marinade needle but I haven't had much luck with minced marinades. Even with other injectors I've owned that had a minced marinade needle they always clogged on me.

Also, the oring on this model seems much heavier duty (it's orange in color) than the silicone ones I've had on other models plus it comes with one spare.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:29:54 PM by afratki »
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »
Heh ... looks like the same injector with the Cabela's logo slapped on it.  I like the four-ounce option, but I will note that the minced marinade needle can work with a really fine mince.  Does the Cabela's model have a silicone o-ring on the head of the plunger assembly as well?  I attached the image below to see if it's the same internal design.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:59:26 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »
Ha! I thought the same thing at first but the Cabela's model is nickel plated brass while the Bayou is stainless steel (can't say which is better though). Looks like the plunger design is different also.

The Cabela's has an orange oring that IMO is heavier duty that the translucent orings I've had with other injectors.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!