Author Topic: Why can't I get over 210 degees?  (Read 12303 times)

Thin Blue

Re: Why can't I get over 210 degees?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
I hope he will give us an update. On the 4th I cooked two 7# butts for 16 hrs
and only got to 185d with temp swing from 185d to 237d.
Thats a 52d swing. Whats with that. Thinking maybe Ironhorse07 may
have some info for me or should I contact Steve.
The #3 and stand I purchased are fantastic, but, the temp swings
I don't like. :-\
FYI: door was keep shut for entire cook.
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 11:12:29 PM »
I hope he will give us an update. On the 4th I cooked two 7# butts for 16 hrs
and only got to 185d with temp swing from 185d to 237d.
Thats a 52d swing. Whats with that. Thinking maybe Ironhorse07 may
have some info for me or should I contact Steve.
The #3 and stand I purchased are fantastic, but, the temp swings
I don't like. :-\
FYI: door was keep shut for entire cook.

I'm wondering if this is a common theme with electric smokers, and analog dials.  I would like to see a digital controller that would cycle the element on and off in a more precise manner (like our electric ovens do).  But, I've mentioned before that I believe the temp swings are not that big a deal at the end of the day (smoke).  The temp may swing, but it always seems to average-out to be correct (as far as the cook timing is concerned).  I've only actually monitored the internal temp of my unit a couple of times, and it was "within acceptable range."  I find stressing-out over cooker temp too much - personally.  I'd rather focus on internal temp of the meat, and how it's looking when I open the door to spritz or just evaluate.  That tells me more that all the analysis of internal temp of the smoker.  ...maybe I'm not analytical enough, but I focus on results.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »
Okay ... on this issue I think Shakespeare said it best:  "Much ado about nothing."

When I was researching smokers to purchase, I noticed the temp swing issue on all analog units (ex:  the SmokinTex website's FAQ section noted swings of 45 were normal) and there seems to be no difference with the analog Smokin-Its.  Yes, a computer controller would provide much greater precision ... but at much greater cost and with a greater likelihood of catastrophic equipment failure.

If you search Google with the search string "electric smoker temperature swing" you see similar concerns about non-digital Cookshack Smokettes, Bradley, Masterbuilt, SmokinTex, etc.  I can say from my own experiences that wood burners and charcoal burners also face temperature swings, especially if you're not babysitting them with a careful eye and a heavy hand.

Yes, if you're seeing abnormally low temperatures with a failure to match set temp using conditions similar to the seasoning process then a little customer service call might help.  Otherwise, you're best off looking at meat temp as your primary indicator.  Water pans will definitely help stabilize your temp swings, as will keeping it under cover from direct summer sunlight, too small or too large a load, keeping the door closed, and other incremental strategies ad infinitum.  Long story short, you'll see some variance but it's nothing the well-insulated Smokin-Its and many similar competitors can't handle.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:59:57 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
When i had the pork butt on the 4th, the temperature swings were well above what I thought was possible.  The smoker hit 270 and then back down to 220.  I caulked it up to the ambient temps and the foil.  It certainly could be the quantity of meat in the smoker. I would recommend trying ribs and see if the problem still exists. Good luck!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Spresso

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 06:21:09 AM »
My only concern was prior to purchase that the smoker won't hit the required temperature.  I was hoping if I set it at 250 then the inside temperatures will average out to 250. Lets say swings between 225 and 275.
Luckily mine does that so I'm happy.   There have been a very few (rare) documented case where the smoker just couldn't reach temperature and Steve has sent out new control units.

Also to keep in mind that the more you load up the units the less heat will rise to the top and hotter the bottom will be.  Keep that in mind when you load up the smoker with different cuts of meat. 
ie:  put larger cuts on the bottom if you want them done at the same time as smaller cuts on the top.
Alternatively you can swap the racks every couple of hours.
Zed
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber